over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How much protein do you eat and why.???

if im paying attention to things about 4lbs of meat ed.
carbs and fats i adjust
350-400+g
i will drop that down in times in not pushing or being lazy more so by feel. being sure to hit 400g gets old after a few months.

I was never a fan of High protein as I was always looked worse. Those days around 170-200 and zero difference. Two protein shakes a day 3.4 eggs and around 2 portion of meat thats it. I just eat comfortable. A little bit of fat here and there some carbs like 150-200 and I am gtg.

I 100% agree you don't need that much protein. When trying to get huge you could simply increase carbs and fats (they are protein sparing). However, half of the guys who say you don't need high protein have never even tried it. All I will say if if I decided right now I wanted to become as freaky as possible over the next year I would start increasing my doses over time and I would 100% start increasing my protein and by the end of it I would be on approx 400g protein per day. I 100% know it would work as well. However I also know must could half their protein intake and replace with good fats and carbs and they could maintain their look so I agree it's not always needed (again carbs and fats are protein sparing). My protein intake varies depending upon my goals but right now I try to get in approx 200g over at least 4 meals per day. If I wanted to grow I would bump that up closer to 300g over time and in approx 6 meals.

Back when I was younger and natural I went up to 400grams protein at 215 to 225lbs bodyweight, this is the best I looked naturally

Currently I've got back like I mentioned earlier in this thread

~320-350g protein when bulking last year with weight in the 250s.

Currently ~275 while cutting.

I wanted to add that there is no set rule and there are many freaks who don't consume loads of protein. A lot of guys will keep protein at approx 300g and up the carbs very high with a decent amount of fats and they grow very well. Others do high fats with decent proten and low carbs so the calories on that is more than enough to grow huge. It's all about overall energy balance whilst taking in sufficient protein intake so by no means do I think it's essential. I also don't go by what I do either. However, whilst high protein may not be essential for guys to get huge I think it's the optimal way to go about things.

The reason many don't do it is because it's fucking hard. It's the hardest part of bodybuilding. I don't pretend for 1 second to do it consistently myself either as I couldn't be bothered eating 50g whole food protein 8 times daily to get to 400g. I can do it in periods and over time I will look my freakiest when I do. If my life depended upon getting as big and freaky as possible I would be taking in a lot of protein. Yes so many freaks don't need to but most of the biggest guys I have come across eat atleast 50g protein and atleast 6 times per day. If you are 200 pounds you obviously don't need to do that but I am talking about legitimately large people. I don't know many freaks who aren't below 300g protein per day and many guys are on much more. Now there are loads of guys who come down after years of high protein and they can maintain well but I am talking about when they are pushing the limits and want to look their freakiest.

Hawkmoon, you are a bright guy with loads of experience and a great physique to
prove it.

Lowering your protein . . . you won't notice a thing. Guaranteed if you stay within
the RDA. (I know people who have gained muscle on lot less protein.) And you will
feel better too.

I also suspect you are not in a growing faze, maintaining what you have being a
priority. (Think age, health.)

Personally, I would just eat a 'normal' diet, don't stress the protein, it will be what
it will be. But do keep track of the overall calories, just don't get fat unless you need
to (too lean).

This high protein obsession (not saying you) is just that . . . an obsession with no
real science supporting i.e. anything beyond the RDA. Just follow the RDA and you
are good to go. As you lose and gain muscle just adjust you protein in accordance
to your weight. Easy peasy.

Just my opinion.
So bro do you think the 1 gram per pound of bodyweight of protein is more than enough to gain muscle

Used to eat like 3-400, but i think it's unnecessary and i get better fullness having more carbs. 2-300 when blasting now but I'm usually 260-270 end of blast. Roids are protein sparing.

I do best having lots of calories from carbs and almost none from fats in terms of composition personally tho. Like 50g fats would be my limit in an ideal world but getting the cals in is harder.

Most studies show that 20-40g of protein every 2-4 hours works well to spike protein synthesis.
So honestly, if you are lifting hard and eating in those requirements you're probably fine.

I DO think that the big dudes do need more though. I'm just about to break under 285 and i don't think I've gone under 350 in years. Right now my WO days are 395 and OFF days are like 365.

Of course you can have a fantastic body from a limited protein diet.

So bro do you think the 1 gram per pound of bodyweight of protein is more than enough to gain muscle

I like to use this protein calculator: https://www.calculator.net/protein-calculator.html
and would pad the numbers upward a bit if I was a 'bodybuilder' truly building muscle,
not fat, and not maintaining. And do steroids throw a monkey wrench into the mix,
I haven't a clue.

I like this calculator because if gives you a number from different places . . . and you get
to pick the number ;)

American Dietetic Association (ADA).
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)(10-35% of daily caloric intake).
World Health Organization safe lower limit.

I don't count anymore but I know I get pretty close to 1g/lb of body weight these days. Usually try to get at least 30-40g per meal for 5 to 7 meals per day depending on hunger level for that day. I dont drink shakes or supplements anymore.

Ive gone as high as 2-2.5g/lb in the past and now looking back I really think it was over kill. My waist line stay much tighter and rarely get abdominal extension/ semi preggo look and horrible gas.

I was trying to increase my protein intake to 400g in some grow phase with differents cycles. No difference with 200 - 250g.
I think you don t need so much protein to grow. 1g - 1,5g / LB is plenty.
If you want grow, use carbs and healthy fat.

I was trying to increase my protein intake to 400g in some grow phase with differents cycles. No difference with 200 - 250g.
I think you don t need so much protein to grow. 1g - 1,5g / LB is plenty.
If you want grow, use carbs and healthy fat.

Amen brother !

2g per pound is completely stupid. does nothing at all for you except waste money.
1.5g per pound same thing.
aint gonna "grow" any faster than if u were 1g per pound. eating 300 pounds of protein in a year to gain 10 pounds of "mass"......smart

Yep...

I still eat too much protein (I know it will not get me more gains, I do it to cover all my bases I guess lol) but I as always fully agree with brutus here, we are all probably massively overeating protein. I also think carbs are a lot more important for muscle growth than they are given credit for. That being said I eat around 300 gr per day (way too much as I've said before) but when bulking my carbs are easily over a 1000 gr per day so I do have a lot of 'protein saving' going on.

Hawkmoon, you are a bright guy with loads of experience and a great physique to
prove it.

Lowering your protein . . . you won't notice a thing. Guaranteed if you stay within
the RDA. (I know people who have gained muscle on lot less protein.) And you will
feel better too.

I also suspect you are not in a growing faze, maintaining what you have being a
priority. (Think age, health.)

Personally, I would just eat a 'normal' diet, don't stress the protein, it will be what
it will be. But do keep track of the overall calories, just don't get fat unless you need
to (too lean).

This high protein obsession (not saying you) is just that . . . an obsession with no
real science supporting i.e. anything beyond the RDA. Just follow the RDA and you
are good to go. As you lose and gain muscle just adjust you protein in accordance
to your weight. Easy peasy.

Just my opinion.

Agreed as usual Alfresco! The protein-hype was created to sell protein powders, it's as simple as that. I's always about the money.

What about when cutting tho? More than 1g per bodyweight is better right for satiety and muscle saving purposes?

Also thermogenic effects from high protein...

A few Yrs Back I was called out on A Low carb High Protein Diet>
Letting the Extra Proteins convert to sugars as needed by the Body for Energy.
I added quite a bit of carbs into my Diet and as I am Maybe A bit Fuller' But now I fight the Bloat.
Thinking Back" Day in Day out I Looked better on the Higher Protein low carb Diet...Never Bloated!!!

Currently 213 lbs @5ft5
I eat about 200 grams of protein a day.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member