over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How Much Sugar On Insulin

AJW91

Registered
I know about about "insulin being dangerous" and yadda yadda yadda, but how much glucose/dextrose to we ACTUALLY need when on insulin? I mean, diabetics usually pop two to three glucose tabs when their BG levels are low... and that's only like 10 to 15g of glucose. Bodybuilding books and sites say to use 10g of dextrose for 1iu of insulin. That seems waaaay too high. I've seen some people on other sites say they go way lower than that.

I'm gonna buy a glucometer and start experimenting on myself to find out how much sugar I actually need.

Has anyone else here found they needed a lot less sugar per iu of insulin than most bodybuilding sources claim?

I know about about "insulin being dangerous" and yadda yadda yadda, but how much glucose/dextrose to we ACTUALLY need when on insulin? I mean, diabetics usually pop two to three glucose tabs when their BG levels are low... and that's only like 10 to 15g of glucose. Bodybuilding books and sites say to use 10g of dextrose for 1iu of insulin. That seems waaaay too high. I've seen some people on other sites say they go way lower than that.

I'm gonna buy a glucometer and start experimenting on myself to find out how much sugar I actually need.

Has anyone else here found they needed a lot less sugar per iu of insulin than most bodybuilding sources claim?

10g per iu of short acting insulin is what is recommended for DIABETICS as a guideline. This is for people who do not make their own insulin. When a non-diabetic take slin, he ADDS to the insulin his body is already making.

Well, you say, I know so and so who takes 15iu of slin PWO and he only has 100g of carbs with his slin. This person is moderately to highly insulin resistant, that wouldn't work for someone who has high insulin sensitivity. I can go hypo on 3iu of novolog with 60g of carbs if I don't eat again after an hour.

i do not go hypo @4 iu humalog while on keto diet with 50gr whey

In the mornings I go 10 humalog and 2 IUs of GH and just drink 2 optimum whey shakes with milk so about 50 carbs. Never had a problem.

In the mornings I go 10 humalog and 2 IUs of GH and just drink 2 optimum whey shakes with milk so about 50 carbs. Never had a problem.

You are both highly insulin resistant, you can increase your insulin sensitivity greatly, this will have several positive effects...

You are both highly insulin resistant, you can increase your insulin sensitivity greatly, this will have several positive effects...

What should one do to increase insulin sensitivity? Thanks

Depends...Ive had meals with zero sugars post slin/hypo. Fats and/or proteins work too.

Last edited:
I do go lower than 10grams per IU but only after I first became accustomed to slin on 10 grams per IU. Once I felt comfortable,

I slowly began to lower my carb intake while constantly monitoring myself with a glucose meter. I find 7-8 per IU is ideal for me and anything lower I start to go hypo. So, its not a huge decrease from 10 but its what I feel comfortable with.

In fact, I probably do 8-9 normally just because of the size of the servings and I'm not really that concerned with measuring less to save on a few grams of carbs.

If your really that concerned about a few extra carbs making you fat, than maybe you shouldn't be playing with slin.

10g per iu of short acting insulin is what is recommended for DIABETICS as a guideline. This is for people who do not make their own insulin. When a non-diabetic take slin, he ADDS to the insulin his body is already making.

Well, you say, I know so and so who takes 15iu of slin PWO and he only has 100g of carbs with his slin. This person is moderately to highly insulin resistant, that wouldn't work for someone who has high insulin sensitivity. I can go hypo on 3iu of novolog with 60g of carbs if I don't eat again after an hour.

Just talked to my type I diabetic friend and he says he takes 15g of carbs per 1iu of fast-acting insulin (so humulog or humulin-r). He specified CARBS, and not sugars. So I'm guessing some of those carbs could be more complex and others could be sugars like fructose, which have a lesser effect on blood glucose levels than glucose/dextrose.

So it looks like you're more or less right.

Depends...Ive had meals with zero sugars post slin/hypo. Fats and/or proteins work too.

X2
i defenitely dont believe you must have 10gm per 1iu or any other magic formula.
-JS

Just talked to my type I diabetic friend and he says he takes 15g of carbs per 1iu of fast-acting insulin (so humulog or humulin-r). He specified CARBS, and not sugars. So I'm guessing some of those carbs could be more complex and others could be sugars like fructose, which have a lesser effect on blood glucose levels than glucose/dextrose.

So it looks like you're more or less right.

I have a type-I friend also, originally when he was diagnosed and put on slin, they prescribed 52iu total per day (combo of long and short acting). This almost killed him because his insulin sensitivity is so high (extremely fit and works out a lot also). He currently uses 12-22iu/day, and this is a full Type-I diabetic, his glucose never goes above 200 and he generally keeps it in 80-120 range very well.

What should one do to increase insulin sensitivity? Thanks

Eating clean, keeping away from simple sugars, don't eat carbs by themselves, do cardio, don't eat too much carbs in any one meal. If you use slin, take breaks and use the minimum amount necessary. Omega-3s also increase sensitivity to some extent...

Eating clean, keeping away from simple sugars, don't eat carbs by themselves, do cardio, don't eat too much carbs in any one meal. If you use slin, take breaks and use the minimum amount necessary. Omega-3s also increase sensitivity to some extent...

This isn't a very conventional method, but occasional fasting also increases insulin sensitivity. I've even done alternate day fasting and ED 16-hour fasts (a la leangains), but this is too much, as it makes it difficult to consume enough quality calories from food at once. And if you're doing a 4 or 5 day split, alternate day fasting is a big no-no.

x3

My last run I would take my slin, Novolin R, eat breakfast then go train. Breakfast was 6 whole eggs and 4pc toast - 2 with butter 2 with jam, training Id drink BCAA with crystal light, pwo was straight whey with water. And I was up to 15iu.

I found I was getting harder using the slin with protein and fats and keeping the carbs out. Thats why I think you hear of a lot of guys gaining fat on slin because they pound back the carbs thinking they have to. Dont get me wrong it takes time to to figure out that fine line and everyone will respond differently than the next. I also prefer the long acting version over fast acting because its not such a large spike and I think that attributes to fat gains for some as well.

^ dude thats like 100g of sugar in your breakfast...are you really believing you are consuming no sugar when you eat BREAD and JELLY

:confused:

well, when you are in keto and consuming protein in that amount, you are in glucogenesis you probably wouldn't go hypo. For me, when i was doing a ketop diet i used a small amount of slin(like 2iu) after my cheat meal to drop me immediately back into to keto. That worked pretty well when combined with cardio.

x3

My last run I would take my slin, Novolin R, eat breakfast then go train. Breakfast was 6 whole eggs and 4pc toast - 2 with butter 2 with jam, training Id drink BCAA with crystal light, pwo was straight whey with water. And I was up to 15iu.

I found I was getting harder using the slin with protein and fats and keeping the carbs out. Thats why I think you hear of a lot of guys gaining fat on slin because they pound back the carbs thinking they have to. Dont get me wrong it takes time to to figure out that fine line and everyone will respond differently than the next. I also prefer the long acting version over fast acting because its not such a large spike and I think that attributes to fat gains for some as well.

I completely 100% agree with the above. I fell victim to it once. Also, if you take more insulin, your going to need more carbs/food - and that is what makes you fat, not the slin. Dont take more slin then you need to, eat clean, and you shouldnt gain much if any fat.

No reason one should not to be able to use slin to get harder and leaner. Lots of other ingredients (ie: gh) help dictate the matter as well.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131