over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How effective are pushups?

Nike_Jumpman_2333

Newbies
and i mean heavy pushups...

I recently started doing 6 sets of pushups with my feet propped up about 2-3 feet in the air. I do 3 close hands and 3 wide, Each set i burn out completely....

How effective is this and how would you guys rate it as far as toning the chest and shoulder, and as far as increasing strength, and size?

Also, How should i go about these pushups as far as do them every day? do them on my off [lifting] days and such?

Thanks a lot

Pushups are a great exercise. Do them after a chest workout and do them with your hands on paint cans or handles so you can go deeper. But if all you can do is pushups then yes they are a good allrounder for chest, shoulders and tris. Do them narrow grip for tris. You'll like those!!

Pushups are a great exercise. Do them after a chest workout and do them with your hands on paint cans or handles so you can go deeper. But if all you can do is pushups then yes they are a good allrounder for chest, shoulders and tris. Do them narrow grip for tris. You'll like those!!

i see, thanks!
what do you mean narrow grip? is that the same as close grip?

Start from inside and work your way out.. Start with diamond pushups then go straight to regular pushups and then straight to wide pushups. 10 4count at each one. The cycle is one set. Do three or four..

i see, thanks!
what do you mean narrow grip? is that the same as close grip?
Yes as deepsea has described. just place your hands together and form a diamond with your fingers and thumbs, lower yourself so that your nose goes into that diamond.

Start from inside and work your way out.. Start with diamond pushups then go straight to regular pushups and then straight to wide pushups. 10 4count at each one. The cycle is one set. Do three or four..

LOL i remember those.....

Go higher. If you want to light up your lats and shoulders work up to full handstand push ups. 3 sets of 8-10 reps real slow keeping tense (strength development). Then I do the same sets/reps but prop my feet on a chair, from there it's to the ladder for another set or up on the wall to a full handstand (flat hands).. I then do dips to burn.. I noticed and didn't say shit, then my girl told me my pecs look fuller/rounder and even. I never thought she noticed my left pec was a little flatter and shorter on the bottom than my right...well was.

I came off a routine I made of a 3 days of strength and 2 days of high rep low weight volume work.. I was running a lot too.. This was from Jan-July, didn't do diddly in Aug, and been doing this crap at least mon-fri..unless im really sore..then I just run..

blahh blahh blahh.. :D do em!

Go higher. If you want to light up your lats and shoulders work up to full handstand push ups. 3 sets of 8-10 reps real slow keeping tense (strength development). Then I do the same sets/reps but prop my feet on a chair, from there it's to the ladder for another set or up on the wall to a full handstand (flat hands).. I then do dips to burn.. I noticed and didn't say shit, then my girl told me my pecs look fuller/rounder and even. I never thought she noticed my left pec was a little flatter and shorter on the bottom than my right...well was.

I came off a routine I made of a 3 days of strength and 2 days of high rep low weight volume work.. I was running a lot too.. This was from Jan-July, didn't do diddly in Aug, and been doing this crap at least mon-fri..unless im really sore..then I just run..

blahh blahh blahh.. :D do em!

Wow... i didnt even think of going up higher for some reason, great idea. Thanks a lot

another thing you can try is eccentric pushups. MAKE YOURSELF go down for 5 seconds, and regular speed back up. these will be MUCH harder. try this, max out with the number of pushups you can do in one set and write that number down. for 1 week do 3 sets of 5 second eccentric pushups on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (1.5-2 min rest between sets). come back that next monday and test your max number of reps again. i promise you will put on 3-5 more reps, maybe more. thats a HUGE jump in 1 week.

another thing you can try is eccentric pushups. MAKE YOURSELF go down for 5 seconds, and regular speed back up. these will be MUCH harder. try this, max out with the number of pushups you can do in one set and write that number down. for 1 week do 3 sets of 5 second eccentric pushups on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (1.5-2 min rest between sets). come back that next monday and test your max number of reps again. i promise you will put on 3-5 more reps, maybe more. thats a HUGE jump in 1 week.

Will do, thanks a ton for both thread's advice

you're welcome

edit: i just wanted to clarify really quick...in my previous post i was NOT saying 3 sets of 5 reps for the eccentric pushups. i was saying 3 sets to failure, but make sure the eccentric portion is VERY controlled...so make the eccentric portion take 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke