over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much EPA/DHA do you try to get in?

OuchThatHurts

Moderator / Psy, Ret.
Staff member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
On a daily basis, how much EPA/DHA do you prefer?
I've been taking MegaRed fish/krill 2 x 315/50 and added Now brand 2 x 500/200 Omega 3 per day so 1,600EPA/500DHA daily. Workout days I go to 4gms.

And what, if any, benefits have you seen?

My lipids improve conclusively, although I'm not sure about any improvement in HCT, my triglycerides are now down to 270 (from 800) with adding additional Omega3's and Metformin.

not sure of breakdown without labels in front of me but 2 tablespoons Carlsons liquid fish oil, 2 viva krill capsules and a can or 2 of sardines or mackerel daily. dropped my triglycerides 100 points in last year..but I also cleaned up my diet, lost weight and stayed consistent overall so can't say how much is from fish oil but im sure its an impact..I switched to the Carlsons liquid 6 months ago as I trust it more than capsules as far of chance of being rancid.

1600/1000 is what I try to get in (2x vitamin shoppe) fish oil, but I usually opt to get my fats from meat, eggs, almond milk (would rather eat my calories than drink fish oil).

I recently had blood work and everything was good except sodium was low, and this was despite. being inconsistent with taking that much. Fora. while I was doing good getting most of my fat from fish/fish oil, but lately ive been getting more of it from ground beef, eggs, almond milk. I look no worse (same calories) getting more of my fat from other sources.

I use 5 Thorne Super EPA a day. 425/270 EPA/DHA per pill

I'm a huge proponent of real food sources as you know. But there are a rare few I supplement. Omega3, magnesium, K2, C, B12, B9, D3

On a daily basis, how much EPA/DHA do you prefer?
I've been taking MegaRed fish/krill 2 x 315/50 and added Now brand 2 x 500/200 Omega 3 per day so 1,600EPA/500DHA daily. Workout days I go to 4gms.

And what, if any, benefits have you seen?

My lipids improve conclusively, although I'm not sure about any improvement in HCT, my triglycerides are now down to 270 (from 800) with adding additional Omega3's and Metformin.
3 grams 3 times a day, it’s cheap no negative sides and is good for everything from hair growth, to joints not just cardio markers. Anti-inflammatory as well.

1.8-3.0g per day combined. I'll go slightly higher, like 3.5 just in case my fish oil isn't up to par.

I usually go with NOW lemon flavored liquid fish oil since it's usually half the price of other brands. I'll also use the Kirkland fish caps as well.

I have not had labs done in a year+, but when I did, lipids and Tris were always the best when taking fish oil....assuming no orals were taken at the same time.

3g EPA, 1.2g DHA per day - 4.8g Omega.

Rhonda Patrick is the fish oil queen. She has MANY podcasts and papers on fishoil. I think she finalized the recommendation dose of about 3-4g total EPA/DHA. Not 4g fishoil. 4g epa/DHA. So dose your fish accordingly.

Hang on, I’ll find the paper/podcast links

Well hell
I can’t find a good snippet…..most are 2 hour podcasts. But here’s a hell of a good podcast on longevity that we call could benefit from

I have heard Huberman mention 2g of EPA as the minimum to shoot for.

A sidebar. I find Dr Patrick to be insufferable.

Here is one thing that irks me. There was a study showing that EPA alone reduced the risk of cardiac events. Then the addition of DHA negated that benefit.

The problem with studies like this is that there are plenty of studies showing the benefits of DHA. Hard to know what to believe.

I've been taking a pure EPA product earlier in the day, then DHA later in the day. I could be wasting my time and money separating them. Wondering if anyone has comments on that.

For going on 20 years i took 2g of omega 3's a day with 2/3 EPA and 1/3 DHA. Yet is recently has been shown to me that my arteries are aging faster then the average person. So i need to reevaluate those dosages along with other supp's i take.

Here is one thing that irks me. There was a study showing that EPA alone reduced the risk of cardiac events. Then the addition of DHA negated that benefit.

The problem with studies like this is that there are plenty of studies showing the benefits of DHA. Hard to know what to believe.

I've been taking a pure EPA product earlier in the day, then DHA later in the day. I could be wasting my time and money separating them. Wondering if anyone has comments on that.
I have read the same things. As they seem to stay active in the blood for some time i am doubting that separating the dose does much good although i have considered it my self.

3-4g total EPA+DHA. Carlson's liquid or Nordic Naturals caps.

I have read the same things. As they seem to stay active in the blood for some time i am doubting that separating the dose does much good although i have considered it my self.
Yeah. It drives me nuts how much conflicting info surrounds omega 3.

I understand. But i find that applies to pretty much all biology as it is not a real defined science. Just best info at the time. Can't do experiments on people the way you can a petri dish or rats in a cage. If you did some one would complain.

Keep in mind that alot of these YouTube ig personalities have to be different, keep creating content, so they need to find studies or push things (importance or higher dose or give advice different from the mainstream) of certain/herbs supplements to stand out, get clicks, etc. Once I used to follow one mentioned in this thread who reccomded some non-mainstream stuff. Then came the "subscribe to my newsletter" then "buy my book" then "order genetic testing from me."

They can't just say fish oil is good, the sauna can be helpful, they have to be different to stand out then when they do, they can profit.

Try to look at it through the other other side of the glass. Studies are funded (not always performed) by either a consortium of supplement producing companies or, you guessed it, the pharmaceutical companies who wants you to buy their super-concetrated EPA. I'm not suggesting a conspiracy, only conflicts of interest. After all, in nature, if you were to go out and harvest ELA or DHA, you'd undoubtedly find that in almost every case, that they are found together, in the same sources.

And while ALA, ELA, DHA all have very different properties and purported benefits, it's nothing to suggest that one somehow completely negates the other or "cancels it out". Only that one has shown in some studies to be better than the other at improving or sometimes not improving various different bodily processes.

But I'm not going to say my own cholesterol, triglycerides, and lower platelet count is a placebo effect. I have no control over the outcome of those tests. And while not placebo controlled, they are blind tests. The testing lab only knows you as a number.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws