YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many of you here can bench press 4 plates? (405) for at least 1 perfect rep?

Lie..........save your pecs and shoulders!!!!!

I've been BP nearly weekly (often time 2x3 times in my PL days) for 20 years. Never once an issue. Sure, some guys arent built for it but you often push this lightweight, high rep narrative you're gonna die if you're old and you dont... I get it as we age but let's be honest... that's just fucking boring and not why most of us got into this. At 37, I have plenty of knee/low back issues but the day I cant squat, bench and dead HEAVY is the day a little piece of me dies! Learn to bench correctly if you like the lift and it works well for the individual and chances of shoulder injury or tear are no worse than any other lift.

Just hit 405 x 1 yesterday after losing significant strength during covid. Highest ever was only 425.

it just goes to show you if you think bench is a "chest movement" or any compound movement can be isolated optimally youre going to suck at it. I have no idea how so many people have shoulder pain from the bench and dont wonder "hmm maybe im not doing this right."

The best advice I ever got for benching was from Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Tucking the elbows, and for grip it's thumbs-width from the smooth on an Olympic barbell. Squeezing the shoulder blades together before starting and making sure the J-hooks are set at a height so that you can slide the bar out and not lose tightness. I can't bench the weight you guys can, but for someone with long arms it is a very comfortable exercise for me by taking the cues above.

When I see how wide bodybuilders bench with any fingers on the outisde of the rings while flaring the elbows, I cringe and would expect to get injured.

Like others have said, its going to be mostly genetics. How big you are naturally is a huge factor too. A neighbor of mine benched 405 at the age of 50. I got the impression that it might have been his first time too. He came and got me from across the street to spot him in his basement. He is a naturally big framed guy, probably about 250 to 265 lbs.

Some more rare cases of guys under 200 lbs that can do it naturally. Doing more than 2x bodyweight in bench isn't a common feat, even on steroids.

What is your height and weight?

I'm close! I hit 395 for a touch n go single a few days ago @ 215lbs bodyweight. My goal is to hit a paused double bodyweight bench

i cant. and approaching 50 dont really care if i get there or not.

and thats built off what? your own experience :rolleyes:

Yes

But hey, like stated we can't factor out inter-individuality of biomechanics

Always preferred dumbbell presses over barbell. Lots of guys who are benching 400+ lbs eventually end up with tears, maybe they aren't built to bench, maybe it's a form issue. Regardless if I can build the same muscle in my chest using heavy incline bench, db bench, hammer strength presses, why bother benching (unless of course that's a movement you want to excel in).

Can't wait to see how heavy 4 plates feel if and when the gyms near me reopen.

I could probably do 405 a couple times. I work up to 350 for 3 sets of 6. I don't really try to do my one rep max anymore. I might try just see what I can do. I'm also 6'3 probably around 240 right now so it's not very special. I just watched a huge short fat kid deadlift 6 plates for 4 reps for a few sets then go on to bench 495 for reps....made me think what the fuck am I doing wrong. Worst part was he walked like he couldn't fit through a door while having a giant stick up his ass.

Not to derail your thread ilove, but if you've been training for 10 years and think that the best way to strength increases is by drugs...(you asked the question) then you need to reeducate yourself.

Just for your own info (as I PL'd before BBing), most PLers are freakishly strong...with or without drugs. There is no regular guy who decides to juice and then he decides to PL. IMO using drugs as a way to increase strength is just a no good idea. Yes, it works. But your CNS and your training are BY FAR the most important aspects of strength, not some freakin drug...and a SARM at that.

I apologize if this sounds harsh but i would honestly read as much as possible. Check out ELITEFTS and their articles. Strength coaches, all that.

Also, I'm only saying this because every PL buddy i have ever had was a beast naturally. OR if they weren't, they learned as much as they could and creating peaking mesocyles for themselves and all that.

Can't wait to see how heavy 4 plates feel if and when the gyms near me reopen.
If you've been out since March then 225 will probably feel heavy. Not kidding. Gyms in my state were closed for 2 months and when I finally went back a few guys wanted to "lift heavy" that week, and we all were abysmally weak compared to what we could do pre-lockdown. A 405 squat and deadlift both felt heavy and I hit 550 and 605 respectively late last year.

I benched 275 lbs as a 142 lb HS Sophmore in 1990. In 1996 I finally benched 315 lbs. Never took gear until 2006. That year my bench went from 315 for 8 to 405 lbs for 3 reps. By 2010 I could do 405 for 8 and in 2012 I did 500 lbs for 1 rep. November 2013 I ripped a pec doing 500 lbs bench and now go no heavier than 365 lbs.

Never. Best I got was around 345 for 3 I think, and that was on gear. I also had two lanky classmates in high school on the football team that I legit witnessed bench 405 for doubles or triples. Embarrassing lol.

Im building up to 405, currently at 365 for 5 reps. I won't be attempting 405 until I can get 365 for 8.

Perhaps as an illustration that bench is more about technique and bio-mechanics than strength, I used to use 425 as my working weight on inclines, but could not comfortably bench the same flat. Flats gave me tendinitis on my inner elbow.

For the sake of just benching sure

For hypertrophy? Way better exercises that have the less risk factors when going heavy. Bench pressing is like sparring with a heavyweight, regardless of technique, eventually you'll get clipped and it'll rattle your ancestors.

Thinker, you phrase things in a real comedic way sometimes..... I enjoy those posts... so thanks for the chuckles.

Best bench was 415 for one rep at 43 years old and at 185 pounds. I came a bee's dick away from tearing my pec in the process. No more of that silly shit. Now at 51 I rarely flat bench press. More often than not I go no lower than 4-6 reps on inclines. Otherwise I suffer from OCS. I can now see you science nerds wondering what that stands for?

I'm focusing on incline at the moment doing sets with 315 but the gym I trained chest in last week didn't have incline and I worked up to 395 for a single on flat bench. I'd probably get 405 if I tried next week. The heaviest I've done is 435, that was 9 years ago.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear