advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How does taking Olive Oil get you ripped?

anabolicdragon

FOUNDING Member
Registered
Can someone anwser this question for me on how Olive Oil will get you ripped, I read on Animals forum that thid guy take 3 Tbsps in the morning with his first meal only thing he changed or added and his abs are showing nicely...whats the deal with that?

Well without proper dieting and training olive oil wil do shit, HOWEVER, with everything in place olive oil has serious research behind it at increasing BAT activity and acting as an uncoupler on protein. DC has written much about olive oil

Olive oil feeding up-regulates uncoupling protein genes in rat brown adipose tissue and skeletal muscle.

Rodriguez VM, Portillo MP, Pico C, Macarulla MT, Palou A.

Department of Nutrition and Food Science, the University of Pais Vasco, Vitoria, Spain.

BACKGROUND: Some nutrients, such as carotenoids, retinoic acid, and certain types of fatty acids, increase thermogenic capacity. OBJECTIVE: The influence of 4 dietary lipid sources (olive oil, sunflower oil, palm oil, and beef tallow) on the content of uncoupling proteins 1, 2, and 3 (UCP1, UCP2, and UCP3) and their messenger RNA (mRNA) expression in several tissues of rats was compared. DESIGN: Wistar rats were randomly divided into 4 groups and fed ad libitum diets containing 40% of energy as fat. UCP1, UCP2, and UCP3 mRNA and protein were assessed by Northern blot and Western blot, respectively. Oxygen consumption in tissues was measured by polarography. Total-body oxygen consumption was assessed in an open-circuit chamber system. Circulating fuels (fatty acids and glucose) and hormones (triiodothyronine, thyroxine, corticosterone, and insulin) were measured. RESULTS: Olive oil feeding induced the highest UCP1, UCP2, and UCP3 mRNA expression in interscapular brown adipose tissue. An analogous effect was observed in gastrocnemius muscle UCP3 mRNA. No significant differences were observed in perirenal white adipose tissue UCP2 mRNA. Changes in mRNAs were not accompanied by close changes in the protein content of UCPs and were not associated with changes in adipose tissue oxygen consumption. Nevertheless, total-body oxygen consumption was higher in rats fed olive oil than in those fed the other 3 diets. No significant differences were found in body and tissue weights or in serum indexes. CONCLUSION: Olive oil induced an up-regulating effect on UCP mRNA that was probably not mediated by systemic metabolic changes, but rather related to a local effect on interscapular brown adipose tissue and skeletal muscle.

PMID: 11815310 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Olive oil supposedly does something else may appreciate....stimulate bile production which is apparently good for detoxing the system....(Bile gets reabsorbed by colon but the oil induced spike allows more removal....)

It also supresses TNF-a which which is known to cause insulin resistance.

Uh oh you got Brooklyn started with the research!!! Just wait till someone asks about the benefits of Green tea!! I think BJ is single handedly responsible for increasing this countries consumption of GT. haha. Have to admit he knows his stuff, he has influenced my training and supplement intake a great deal.

let me ask you this then. Lets say i make chicken cuttlets. I fry the breaded chicken cutlets with olive oil. ARe you say this is potenially healthy??? I use this as kind of a cheat meal. But i do take flax. I have heard many of the benfits of olive oil. but it just doesn't feel right to me. so i usually don't use it.

There a degree where you'll lose the benefit of the oil. Flax is very low which is why it is useless for cooking. Olive flash point I beieve is 550, so then yes you can cook with olive. Just remember bread crumbs arent exactly diet food.

BJ is GT's posterboy...

too bad he didnt bottle some up and sell it to all the fatasses all over the country...

its funny too cause you know thats how a lot of those dumb diet products get on infomercials...

either one of us or some lurker......goes out and does it.. you gotta admit most of the boards are cutting edge for weight loss and health supps...

ever wonder why after we talk about something it all of a sudden pops up in an infomercial?

Re: ....

G.E.R.M said:
either one of us or some lurker......goes out and does it.. you gotta admit most of the boards are cutting edge for weight loss and health supps...

ever wonder why after we talk about something it all of a sudden pops up in an infomercial?
So True! :D

i agree with ya bj about the bread crumbs but once a week in the offseason won' t kill me. hehehe

thanks.

Yes cooking can destroy the beneficial properties of oils.
Are we talking just olive oils or most of the good unsaterated/polyunsaturated like flax/safflower/canola?
I figure they all can helpful and difference being the levels of different Omegas.

Yo, I don't mean to degrade the info given by anyone else, but I did want to throw in this one comment. Heating up oil of any kind causes a denaturing in the primary structure of the lipid molecules. This change in structure effectively changes the properties of the oil, thereby making it useless as a health supplement. In fact, one might go so far as to say that cooking oil changes it from good to bad. As far as the flash point, this is in reference to the point at which the oil will combust, however a significantly lower temperature is sufficient to denature your olive oil. In conclusion, don't cook with oil if you're trying to reap it's positive benefits, but fried chicken is real good. :D

stevehnsn said:
Yo, I don't mean to degrade the info given by anyone else, but I did want to throw in this one comment. Heating up oil of any kind causes a denaturing in the primary structure of the lipid molecules. This change in structure effectively changes the properties of the oil, thereby making it useless as a health supplement. In fact, one might go so far as to say that cooking oil changes it from good to bad. As far as the flash point, this is in reference to the point at which the oil will combust, however a significantly lower temperature is sufficient to denature your olive oil. In conclusion, don't cook with oil if you're trying to reap it's positive benefits, but fried chicken is real good. :D

Do you have any research you can post about this??

I personally find it hard to believe that olive oil will denature at such low temps.

I may not be up on my readings on this topic, but it just seems hard to beleive.

Virgin olive oil is not really suitable for high temperature cooking.
Refined olive oil, on the other hand is a good choice for the
occasional saute or any gently fried dish. Heating any unsaturated oil above 150 c. will produce some trans fatty
acids, but the amount produced when olive oil is heated is small
compared with the amount produced by oils high in polyunsaturatedfatty acids.If you use cooking techniques which require oil to be heated to high temperature (say 400 c.) or use the same oil many times, as is common in deep fat frying, then using a saturated fat is a healthier option. Try palm oil or coconuts oil. They are both very stable at high temperature and produce few trans or positional isomers when heated. Save virgin olive oil for dressings and very low temperature cooking.

Hypertrophyguy said:
Uh oh you got Brooklyn started with the research!!! Just wait till someone asks about the benefits of Green tea!! I think BJ is single handedly responsible for increasing this countries consumption of GT. haha. Have to admit he knows his stuff, he has influenced my training and supplement intake a great deal.

there's a nice GT thread for you :D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner