over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how do you train your abs?

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've heard that very high volume works best for the type muscle that the abs are made from and I've heard treat them like any other muscle .
I've seen guys do weighted crunches and declined sit ups and i've seen some do hardly any ab exercises stating that just contract and squeezing then all day works.

So what ab exercises do you use

Many will tell you that weighted stuff will enlarge your waiste line, then you have others who need weighted movements to build them. Lots of guys dont even train abs but have them due to compound movements.

Many will tell you that weighted stuff will enlarge your waiste line, then you have others who need weighted movements to build them. Lots of guys dont even train abs but have them due to compound movements.

I haven't trained abs in years. I concentrate on contracting them with all my lift but never iso them. I believe abs are made in the kitchen with your food intake.

and Serge Nubret trained them for 30 min. before his workouts and sometimes again for 30 mins after workout.....check out his abs!! My guess would be to concetrate of a good contraction with each exercise/rep...no matter what you do...but who really wants to be there all day crunching abs

I do crunches, leg raises and side planks. About 10 minutes giant sets twice a week.

Depends how big your rib cage is I use to be a boxer so for 4 years I did over 1000 crunches leg lifts stand up crunches etc 5 days a week. So much so my ab muscles were huge so I stopped training then all together for 1 year and a bit lost track of time. The muscles atrophied a little now I do 3x a week am per cardio.

3 -4x crunches 15-20 (getting shoulder blade off the floor)
3-4x rev crunch 10-15( getting hips off the floor)
Optional leg lift 1-3x 10-12 ( just to almost parallel getting hips off floor at top)

I believe abs is all about contraction

(If only my arms grew like my abs)

twice a week....2 exercises for 4 sets of 15-25....leg lifts and crunches...done

I only train abs pre contest 4 sets to failure in the 10 to 15 rep range weighted leg raises on the roman chair. Then 4 sets rope crunches with same reps.

Does flexing them when Im working in the front lawn count?? :rolleyes:

If not then I dont train them directly now. I use too train like crazy in my early 20s. 30 mins just on abs.

Crunches and ab-coaster twice per week after legs. 50 or more reps with moderate resistance.

9 hard sets , 3 times a week with cardio. Ball crunches , leg raises and crunches using the rope on a pulley

I do twice a week. 2 exercises 25 reps for about 4-5 sets each. I honestly would never train them but I find that when I keep them somewhat stronger than they would be without direct training that my low back feels better.

Just stability ball crunches and back extensions for me 3 supersets of 15-20 reps- no weight 3x's a week.
Coach wants me doing 300 vacuums per day, but I just never get around to it

I train them three days per week on my chest/shoulder/tri days and bis/forearms/back days with no abs on leg days. I alternate one day 6 sets of weighted exercises and the other day high rep work, like non-weighted decline sit-ups, hanging leg raises, ab roll-outs or the rotary torso machine.

I haven't trained abs in years. I concentrate on contracting them with all my lift but never iso them. I believe abs are made in the kitchen with your food intake.

abs are just as much made in the kitchen as biceps.
if you dont work your abs youre just gonna have skinny guy abs, just like if you dont work your biceps youre gonna have a skinny guy biceps (look at these 120 lbs guys, they also have a biceps peak but only cuz theyre skinny as fuck)

i work my abs just like any other muscle, 6-8 heavy weighted sets every ~5 days (squats and deadlifts not included obviously).
i also do vacuums on every off day.
i DO go a LITTLE higher on the reps than with other muscles though, because i feel like anything below 10 reps hits the lower back too hard and makes it difficult to really squeeze and isolate the abs.

I like weighted stability ball crunches and weighted decline situps.

I feel like you gotta use a bit of weight on "crunching" motions to thicken the abs up and get them poking out.

Lately I've been doing weighted machine crunches. 4-5 sets starting w/ 25-30 reps and then each successive set to failure. Really concentrating on form and getting a good contraction each rep. My abs are looking the best they have in a long time and I'm a 43 y/o.

6 days a week, only bucz it tends to grow from training heavy

NOBODY trains their abs, dude.

But if I gotta state the obvious: intense, dominant, vigorous, pounding, dead-serious sex will give you the abs women will recognize and understand for their purpose and function.

Other than that, diet like you (oughta) fuck: hard and serious.

...fuckin' gotta 'splain everything these days.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131