YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many of you here can bench press 4 plates? (405) for at least 1 perfect rep?

405...coy that. Proper training on the bench makes a huge difference on pushing weight and safety. So many people have no idea what proper form and set up is on the bench press it's painful to watch sometimes.
Exactly, It’s all about engaging the lats especially. When learning to utilize the lats, and not just squeezing your back, ppl don’t realize the bottom half of the bench becomes by far the lightest part of the lift. The lats act like a trampoline (regardless if you pause or actually bounce the weight). Over the years I’ve found the most gifted benchers naturally found that groove (lats) early on in their lifting careers regardless of their lifting knowledge.

I feel like there is a caveat that needs to be placed here.

I honestly think almost everyone here could bench 4 wheels, if they didn't press in a bodybuilding fashion...I benched well over 500 in the 190-220 range but I couldn't bench 420 in a strict constant tension bodybuilding fashion. It's all about the technique applied.

As far as benching tearing pecs? That's just bodybuilding! Add constant tension and heavy weight to any angle and you are asking for it eventually...it's a risk we are all taking.

My pec was torn on incline...no big deal..just a surgery

Some of you guys have either been on gear too long and have forgotten, or are in denial about your genetic abilities and take them for granted. 405 is insane. 315 is insane. 90% of people, no matter how hard and consistent they train, will never hoist weights like that. They just won't.

I'm curious what the starting strength was of all the guys on the board that are basically human forklifts. If you sauntered into a gym as a teenager and threw up 225+, I guess you need me to tell you that that's not normal. I remember in high school weightlifting class everyone was in the 95-175 range for their starting point. We'd all probably have to juice and add 100 lb of bodyweight if we wanted to add 300 lb to our press.

Iain Valliere is probably the best chest presser in the IFBB right now. Five wheels a side for a controlled triple on the incline. Well, Iain could bench 500 once at the age of 19. This is as far from normal as it gets. In 13 years he hasn't really improved that much because he started so damn close to his very high ceiling while guys like me have to live in the basement of mediocrity. It is what it is.

I'm focusing on incline at the moment doing sets with 315 but the gym I trained chest in last week didn't have incline and I worked up to 395 for a single on flat bench. I'd probably get 405 if I tried next week. The heaviest I've done is 435, that was 9 years ago.

That's interesting b/c upon realizing my chest was the most disproportionately underdeveloped major muscle group, my training partners and I made it one of our missions to work almost exclusively with variations of incline barbell/DB presses, incline flyes, etc. We actually rarely did flat barbell press but flat DB presses was a different story. Since our gym only went up to 125 lb DB's, we had to perform flat DB presses during the latter half of the workout to keep from doing sets of 20 reps. Again, it's fairly decent strength when compared to the gym freaks certainly on this board and in the real world.

Hit 425 Blasting Tren..Then dropped to 385 and the n was going to hit 365 x 6 when my Pec Tore.
At 6'2" 260pds and 6% BF at age 48...For My size i was never nearly as strong as i looked and should of never tried to be!!!
At least in the Chest and Trize department...My Back, Bize, Delts and Legs where always Bionic!!!

15 years and 3 shoulder operations ago, I could flat bench 405 for 10-12 reps pretty regularly, powerlifting form not bodybuilding form... I haven't flat barbell benched in about 7 or 8 years because it just hurts now (47 yrs old) and it really doesn't do anything for me personally for chest development (D-B presses do). However, I trained chest with my jiu-jitsu instructor (I usually train alone) back in July or August and he wanted to bench press, I said what the hell, well my ego cheerleader was cheering me on to 315, got it for a very hard 10 using bodybuilding form and then for the next 3 weeks or so, I could barely do anything involving the use of my left shoulder. Dumbass me and never again!

In my 20s. Sure thing. Late 40s highly doubtful but it isn't about big weight at my age. It's overall fitness

Some of you guys have either been on gear too long and have forgotten, or are in denial about your genetic abilities and take them for granted. 405 is insane. 315 is insane. 90% of people, no matter how hard and consistent they train, will never hoist weights like that. They just won't.

I'm curious what the starting strength was of all the guys on the board that are basically human forklifts. If you sauntered into a gym as a teenager and threw up 225+, I guess you need me to tell you that that's not normal. I remember in high school weightlifting class everyone was in the 95-175 range for their starting point. We'd all probably have to juice and add 100 lb of bodyweight if we wanted to add 300 lb to our press.

Iain Valliere is probably the best chest presser in the IFBB right now. Five wheels a side for a controlled triple on the incline. Well, Iain could bench 500 once at the age of 19. This is as far from normal as it gets. In 13 years he hasn't really improved that much because he started so damn close to his very high ceiling while guys like me have to live in the basement of mediocrity. It is what it is.

My first training log entry at 15 said something like 70lbs x 5. I had been lifting a while. Then I became obsessed with benching and hit 500lbs at 21. At 17 I was at 225, then at 18 I was at 350lbs which is when I started juicing. Then I tore both pecs and that was it, no more heavy pressing. In retrospect I would have done many things differently.

My first training log entry at 15 said something like 70lbs x 5. I had been lifting a while. Then I became obsessed with benching and hit 500lbs at 21. At 17 I was at 225, then at 18 I was at 350lbs which is when I started juicing. Then I tore both pecs and that was it, no more heavy pressing. In retrospect I would have done many things differently.

That is progress.

Benched 315 in high school. Was benching 405 in my 20s for 10. Got into a horrible car crash and tore my pec. Now I don’t go over 315. So I just do 315 slow and controlled for 10-20.

Honestly, never even come close. At 5’7, 170ish lean, 190ish “bulked”, I’ve done a very sloppy 325. I’ve always sucked at pressing EXCEPT downward pressing, pretty sure I can hit 405+ on a decline no problem, and I’m not sure what an impressive number for dips is, but I could dip significant amounts.

This is even noticeable on machines for me. I can rep out 5 plates on the Hammer strength decline easy. On the flat, 2 plates is really hard. 2 plates is a joke. No clue why I’m like this since I’m short and don’t really have the longest arms.

I'll never know in this lifetime. With "supps" which i was on from 19-21, i could probably do somewhere between 340 and 350 without ever really training for a 1rpm or true powerlifting. I weighed anywhere from 220-240 on gear. I spent more time on inclines, which i sucked at (at least barbell). Between the ages of 21 to 23, i did one cycle of 500mg of Test and a little Winny. When i was 28, i tried a SARM (maybe Ostarine) for a few months. After that and currently I've not used anything except a short run with Ipamorelin last year, which did very little for my strength. At 31, i did a natural tested powerlifting meet and competed in the 90kg class and hit a 310 bench. Did 315 in the gym. My body looks normal, not very muscular, and certainly not what you'd call gifted in the strength dept (except DL because of my long arms). My foray into Powerlifting is long over and i'd be lucky if could bench over 225 now anyway. I'm 39 and my shoulders hurt pretty bad and the big arch that I used for PLing is probably very bad for my already damaged back.

415 junior year of high school, 17 yrs old totally natural. Best 525x5 not natural of couse. Older brother 575 at around 225.

My highest bench was 500 for 2 at 34 years old weighing 190 ish. Even at 190 im very thick front to back, my arms are relatively short and my triceps are over developed. My shoulders are somewhat narrow comparatively and I press with an arch leveraging leg drive and engaging my lats. Im at a mechanical advantage and its not representative of pec strength.
Now at 40, I never press below 6 reps and my bench is stalled at 335 for 11 rest paused 8,2,1. Flat bench is done after incline. Incline is 315 for 11 rest paused as of last work out.

Bench press, regardless of bodybuilding or powerlifting form, is going to be highly dictated by body structure. Have super long arms? Sorry, bench is gonna be tough.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131