advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How long is a bottle of insulin good once its been first used?

maldorf

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
THe insulin is kept in the refrigerator of course, not at room temperature. I was always under the impression that its good until the expiration date when refrigerated, even if its been used. SOme sites are telling us otherwise, saying its only good for 28 days once its used and refrigerating it makes no difference.
ANy diabetics out there, or others for that matter, that can vouch for the fact that it should be good till the exp date??

Here is a site that provides a chart that shows that insulin is only good for 28 days after its been opened, even if its refrigerated. Strange, because the literature that comes from Lilly that accompanies the vial doesnt say anything about this.

**broken link removed**

THe insulin is kept in the refrigerator of course, not at room temperature. I was always under the impression that its good until the expiration date when refrigerated, even if its been used. SOme sites are telling us otherwise, saying its only good for 28 days once its used and refrigerating it makes no difference.
ANy diabetics out there, or others for that matter, that can vouch for the fact that it should be good till the exp date??

I'VE USED MY SLIN RIGHT UP TO THE EXPIRATION DATE, AND STILL WORKS FINE !!
NTR

I'VE USED MY SLIN RIGHT UP TO THE EXPIRATION DATE, AND STILL WORKS FINE !!
NTR

What I thought too, but right now Im using a real low dose and cant tell if its working. Bottle I am using now is about 6 months old or so.

Slin degrades

It has been my experience that insulin HUM.-R will degrade over time especially after the expiration date or accidentally left out of the fridge for half a day. If this happens you’ll need to adjust the dosage upward some or buy a new bottle. Just be sure you carry crumbly type candy, like sweet tarts, NOT DIET candy or hard or chewy candy in your car, gym bag and home, that you can chew up in a hurry in case you screw up. Trust me, if you use insulin like for PWO on a regular bases sooner or latter you will screw up. Be prepared because if your aren’t and you screw up bad you could die.

Also do not forget when using any IGF product reduce your normal dose about 25% + -. If cycling AAS and HGH increase your dose 10-20% + - from your regular dose, or when not using anything.

now Squeet = lets go eat

It has been my experience that insulin HUM.-R will degrade over time especially after the expiration date or accidentally left out of the fridge for half a day. If this happens you’ll need to adjust the dosage upward some or buy a new bottle. Just be sure you carry crumbly type candy, like sweet tarts, NOT DIET candy or hard or chewy candy in your car, gym bag and home, that you can chew up in a hurry in case you screw up. Trust me, if you use insulin like for PWO on a regular bases sooner or latter you will screw up. Be prepared because if your aren’t and you screw up bad you could die.

Also do not forget when using any IGF product reduce your normal dose about 25% + -. If cycling AAS and HGH increase your dose 10-20% + - from your regular dose, or when not using anything.

now Squeet = lets go eat

but your personal experience is that its good till exp date if its refrigerated? .

I dont know if this will help.....

Clinically speaking..........

vials are good as long as refridgerated for up to 6 months I believe. Most diabetics do have very small doses.
The 28 days and no regard to refridgeration may be literature for the new insulin "pens" and "jets". All the long acting and slow acting are made in pen form for ease. The ease is replaced by cost tho. In this case, once the pen has been used once, it is only good for 28 days and should not be refridgerated. Also, make sure that you arent shaking the insulin if it is Lantus Insulin.

Now, when we make TPNs, insulin boluses or gtts we only consider those good for 24hrs due to stability in the polyvinyl bag and mixed with the saline. I doubt you're making you own bag tho. hehe!

We keep our stock vials for gtts and TPNs in the refridgerator tho we normally go tho 2 vials a day for our pts.

Still, just keep it refridgerated and it should be fine. As the other poster said, make sure you have something in case you screw up. We have these huge glucose tubes for diabetics but they also make them now for runners in flavors. They'd fit great in your gym bag!!

Clinically speaking..........

vials are good as long as refridgerated for up to 6 months I believe. Most diabetics do have very small doses.
The 28 days and no regard to refridgeration may be literature for the new insulin "pens" and "jets". All the long acting and slow acting are made in pen form for ease. The ease is replaced by cost tho. In this case, once the pen has been used once, it is only good for 28 days and should not be refridgerated. Also, make sure that you arent shaking the insulin if it is Lantus Insulin.

Now, when we make TPNs, insulin boluses or gtts we only consider those good for 24hrs due to stability in the polyvinyl bag and mixed with the saline. I doubt you're making you own bag tho. hehe!

We keep our stock vials for gtts and TPNs in the refridgerator tho we normally go tho 2 vials a day for our pts.

Still, just keep it refridgerated and it should be fine. As the other poster said, make sure you have something in case you screw up. We have these huge glucose tubes for diabetics but they also make them now for runners in flavors. They'd fit great in your gym bag!!

Great post, thanks.

:D THE ONLY REASON THEY TELL OF A 28 DAY MARK (MANUFACTURES) IS TOO AVOID CONTAMINATION.. it has nothing to do with the slin degreding.. they state that the "risk" of germs is higher at this point ect.. i know those that have had slin for a year and if kept in the fridge is still good..;)

:D THE ONLY REASON THEY TELL OF A 28 DAY MARK (MANUFACTURES) IS TOO AVOID CONTAMINATION.. it has nothing to do with the slin degreding.. they state that the "risk" of germs is higher at this point ect.. i know those that have had slin for a year and if kept in the fridge is still good..;)

Yeah, i was wondering if that was their reason. No logical explaination for how drawing from a vial would make the slin degrade faster.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws