advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many years does it take to become a bodybuilder?

SacToSD

Registered
I was wondering about this... I know there are lots of pros and amateur bbers on here. I'm curious about how long it takes to develop that kind of physique? I'm not trying to become the next pro, by the way. But if I could compete, I would. It's just that I don't think that I have the genetics. I'm as slow growing as they come. That's not why I ask, though. What do you think?

Last edited:
Different time frames for different people based on GENETICS, WORK ETHIC,MOTIVATION DIET, TRAINING ETC.

I would say with good genetics and you did everything right someone could compete on a national levels after 2-3 years. I have friends that have. Where natural good athletes in college and after started lifting heavy and did everything right and started competing after a 1 year and after 3 hard years where doing national level shows.

I know some who still to this day couldn't stop on stage after 10 years.

Last edited:
Different time frames for different people based on GENETICS, WORK ETHIC,MOTIVATION DIET, TRAINING ETC.

I would say with good genetics and you did everything right someone could compete on a national levels after 2-3 years. I have friends that have. Where natural good athletes in college and after started lifting heavy and did everything right and started competing after a 1 year and after 3 hard years where doing national level shows.

I know some who still to this day couldn't stop on stage after 10 years.

There is no set time frame, too many variables. im sure some could do it in a couple years and others will never get their in their lifetime

I think it depends on what kind of bodybuilder you want to be (recereational, amatuer, national level, pro, or just person with that goal). But, many factors play a role.

These all have been said before.....
1. Consistency - Without it nothing can be achieved
2. Nutrition - Takes time and discipline
3. Training - Daily grind and battle
4. Genetics - Can play a huge factor on which level of bodybuilding your body structure will allow you to go in the sport
5. Recovery - The other 23 hours are meant for rebuilding and growing...get your sleep!

.....also, I would say Patience and Supplementation which I assume are somewhat of a given.

Last edited:
It is all simple mathematics my dear friend:

The eq looks like this:

Genetics + Time Spent in Gym X (square root of <licks to get to center of tootsie roll in a tootsiepop>) / (number of questions asked by a 4 year old between March and May) X 2.637 + Age of person and then subtract 4 if they are male and 23 if they are female= number of months to pro level competition win. Divide by 12 to get the number of years.

Simple enough?

Time

It depends on geneics and other variables. The old saying is bodybuilding in 80% diet, 15% lifting and 5% gear. So I guess it matters how much you follow it and how good you follow it. I am just in it to be in decent shape and strength so it also depends what you want out of it. I respect the guys that give it everything as it is a sport and takes discipline, discipline and more discipline.
B

It is all simple mathematics my dear friend:

The eq looks like this:

Genetics + Time Spent in Gym X (square root of <licks to get to center of tootsie roll in a tootsiepop>) / (number of questions asked by a 4 year old between March and May) X 2.637 + Age of person and then subtract 4 if they are male and 23 if they are female= number of months to pro level competition win. Divide by 12 to get the number of years.

Simple enough?

the equation works, kind of. of modified it a bit :p
according to your formula (which ive slightly changed), it would take me 18 years of training to reach pro level. Very reasonable. :)
I THINK YOUVE FOUND THE ANSWER! :D aha

none..The moment you decide to train and do a show..you are a bodybuilder...

It depends on geneics and other variables. The old saying is bodybuilding in 80% diet, 15% lifting and 5% gear. So I guess it matters how much you follow it and how good you follow it. I am just in it to be in decent shape and strength so it also depends what you want out of it. I respect the guys that give it everything as it is a sport and takes discipline, discipline and more discipline.
B

:pi think gear is a bit more than 5% of the equation lol. Dragonfire said it perfectly

As of next month 48 years, but I'm closing in on it!

I was wondering about this... I know there are lots of pros and amateur bbers on here. I'm curious about how long it takes to develop that kind of physique? I'm not trying to become the next pro, by the way. But if I could compete, I would. It's just that I don't think that I have the genetics. I'm as slow growing as they come. That's not why I ask, though. What do you think?

anyone can compete, it just depends on the level you want to compete at. And whether or not you want to win or just try to obtain the best shape of your life.
Ive seen guys enter a show after just a few months of training, given a proper approach they didnt look too bad. And a lot of them completely transformed their bodies.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131