over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how much weigth would you Convert a Dumbell bench to a Barbell bench press

speed

Registered
i know this could depend alot on many factors, such as how much you keep up with either one. i completly eliminated straight bar presses for years. typically speaking most people have stated that the straight bar is easier and u should generaly put up more weight on it compared to dumbells, cuz the dumbells are more independent. i know if i went back to a straight bar it would not be as impressive as it should be, possibly less than i do in dumbells? but if we spoke on a typical occurance for some of you that possible keep up with both how much would you say someone could straight bar bench if they were able to dumbell bench press 300lb total? or for the guys that do keep up with dumbell and barbell presses of any incline, whats your weight differnece you play with?

well when i was doing 160 lb dumbell incline press for 8-10 reps.. i was incline barbell pressing 335 8-10. This was an easy 8-10 reps. flat dumbell press 180 lb -8-10 reps...405 on the flat for 6-8 this was a heavy 6-8 reps

Last edited:
Tough question...

I think there are other factors as well.

I don't dumbell bench press very often so when I do, it seems uncoordinated and uncontrolled at higher weight. The dumbells in my gym only go to 120. I can do those for 8 reps pretty easy but dont really feel in control, and can bench for reps in the mid 300s, very controlled for reps.

So I think it depends on how much you do the dumbells. Just my opinion.

Wow! That's some some big weight to be moving. I wish you speedy recovery so you can get back moving the 180lb dumbells around again. If I remember right you said you injured your back from a casket slamming into you while driving. Hows the injury to date?

well when i was doing 160 lb dumbell incline press for 8-10 reps.. i was incline barbell pressing 335 8-10. This was an easy 8-10 reps. flat dumbell press 180 lb -8-10 reps...405 on the flat for 6-8 this was a heavy 6-8 reps

There is exactly zero correlation between the two.

Wow! That's some some big weight to be moving. I wish you speedy recovery so you can get back moving the 180lb dumbells around again. If I remember right you said you injured your back from a casket slamming into you while driving. Hows the injury to date?

Thanks brother....I hope to be back soon as well. LOL..yeah thats my story, and i bet there are not too many like it! Hopefully I will be back by September.

I find it this way (as well as my training partners)

Increases in DB press --> don't effect barbell bench press strength
Increase barbel bench press --> increase in DB press strength

How can there be zero correlation between the two when they both involve the same muscle groups? The only difference is there is a greater range of motion and more stability involved when using d-bells. As far as converting weight from d-bells to barbell or vice versa, I don't know any formula that would give you an accurate conversion. Just try it and find out!:D

I find it this way (as well as my training partners)

Increases in DB press --> don't effect barbell bench press strength
Increase barbel bench press --> increase in DB press strength

I agree! I've noticed this as well.

How can there be zero correlation between the two when they both involve the same muscle groups? The only difference is there is a greater range of motion and more stability involved when using d-bells. As far as converting weight from d-bells to barbell or vice versa, I don't know any formula that would give you an accurate conversion. Just try it and find out!:D

Moving heavy weight dumbbells takes a lot more out of me since I have two independent weights/movements that you're accounting for and many people are slightly stronger on one side over the other. I think it takes a lot more control over barbell and because of the added need for control utilizes a different distribution of muscles in the chest/shoulders/arms.

I would assume that anyone who's putting up over 100-120dbs should be over 300lbs barbell. But that's not everyone. Some folks have shoulder injuries from improper barbell lifting that prevents them from putting up too much weight and so primarily stick to dumbbells.

Moving heavy weight dumbbells takes a lot more out of me since I have two independent weights/movements that you're accounting for and many people are slightly stronger on one side over the other. I think it takes a lot more control over barbell and because of the added need for control utilizes a different distribution of muscles in the chest/shoulders/arms.

I would assume that anyone who's putting up over 100-120dbs should be over 300lbs barbell. But that's not everyone. Some folks have shoulder injuries from improper barbell lifting that prevents them from putting up too much weight and so primarily stick to dumbbells.

True! Plus you have to pick them up and throw them up to your chest unless you have a spotter....taking a lot out of you before you even start.
Friend of mine has shoulder injuries and is substantially weaker at barbell chest press. I always thought that d-bells should give him more problems b/c of the independence, stability, and greater range of motion. But that's never been the case:rolleyes:

agree 100
barrinng injuries if you are strong on one you will be strong on other. I don't think there is an accurate calculation to correlate the two. They are TOTALLY DIFFERENT exercises. They use some of the same muscle fibers and the movement is similar but they are not the same by any means. I use db's as an accessory exercise during my bench/chest day. Many more muscle fibers are recruited during BP.

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members