advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How long off of training for Carpal Tunnel surgery?

426srt8

Newbies
Possibly a stupid question in the grand scheme of intense injuries we can deal with, but all I find online is people that do not do any kind of heavy lifting or real heavy use of their hands.....I am not a secretary so I am assuming recovery will be a bit different.

I was just diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel in my right (dominant) wrist/hand.

I recently had surgery on my left hand due to a fractured bone (hook of hamate) which alot of baseball players get. I can only assume that one was from my playing hockey for 15+ years and also lifting heavy for just as long.
That recovery only took me 2 weeks until back to work and just under a month away from lifting etc.....

Anyone that lives this type of lifestyle have an estimate of time off of the gym when having this done?
Hand surgeon and all the little old ladies that have posted online seem to say 4-6 weeks to be able to really push it with no pain. I also work with my hands doing a lot of lifting so that will also be a big issue.

May just wait until fall/winter to get it done, it is mild to moderate right now and does not cause pain, only numbness at times....

Thanks in advance!

I had this surgery back in 2010. Stitches fell out after a week or 2 and around 3-4 weeks I started massaging the area and getting it used to feeling and pressure again. Can't exactly remember when I got back into gym but it was after the abnormal feeling went when massaging the scar.

Take your time.

Thanks.
I still have pain/numbness around my scar on my other hand that I work around, so I know what you mean.
They had to do that surgery twice, once to remove the fractured bone and then go back in to remove all the scar tissue that wrapped itself around the nerve from the first surgery.....

My mom injured her hand at work and had carpal tunnel and tendon surgery.
After surgery it was worst, shes on permanent disability now....
She wishes she never did surgery...

Thats not a good thing.....

My father had both hands done, but can't remember how long recovery was, it was so long ago......his are both much better after. He was dropping things and having issues with dexterity before the surgeries.

Possibly a stupid question in the grand scheme of intense injuries we can deal with, but all I find online is people that do not do any kind of heavy lifting or real heavy use of their hands.....I am not a secretary so I am assuming recovery will be a bit different.

I was just diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel in my right (dominant) wrist/hand.

I recently had surgery on my left hand due to a fractured bone (hook of hamate) which alot of baseball players get. I can only assume that one was from my playing hockey for 15+ years and also lifting heavy for just as long.
That recovery only took me 2 weeks until back to work and just under a month away from lifting etc.....

Anyone that lives this type of lifestyle have an estimate of time off of the gym when having this done?
Hand surgeon and all the little old ladies that have posted online seem to say 4-6 weeks to be able to really push it with no pain. I also work with my hands doing a lot of lifting so that will also be a big issue.

May just wait until fall/winter to get it done, it is mild to moderate right now and does not cause pain, only numbness at times....

Thanks in advance!

I would say at least 6-8 weeks minimum. You could do cardio in the meantime.

My mom injured her hand at work and had carpal tunnel and tendon surgery.
After surgery it was worst, shes on permanent disability now....
She wishes she never did surgery...

Exactly Dr's are ALWAYS gungho to snip and cut.

DOn't get surgery yet

DO

See a ART chiropractor to get the release going
  • Get deep tissue massage
  • Sun bath your arm 5 times a week
  • Or get an led/infrared device to use on tendons/ligament
  • Start taking
  • Bromealin
  • Curcumin

Red light, infra red, sun light will help lower local inflammation, curcumin grape seed extract will lower systemic inflammation.

I had numb hands so bad I couldn't sleep. I did the stuff above and was sytpom free for 4 years until a recent flare up.

Thank you, I will look into these, am already taking the curcumin....
Would still like to hear personal experience if anyone has any. Obviously it will differ from individual to individual but hey, its better than nothing.

Also a bit worried about having to take 4 to 6 weeks off of work......not that I would not like to sit at home and not work for a good month plus, lol, but that I may get replaced in that time. ;)

Exactly Dr's are ALWAYS gungho to snip and cut.

DOn't get surgery yet

DO

See a ART chiropractor to get the release going
  • Get deep tissue massage
  • Sun bath your arm 5 times a week
  • Or get an led/infrared device to use on tendons/ligament
  • Start taking
  • Bromealin
  • Curcumin

Red light, infra red, sun light will help lower local inflammation, curcumin grape seed extract will lower systemic inflammation.

I had numb hands so bad I couldn't sleep. I did the stuff above and was sytpom free for 4 years until a recent flare up.

I used an infrared laser on my carpel tunnel. Stretched my hand all the time and no longer have symptoms. I loved that laser. I'm lucky to have had access to it as it worked like a fountain of youth for many different things. Look up the anatomy of the carpel tunnel on Wikipedia. And then stretch the muscle surrounding it. You can also ice your wrist, no joke. Ice won't cure it but can help.

I would say 4-8 weeks off before returning from surgery. Yet the more you use the hand without aggravating it the quicker it should heal. Movement equals blood flow, blow flow equal nutrient exchange, nutrient exchange equals healing. Just make sure not to over do it. Good luck.

Where are you guys finding these lasers? I am sure there are junk ones and ones that would be preferred for this purpose....

I am lucky and work with a guy who had one. They are called different things like cold lasers and infrared lasers. They aren't cheap. If they are cheap they most likely won't be as effective. They also make infrared saunas and the like. Phil Heath uses those. Maybe look up cold lasers or infrared lasers and educate yourself about types and availability. Not trying to be a smart ass but I don't know a ton about where to find them. Chiropractors sometime have them. Sometime I see adds for different clinics that have them. They are not a cure all but it can spead recovery for sure. I actually think they gained notoriety from helping race horses heal from injuries.

No, I hear you, hence me asking. You never know what is good or garbage unless someone has tried it out already.
I quickly looked and there are some for 130 bucks, and others that run 1000's of dollars....obviously can't spend anywhere near that.

Thanks

Well, as far as light goes, you got laser, and LED. LED are safer for home use as they can't/aren't supposed to cause any eye damage if you look at the light. Plus some studies show LED light penetrates deeper than laser.

You mostly have light in the

630-660nM(wavelength) rand, this is called RED/ Near Infra-red

880nM which is Infra-red and not visible.

Red will penetrate around 1/4" and Infra-red over 2", that is why IR is better for deep things light Carpal, muscles, tendons, while red is good for face lifts, rosecia(sp), and surface problems

I have a Red 630nM "Medlight" butI need one that is IR so I am going to get one of these,
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ReVive-Light-Therapy-Pain-System/dp/B00FGBGUD4"]Amazon.com: ReVive Light Therapy Pain System: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wF80YYeEL.@@AMEPARAM@@41wF80YYeEL[/ame]

A laser is coherent light, LED's are not, but once the light hits the skin the lasers coherency is lost, so all that is left is wavelength and power, so most scientists and studies show laser and LED do the same things.

The sun also produces Red/IR but you have to deal with the UV too, so LED lights are more convenient, especially if you want to do treatments at night or live in a dark climate.

Laser devices are expensive and they need a trained operator, safe settings, eye protection. LED devices are cleared for home use and do not need those, except eye protection when using on face.

Thanks, those are what I was looking at but was not sure. Will look into them further this weekend.

Also, anyone that has had this done, still looking for any personal experience on recovery times, as it may still be an option or need to be done...

Thanks!

Ha, the laser I had used needed eye protection. You could not see it wih your naked eye but your camera on your phone picked it up loud and clear.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131