advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many of yall do NOT work shoulders directly?

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I stopped do any shoulder presses several years ago (5) because no matter what the weight i ended up with bad shoulder pain in just a couple weeks. I was able to talk to a coupld older guys that have been training for decades and they say that shoulder presses are mandatory to get any upper body size.

For the last three years the only directly shoulder exercises i do is rear lateral raises the rest comes from typical chest and back exercises

What kind of results have you had?

Ive got a pretty bad bone spur so shoulders dont work well for me. I usually just stick with front raises and lateral raises and might do some presses but light weight. Even the real light weight starts to hurt a good bit. My shoulders seems to grow better than any other muscle group so between the light weight and chest exercises they keep up with the rest.

I don't do any shoulder isolation per se, but do work compounds like Military Press and dips. Gone are the days where I do different raises for different heads. The older I get the less my joints can take lol.

I love hitting my delts, but I haven't done shoulder press since I was in high school, and shoulders and lats are what I get the most compliments about from big boys.

The only lifts I could never see myself skipping are squats and deadlifts. I don't think I would ever consider it impossible to skip any other lift. Although I sure do love me some pull ups and bent rows :love:

Last edited:
I have an entire workout dedicated to shoulders and abs.

Lots of side laterals for me. With the occasional press, just to make sure.

No shoulder presses, messed my shoulder up every time. I like lateral raises and upright rows with dumbells so I can keep more to the sides and not tweek my shoulders. Reps are higher now used to do 12 reps now after reading John medows my reps are much higher and delts are growing nicely.

Laterals and machine work first.. Then presses at the end.. Otherwise my elbows start to feel the brunt of the weight before my shoulders do..

I rarely ever do presses and if I do, it's machine work and not super heavy. But I do direct shoulder work of 4 exercises. Two for the rear delts, two for the medial delts.

I've never used site enhancement oils and I don't plan to, but I ever find myself in the predicament where I can do zero shoulder training i'd be pumping it in there so they keep up with the rest of my physique.

Nothing looks more strange than a guy with a big back, big chest, big arms.... and mini shoulders.

i only train medial dets with 2 sets of side raises

other then that never train shoulders

I don't think the bodies mechanics were designed for over head presses. Just doesn't feel natural. I stick to heavy side lateral raises. 3 sets to failure after a couple good warmup sets. Then maybe some cable work.

Either you have genetics that lean towards your shoulders wearing out faster, your form didn't match what your body could handle, or both.

My shoulders went from horrible to fine. I paid more attention to my rotator cuffs, using an exercise I learned from Dante Trudel. I slowed down the negatives on my presses and wound up with no noticeable issues.

I don't understand not training delts. I don't do anything for front delts directly, but I surely work my side delts. My front and rear heads are hit indirectly in my back and pressing sessions.

Last edited:
I tired that for a while, my shouldeers went down to shit, nothing works like behind neck presses for me

Shoulders are my best bodypart, always was and I have never paid a lot of attention into delt training, most of the time I did few sets of preses and leterial raises after working my chest, now I train every body part twice a week but shoulders only once in a 2-3 weeks after my push workout (chest/triceps ; back/rear delts/biceps ; quads/hams/calves)

No shoulder presses anymore.

Lifting Oly for years, I did clean and jerks, push presses and seated presses , all over 300lb+ and my shoulders still sucked. No issues with pain really, but just strong, not round or anything good. Too many assisting muscle groups, I guess.

Best progress for me has been made doing painful assed sets of laterals. Machine, or DB, whatever variations I can think of. Higher reps, lower reps. Lots of sets. I just go until I can't get them any more pumped. It's the only muscle group I work this way.

I back and shoulders every 4 days...both of my shoulders are separated from bike crashes and I have to keep a certain amount of muscle strength or I have excruciating pain, even just with normal day to day arm movements.

I do shoulder press on hammer strength machine fortnightly but it is light weights 40kg per side and high reps but also slow o my shoulders don't grind. I generally mix between dumbbell side lats or cable side lats but I stand in front of cable not behind it so it focuses more on my med delts not front

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131