over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HOW MANY OF YOU.......

oldfella

Board Supporter / Featured Member/Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Board Supporter
use a boxing bag as a form of your cardio? In the off season? during contest prep? Just as an all round cardio burn?

I mean as a good cardio workout not going out to be the next Mike Tyson!
Those of you that have or are currentlty doing this how has it/did it work out for you? Your results?

shit dale i use to box and going all out on the heavybag for 3 min. at a time is a killer workout! I don't hit the bag much anymore cause i can feel the jarring in my elbows these days from all the dumb street fighting i use to do as an adolescent {hitting skulls and facial bones is just a tad harder than the heavy bag}! yea i was very young and dumb! :eek:

shit dale i use to box and going all out on the heavybag for 3 min. at a time is a killer workout! I don't hit the bag much anymore cause i can feel the jarring in my elbows these days from all the dumb street fighting i use to do as an adolescent {hitting skulls and facial bones is just a tad harder than the heavy bag}! yea i was very young and dumb! :eek:
Well I actually was referring to just using the bag as a good cardio workout, not trying to knock the sawdust out it!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, but I damn sure don't want to get hit by one of those sledgehammers you carry around B!!
:eek::eek:

i do, i actually downloaded an app onto my ipod that calls out various punches and you can set it for 2-3 min rounds, its good gets you puffing and blowing and its an eye opener what 3 minutes actually is of hard cardio

Hitting the bag has my vote for the number one way to do cardio.

I do in the offseason. 2 minute drill on the heavy bag(kickboxing), 1 minute slow pace on a spin bike.
It's a killer

A buddy owns a boxing gym and I'm over there pretty often during the off season. Seems to interfere with my set training and cardio when cutting though not quite sure how to incorporate it into my cut. Fun though. Better than most other forms of cardio as far as that goes.

It is an excellent cardio workout. 3 mins on , and one min off. I usually go around 7 rounds, but I incorporate leg kicks in as well.

I use it as my morning cardio on an empty stomach, mixed up with sprints or jump rope to keep things from getting boring. Using the B.O.B bag, and I also incorporate kicks, elbows, etc like some of the other posters said.

The problem I've found is that my heart rate rises significantly higher than the "fat-burning" target, so I treat it like HIT. I go all out for only 90 seconds (I don't fight anymore, so no need for a three or five minute round), then rest 1 minute, then do it again. 30 minutes and I'm done.

i use it like once or twice a week... probably more soon. great cardio.

Boxing

I use to use the bag for cardio, but man it kills my shoulders and elbows. So I felt it might hurt my lifts.

Wouldn't that rough up a guy's knuckles?

D. my hands are way to soft for that type of cardio! ;):D

Use to hit the bag in between sets when I had my home gym and for about 20min after. Now that I'm older over 30, I found out it actually bothers my elbow to hit the bag all and lift.

I found wrestling or BJJ class on a separate days from weighting training, really helps conditioning as a form of cario for about 1 1/2 hrs really makes a difference. A lot of calisthenics in that 1 1/2 as well.

D. my hands are way to soft for that type of cardio! ;):D

:) 7oz training gloves. Thicker than the ones you'd use in an MMA fight, and less than the 14 or 16oz practice boxing gloves that can really wear your shoulder out if you keep your hands up the whole time. After a few times without gloves, I found myself covering the bag with blood. Took quite a while to heal actually!

Now that I'm older over 30, I found out it actually bothers my elbow to hit the bag all and lift.

If you approach it more like sparring/shadow boxing, and don't throw thundering hooks and crosses, it doesn't have to be too jarring at all. I experienced the same thing after going "full speed" and now I do it like I would with a new training partner. Think form over power. Or practice speed -- that REALLY can get your heart racing as you try to pull off 5 or more punches within a couple seconds.

:) 7oz training gloves. Thicker than the ones you'd use in an MMA fight, and less than the 14 or 16oz practice boxing gloves that can really wear your shoulder out if you keep your hands up the whole time. After a few times without gloves, I found myself covering the bag with blood. Took quite a while to heal actually!

If you approach it more like sparring/shadow boxing, and don't throw thundering hooks and crosses, it doesn't have to be too jarring at all. I experienced the same thing after going "full speed" and now I do it like I would with a new training partner. Think form over power. Or practice speed -- that REALLY can get your heart racing as you try to pull off 5 or more punches within a couple seconds.
HAHA now give this man a prize.......that is the answer I was waiting for. That is how to turn a bag workout into a great cardio session. DO NOT go all out and try to knock the bag off the chain.......Instead use finess and speed. try combos series of jabs then hooks and of course, wear bag gloves to spare your hands a beating. I use boxing wraps under the gloves to protect the knuckles and wrist. Awesome workout and you will be dripping with sweat after about five minutes. Very intense if you keep your rest between rounds under 1 minute.

I hear ya... My elbows I think just start getting shot from other things also that's its hard to hit the bag anymore. Any punching movements bother them now even shadow boxing. I think there just worn out over the years, plus maybe having job typing all the time at work.

Normally I would hit the bag with a few combos in a row, then immediately go and do some V up leg raises off a flat bench, then some jumping jacks, broom stick twist and then back to the bag in these mini cycles for about 20min. I love hitting a bag for cardio though in method I described.

Hit the bag as well. But yes, full blows is heavy on the skin. The more you bench the bigger the impact I suppose. Useually change to speed and form when I wait for the skin to heal.

OF

I tried incorporating a bit of this in my training in the past and would add it again......I see people at my gym really punching and getting a killer workout....I mean sweating all over the place with high intensity..it could be really good.

I love it. On top of getting out some aggression you can work up one hell of a sweat. Do 3 minute bursts for 30 minutes and you will know you did something.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws