over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much is to much protein?

CrazyCrip

Registered
how much can we digest at one time? sometimes after work i tends to want to drink about 80 grams of whey to make up for lost nutrients during the day. should i do that or drink 20 grams every hour or does it matter? ive always wondered this.

Good question. The human body can only process so much protein at once. Any excess protein is excreted out through the urine mostly. I believe that it's better to take in a little more than not eating enough of it.

how much can we digest at one time? sometimes after work i tends to want to drink about 80 grams of whey to make up for lost nutrients during the day. should i do that or drink 20 grams every hour or does it matter? ive always wondered this.

All of it, it will just take longer.

Fill your boots!

Good question. The human body can only process so much protein at once. Any excess protein is excreted out through the urine mostly. I believe that it's better to take in a little more than not eating enough of it.

It isn't simply excreted. It's deaminated and used for energy, either for physical activity or fat gain.

Ever try reading the thousands, if not millions, of articles and books on nutrition?

Ever try reading the thousands, if not millions, of articles and books on nutrition?

these boards dont need smart answers like this. op is asking a question if u can help den do so. no need to be smart

Since there are only a few good ones, this wouldn't be a good idea if you wanted accurate knowledge.

On the original topic: There isn't a "limit" to how much protein you can absorb, it's just the fact that if the protein isn't NEEDED, then it will be metabolized. This means two things: first that larger amounts of protein are more likely to be metabolized, and second, that faster digesting protein is more likely to be metabolized.

There was one study that showed people in fasted state could utilized large amounts of protein at one time, up to 90g I believe? Someone might dig up the study. I think it would have to be slower digesting protein to utilize that much, but if you are depleted enough, who knows?

When your farts start smelling like a corpse in a manure truck

Actually the human digestion takes 2-4 hours and fat slows the digestion down and so does protein. During that time that food that is chewed has turned into chyme inside your stomach and is SLOWLY(I believe a dime size at a time) given to you small intestine which then digests it some more and then is transported to the liver where is passed through the rest of your body.

So your body absorbs the food and everything no matter how much you eat. The real question is how much to eat before it turns to fat and that is a simple calories in vs. calories out.

Doesn't takes a millions of books to learn this. Nutrition classes will do.

I asked my doctor about this when in for a visit and not saying my doctor couldn't be wrong, but from what i understand your body can not store protein, It simply uses what it needs and gets rid of the rest. But taking in excessive amount of protein it CAN put a lot of strain on your kidneys, and she advised I drink a lot of water to help that problem. I agree with what was posted above about it varying how much you can actually absorb in one sitting

Last edited:
When your farts start smelling like a corpse in a manure truck
True, this is definitely an indication of too much or just not enough being digested properly.

It's funny, my brother calls hydrolyzed whey protein "corpse powder" because of it's funky ass smell.

This question again? eat a bunch, lift heavy, sleep and adjust till you find what works for you. oh yeah and study and use the search on here. or hire one of the great nutrition coaches that sponsor here and do what they say.

Since there are only a few good ones, this wouldn't be a good idea if you wanted accurate knowledge.

On the original topic: There isn't a "limit" to how much protein you can absorb, it's just the fact that if the protein isn't NEEDED, then it will be metabolized. This means two things: first that larger amounts of protein are more likely to be metabolized, and second, that faster digesting protein is more likely to be metabolized.

There was one study that showed people in fasted state could utilized large amounts of protein at one time, up to 90g I believe? Someone might dig up the study. I think it would have to be slower digesting protein to utilize that much, but if you are depleted enough, who knows?

this, spot on, and i think the study showed something lik 96 grams, and it was done on women ironically, so could be more for a male

It isn't simply excreted. It's deaminated and used for energy, either for physical activity or fat gain.

Ok, yes some of it is used as energy, but some of it is also excreted through urine. My uncle is a podiatrist and I have asked him as well as my other docs. They say the same thing. Whatever the body doesn't use up it gets pissed out. I will side with them on this.

This is my opinoin and just that. I say when your farting often or have kidney stres from too much protein...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear