over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how do you perform your skullcrushers?

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have always did mine on a bench or on the floor (video on youtube of jason wojo doing them this way).

Ive also seen some guys in the gym do them on an incline, and some doing them straight up in the air (seated).

Im thinking about switching to an incline or seated, ive never really felt like i got much out of them doing it laying down. It almost feels like im not getting the full ROM of the tricep this way :confused:

I alternate them between flat bench, and incline bench (never tried on the floor) as well as alternate between using barbells and dumbbells

doing them straight above head would be considered a French Press which I believe works the long muscle head of the tricep more than any other angle

These are a pain in the ass for me. If I put too little weight, I don't feel anything. If I put more weights on I feel like my elbows are taking most of the load and I'm barely hitting my triceps. I only do flat. Never thought about incline.

I haven't done them in a while, but when I did do them, I used DBs. My left triceps is weaker and so I liked to use DBs to make sure right didn't do too much of the work.

Flat bench, lying down. Palms facing each other, down to ears and up but Don't lock out! Keep tension on triceps. Go down the rack with weights. Example: 65sxfail, 60xfail, 55xfail. Gets a good pump in all three muscle heads.

I actually feel DECLINE works the best, also remember seeing a study years ago backing this statement, something in terms of muscle fiber recruitment I believe. Between the two, I've always stuck to them this way.

Skull crushers are one my all time favorites.
I always use the ez- curl bar (narrow grips, not the wide) on a flat bench. Triceps Straight up and down and the only thing moving is from the elbows down. I see a lot of guys with wide grip, elbows flared out, rowing the arms.
These are the best tricep exercise there is if there done correctly and heavy imo.

I prefer to avoid crushing the skull. I pump pullover press. The tri's get destroyed and everyone is happy.

I like using a decline bench or floor,i train alone so its easier to get the EZ curl bar in position.

I do them with the H-bar,sitting.

Last edited:
I usually do them standing with an olympic bar...more of a french press, like Creed428 stated. Make sure you warm your elbows up. Too much weight hinging on your elbows can be painful and can cause problems down the road.

Skull crushers are one my all time favorites.
I always use the ez- curl bar (narrow grips, not the wide) on a flat bench. Triceps Straight up and down and the only thing moving is from the elbows down. I see a lot of guys with wide grip, elbows flared out, rowing the arms.
These are the best tricep exercise there is if there done correctly and heavy imo.

:yeahthat:

My thoughts exactly, one of my faves. My training partner does not like them tho... :(

I actually feel DECLINE works the best, also remember seeing a study years ago backing this statement, something in terms of muscle fiber recruitment I believe. Between the two, I've always stuck to them this way.

yeah, i read an article in m&f or flex where they measured the contraction and decline skullcrushers were superior to the others. those and upright dips.
so i did decline also, til my elbows got all tendonitusy.

i don't do them at all.....save your elbows do close grip bench instead. you still get to go heavy and your triceps will respond.

i don't do them at all.....save your elbows do close grip bench instead. you still get to go heavy and your triceps will respond.

Yeah, it used to aggrevate my elbows if I ever went heavy. I did like doing them one armed seated pressing them overhaed with a dumbell since you cant use a lot of weight and it seemed to hit the muscle pretty hard while not hurting the joint.

I have never had problems with my shoulders or elbow joint when performing Skull Crushers. I prefer doing them on deline or flat bench keep the eblow as far back as I can, control the negative and almost pause on the bottom,"pushing the weight behind your head and not bring the weight over your body", Constant tension

i do them on the floor and have a dead stop between each rep

The real secret to long head growth is doing them with somewhat unorthodox form: The bar should move in a straight line, not an arc, this line isn't perfectly vertical, it angles back towards the head. The elbows should NOT be kept in tight, they should flair out naturally, and the upper arm DOES move at the shoulder somewhat.

The triceps are different than other "multi-head" muscles, each head does different functions: The medial head controls fine motor functions at the hand, the lateral head is involved in extremely rapid contractions, the long head is used for heavy pressing motions.

ill be the first to say...

flat bench.... cable.

I had been doing them with free weights for ages and one day switched cause there was no bar available.... and it was like a revelation... a burn i had never imagined and a pump i had never felt. Now i do them free weight on chest day and cable on arm day.

I have done them tons of diffeent ways but recently switched to decline DB skulls with palms facing eachother. I do these last in my tricep workout and let me tell you if you dont lock out and keep constant tension on the muscle with your arms more behind and back behind your head instead of above it is extremely hard!

25lb DBs feel like 100s at the end of a workout! Its pretty funny struggling with such light DBs. Try them sometime.

I have never had problems with my shoulders or elbow joint when performing Skull Crushers. I prefer doing them on deline or flat bench keep the eblow as far back as I can, control the negative and almost pause on the bottom,"pushing the weight behind your head and not bring the weight over your body", Constant tension

this is how I do'em

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc