advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do YOU stay motivated in bodybuilding?

TooPowerful4u

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Seems the past year im burnt on it. No desire to lift or compete. I view videos of parkour and gymnastics and wrestling and athleticism and just miss being able to do those things. What keeps me going is i am 31 and in my prime and only get better and better. I figure iv got 10yrs left til im maxed and regress. I also face the realty that its harder to be a respected coach without a pro card (yes its very possible, but harder and the majority of our industry isnt made up of smart individuals and a pro card is looked at like a PHD).

Problem is i get no joy out of my personal achievements. Iv recently won overalls and had high national placings and i never got an ounce of urge to celebrate or be happy. I get 10x the joy out of a client doing well (though the suspense gives me anxiety when i know prejudging has started). I used to fantasize about winning and id get that giddy smile about me (you all know what i mean). I think of winning the USA this year and its like EH.

Im wondering if the fire will ever return. Seems to have never left a lot of pros like Evan C and Juan Morel they live for it. I know many of you do too. I get it done day in and out and train like an animal because i know no other way.... but i no longer get excitement or joy from it. I guess i am looking for some therapeutic insight here.....

Give yourself a break, travel a bit, see different people and different places.

I just want to be #1 so that I can inspire others. When I think about the fact that I can inspire others and help make a difference in their life, it makes it worth it to me. When you are in a position of high recognition, you tend to have a bigger following and more people will follow what you have to say because they want to walk the same path. That makes the battle worth it to me... I feel like I can positively influence a lot of people in the sport and I really want to be able to do that. Becoming #1 in the sport of bodybuilding would be absolutely impossible for me and I would never want to even begin going down that path. Thankfully, the option is not nearly as difficult to attain with men's physique.
Though you don't participate in the same division, perhaps you can draw parallel's between what I said and apply it to your own division since it would in essence be the same applied ideology(just a different crowd). Not sure if this really helps you out at all......but I agree.....I also get 10x more joy seeing somebody's blood pressure drop from 150/90 on BP meds to 120 without BP meds. I also get joy out of seeing people add inches to their "stubborn" bodypart and becoming a better deadlifter etc.

Do you think perhaps it may be time to transition from having this be a competitive endeavor to having it be an enjoyable past-time? Maybe it's time to explore other avenues that bring you more joy and just continue training 3-4 hours a week for yourself

Last edited:
How do you not?

Maybe it's for the best.

Maybe it's time for you to move on and experience other things in life.

stepping away is not an option. Regret and "what if" would tear me apart inside out. I also know competing keeps me in the "spotlight" and in the public eye more than JUST coaching.

Iv been contemplating moving and starting over fresh in a new area..... but then again the grass isnt always greener.

I personally just love competition. On stage or in the gym trying to beat my best each week or seeing how far I can push my body in the gym.

I get it done day in and out and train like an animal because i know no other way.... but i no longer get excitement or joy from it.

Welcome to the club, TP... bodybuilding has to be one of the most consuming "hobby", and unless you find yourself something equally gratifying to devote your whole time to, chances are after all those years of full commitment you'll just keep on training out of habit, simply cause, as you implied, it became like a job to you, unpaid but certainly the one you excel the most in... while hating it at the same time, for you feel it might have kept you from investing as much energy, strenght and passion into maybe something more... well, "productive". :eek:

Im not sure how to explain it- its something in me that says I must. I am consumed by the fact I want to defeat my genetics, so many of personal bodybuilding goals have not been complteted, and Im not talking about competition goals like a pro card, Im talking about having a pro- looking physique, a pro looking back and chest, legs the whole thing, as long as I dont have the 'look' I want it, its what I wanted from day one.
Psychologically its like that thing that you know may be just out of reach, you know that most people, including yourself at times will say - no way- not possible - you just dont have the genetics....
Its all that wrapped up in one ball of insecurity, and discouragement- its me saying fuck that, I'm going to do this if it kills me.
Sometimes I wonder if I havent just lost my mind- what kinda stupid shit happened to me over my life to make me like this- its hard to explain- its me against me.
And win or not, I wont quit. For better or worse.

Phil you haven't even hit the age where you will see true motivation and determination. I'm 41 and when I was your age (before I got married and had 3 kids and had injuries) I was tearing it up. Top of the mountain. Then injuries seriously got in the way and a major career/business also took my focus away. Which is okay but was a long road coming back but it was needed for me to accel in my career making money I never had imagined as well as heal and come back from surgeries.

Now I have a level of motivation and desire and drive that I never had when I was younger. The beauty of it all is I don't party or go out so my discipline is even better for reaching my goals.

I'm now motivated to be healthier than ever. My goal was to achieve the best physique I've ever attained when I hit 42 which is nine months from now.

I'm motivated to be the sickest looking fuck on the ball field of all the parents when my son plays sports. I'm motivated by the guys in the gym when they ask my age they freak out not be leaving it. I am motivated by being "that guy" at the kids pool parties and beach with all the hot milfs looking at me and their husbands too lol. .. I look forward to every single fucking workout.

Maybe take a step back and maintain a bit and do whatever you need to do to change things up and focus on something else or just keep grinding and realize it only gets better albeit harder but better.

So trust me you ain't seen nothing yet this is just the middle of the week in your journey. It's hump day and before you know it your weekend so to say will be here for you to party.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I just have such a hard time driving to the gym which is 10 blocks away.

If you think you need help idk what i need.

ONLY you care about ANY of that^
your friends, your family, your loved one(s) just want you around and really don't care if your arms are 14" or 24"
and it doesn't pay the bills. in fact its an expense:lightbulb:
the bb'er is definitely a unique mindset. who else would destroy their health and wallet just to be bigger? its rather insane if you think about it.... and I did it for years so I am NOT judging. I was just as crazy lol
-F2S

My family and I are not that close- I love them but its a tenous relationship- i Have no wife or children no one depends on me but my dog.
My friends perhaps would miss me but honestly...they'd all get over it.
And Im not in this to do some crazy unhealthy shit anymore- I had my time with that- but sadly- there is nothing more in my life. I have no relationship or any chance at one-and the more I think about it the less I want one.
I do want more money and I work a shit ton to get ahead, call it crazy, sad whatever- there's plenty of people like me some even worse- many just dont admit it is all.
I have a life full of regret- but bodybuilding is not one of them- its personal to me its not about what other people thing so much - but Id be a liar if I said sometimes a compliment or two is nice.
Its about what I think about me, maybe I have some self loathing- Im not here to examine why- I answered the question honestly about what keeps me going.

Spent a lot of time and money working on looking like a fucking underwear model, then spent a shit ton more money on expensive clothes to look the part....then you realize that you are actually the ONLY person who gives a shit about the way you look, dress, etc. Everyone else is in the world is also concerned with themselves, but NOT you. So do what you want in life but don't ever pretend you are trying to please others or make yourself look good to anyone other than yourself because truthfully, no one really cares.

Seems simple but honestly I have spent many years figuring it out. I've never dated a girl who gives a single shit about the size of my arms, my abs, or anything else. Honestly at this point if I did, I would just think 'Damn, this bitch is as shallow as I am!' and it would be a turn off :p

The ladies only care that you are a) not fat and b) not broke.

Body building is just a hobby for me....
But I remember 31, and have been in the position that my hobby was just a career.

For most people, the lifestyle is the break from their daily grind. Speaking from experience as soon as you make something you love, something that is a career. It will wear on you. Find something to do as fun. If it's been so consuming of your life, you have little friendships and do nothing else....this needs to stop.

Most "bodybuilders" who can't let go, is because they have nothing else to look forward to.

Bodybuilding defines who they are, without it, they lose their sense of identity.

You can tell them all you can how life has so much to offer, they will never listen, because without their big muscles they think they are no bodies.

It's pretty sad.

I know a friend a big guy not a competitor, he works, goes to the gym, sleep and does it again and again, same routine. He's in his late 40s had a heart attack, and still can't let go of the steroids, he's afraid to get small.

How fucking sad is that.

And most people like that are broke.

Most "bodybuilders" who can't let go, is because they have nothing else to look forward to.

Bodybuilding defines who they are, without it, they lose their sense of identity.

You can tell them all you can how life has so much to offer, they will never listen, because without their big muscles they think they are no bodies.

It's pretty sad.

I know a friend a big guy not a competitor, he works, goes to the gym, sleep and does it again and again, same routine. He's in his late 40s had a heart attack, and still can't let go of the steroids, he's afraid to get small.

How fucking sad is that.

Sadly to a high degree this sounds a lot like me.
But at this point I don't care much about anything else, its the only thing I ever found that made me happy.
For some of us our situations dictate that there is NOT much more for life to offer- some of you may think its fear driven and to some degree its there but its not the only thing for me.
This is the ONE endeavor where I put time and energy in and I get something back- nothing else I have ever done in my life has been able to do that- NOTHING.
Thats sad- but its the truth.

burnt out

Same as some of the other Brothers say is take a break and do not be hard on yourself for not lifting. You know to keep diet clean and even cheat some and use your skills for your students and know that is enough for now. I gave up beating myself for not keeping my personal goals at times. You are young and you can have more than 10 years left in bodybuilding. I am 50 yrs old and everyday is a new one and I do well for 50.

How fucking sad is that.

It's called freedom bud. He's not hurting anyone other than himself, and it makes him happy. How is it sad that he's going to die doing what he loves?

It's called freedom bud. He's not hurting anyone other than himself, and it makes him happy. How is it sad that he's going to die doing what he loves?

Maybe he has family that loves him and or needs him? Maybe he is single and maybe he has no family but when you are married and have kids and have people who need you then it's time to put on your big boy pants and man up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members