advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many years training before your 1st competition?

Sampson

Registered
Just wanted to know how long you trained for before stepping on stage. I know I havent been blessed with the genetics some of you freaks have, but am still thinking of doing my 1st competition early next year after 4 years training, 27 years old 220lbs, 6ft, 14%.

Just wanted to know how long you trained for before stepping on stage. I know I havent been blessed with the genetics some of you freaks have, but am still thinking of doing my 1st competition early next year after 4 years training, 27 years old 220lbs, 6ft, 14%.

I trained with weight for Track while in college then about a year after I got out of college I started training for my first bodybuiding contest and weighed in at a scale busting 147 lbs!!!

Well for me, I had been training since 14. But never had any aspirations to compete. It wasn't till I met my friend who was a pro BBer at the time that I decided to take up the challenge. He convinced me to compete. So after about 3 yrs hardcore training I stepped on stage and won my first show. I have never looked back since. But overall I had been steady training for at least fifteen yrs.

Eight years.

Five years of seeing how many things I could do with diet and training that were wrong, 2 years more of competitive powerlifting, then one year training more like a bodybuilder and learning about diet, but still lifting heavy.

Nice one

I boxed from the age of about 14 until I started lifting, and had old school trainers who advised me not to lift heavy weights because it will slow me down (that old bag) so its a bit of a late start and feels like im playing catch up!

I had been training consistantly for about 7 months b4 stepping onstage. My advice is get onstage! Far to many guys say that they are waiting until they get bigger/better b4 stepping onstage and never end up competing. It's not about being the best when you step onstage but rather getting better with each outing. Good luck with the show and I look forward to seeing progress pics.-D

Started training at 16, finally stepped on stage at 28 after about 6 months of working with a trainer and cleaning up my diet. Kinda typical but I had the mindset that I had to weigh 220+ before I could ever compete and after finally dieting down (from 220) I stepped on stage at 147lbs that first time. :eek:

I had been training for 12 years when I decided to do a competition. I had always thought it would be awesome to be up on stage competing, but never thought I'd ever be in the condition to do it. One day I was working out and someone asked me if I was getting ready for a competition, and said, "Me... compete? No, not me." I picked up my weights to start a set and looked in the mirror and thought, "why not?". Six months later I did my first competition. :D

I've been lifting for power in sports and work for 17yrs now , I have only been intersted in Body building for the last 4-5 years and two of those were spent rebuilding my life after Hurricane Katrina. I planned to try this year but my work schedual and other things ahmpered my training and diet. but I'm dieting now getting ready for next year. Gonna try not to loose to much muscle.

Starting today I'm 6'3" 307lbs around 15%bf , it feels like I have a hell of a long way to go.

Still haven't competed yet! I'm 33 and been training since I was 16. Had a 5 year break somewhere in there though. hahaha. Hope to compete in 16 months!

Good info keep it coming,

Its good to know theres still hope yet, reading the post on competing yesterday by the "future olympian who dosent have to try" put doubts in my mind but I think getting top five is definetly something to aim for, this is not a sport where you either win or loose you can come anywhere in between and a top five place is definetly good, everybody has there level of ability, if you come last thats probably telling you something though!

Ill definetly post some pics up as soon as I get back from summer hols and look forward to any criticism that I get.

The first year I made bbing a lifestlye, I got on stage.

Sure I had worked out prior, but never trained consistantly or ate like a bb'r.

BW

I started lifting when I was a junior in high school then started lifting seriously after h.s. for 9 years before I competed.

Two years after I started taking my training seriously. I won my first two shows(which were 2 years apart) without knowing what I was getting myself into. After that point I decided to get serious about competing.

I had been training consistantly for about 7 months b4 stepping onstage. My advice is get onstage! Far to many guys say that they are waiting until they get bigger/better b4 stepping onstage and never end up competing. It's not about being the best when you step onstage but rather getting better with each outing. Good luck with the show and I look forward to seeing progress pics.-D

I agree 100%! Ive been training steady for 6 years but I never learned as much in those six years as I have in the last few months. Why? Because I competed and I never improved in those last 6 years as I have in the past few months. Nothing makes you grow more than comming of a contest diet and bulking up again, your gylcogen depots are so hungry and that they are ready for filling and getting ready to explode, and thats just naturaly.
Do it compete, and dont give a shit what anyone says, its the only way to improve and get the best out of you:)

I decided to do a show after 3 years of hard partying...........For the first time in a long time I wanted to finish something I started.........24 weeks later I competed.....It was the best thing I ever done and in many ways saved my life......

Good info keep it coming,

Its good to know theres still hope yet, reading the post on competing yesterday by the "future olympian who dosent have to try" put doubts in my mind but I think getting top five is definetly something to aim for, this is not a sport where you either win or loose you can come anywhere in between and a top five place is definetly good, everybody has there level of ability, if you come last thats probably telling you something though!

Ill definetly post some pics up as soon as I get back from summer hols and look forward to any criticism that I get.
Pay no attention to that post. I thought it would have a bit of a negative impact on some. Of course there's hope. Big Ron said to me......"You can compete in this sport forever, as long as you have the drive and the will power you can go forever!" Now that came from an Eight time Mr. O!! How many non top five spots did he get before he Became a legend of our sport???? Give it your all and you will get all you want from this!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131