YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How often do you donate blood to keep hematocrit levels in a healthy range?

Is the 21ga large enough? I know they recommend the 16-17ga for blood donation because bigger could cause minor damage but I assume even 21ga it should pass through but might be slow
I have done it twice with these without problems.

Never had an issue with iron being too low. The donation center that I use monitors levels prior to any donation....blood, platelets, plasma, so that is controlled for our safety and health.
Unfortunately, Vitalant doesn't have the capabilities or in-house facilitates to determine the quantitative analytes of either serum iron or ferritin. I've known this, as I've had this same conversation several times in the past. This isn't limited to just Vitalant. This is with the majority of blood donation centers across the board.

However, the confusion comes to play when phlebotomists and the donors themselves erroneously term hemoglobin synonymously as iron. The terms are not interchangeable nor can they be used in comparisons to either analyte.

Nevertheless, as previously aforementioned, I've spoken with a rep in past at Vitalant if they have the capabilities to determine serum iron and ferritin. Their response is the same as the email from their Strategic Communications Manager. As you can see, they don't check iron or ferritin levels.

Every once in a while you have to reach within your grasps -argumentum ad verecundiam to validate your stance.

If you're phlebotomizing routinely it would be highly suggestive to have your iron status pulled every now and again

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-03-10-14-42-16.png
    Capture+_2021-03-10-14-42-16.png
    216 KB · Views: 15
Unfortunately, Vitalant doesn't have the capabilities or in-house facilitates to determine the quantitative analytes of either serum iron or ferritin. I've known this, as I've had this same conversation several times in the past. This isn't limited to just Vitalant. This is with the majority of blood donation centers across the board.

However, the confusion comes to play when phlebotomists and the donors themselves erroneously term hemoglobin synonymously as iron. The terms are not interchangeable nor can they be used in comparisons to either analyte.

Nevertheless, as previously aforementioned, I've spoken with a rep in past at Vitalant if they have the capabilities to determine serum iron and ferritin. Their response is the same as the email from their Strategic Communications Manager. As you can see, they don't check iron or ferritin levels.

Every once in a while you have to reach within your grasps -argumentum ad verecundiam to validate your stance.

If you're phlebotomizing routinely it would be highly suggestive to have your iron status pulled every now and again

Ahh yes, the good old fashioned sorcery that Vitalant pulls by telling us our iron levels with a finger prick :)

One blood donation centers clamps a device around my thumb for 1-2 seconds and tells me my “iron” number. I’m always 15 or 15.6 or something in the fife teens. Not sure what kind of test that is?...

Ahh yes, the good old fashioned sorcery that Vitalant pulls by telling us our iron levels with a finger prick :)

Vitalant (I there yesterday giving blood) and with the finger prick all
I get from them is hemoglobin, mine was 18.8, which is worst case.
Cool thing about Vitalant (could be with others as well) is that you
can check on line and see your test results, bp, pulse, hemo, etc.
over the years. I have donated over 10 gallons and the 'free' gift cards
are not too bad also.

One blood donation centers clamps a device around my thumb for 1-2 seconds and tells me my “iron” number. I’m always 15 or 15.6 or something in the fife teens. Not sure what kind of test that is?...
That 15 g/dL would be your hemoglobin.

An iron level of 15 would indicate Iron deficiency. Depending on the assay used, most reference ranges for serum iron is 60 to 170 +/- mcg/dL.

To determine ones iron status or the other analytes of iron require an actual vein puncture drawing blood into a vial then centrifuged, then using flow cytometry methodologies to determine the quantitative amount of iron. The use of hemoglobinometers (finger prick) at donation centers can not determine iron or ferritin levels.

An iron level of 15 would indicate Iron deficiency. Depending on the assay used, most reference ranges for serum iron is 60 to 170 +/- mcg/dL.

To determine ones iron status or the other analytes of iron require an actual vein puncture drawing blood into a vial then centrifuged, then using flow cytometry methodologies to determine the quantitative amount of iron. The use of hemoglobinometers (finger prick) at donation centers can not determine iron or ferritin levels.
I’m definitely not deficient. My GP bloodwork was all normal. I’ll have to ask what it means next time I go there.

You have forgotten more about this than I know, but here goes . . .

Vitalant will not let my wife donate blood because they say her iron level
is too low; all determined by a finger prick / blood test. Me, on the other
hand, have tons (no pun intended) of iron and RBC. I have so much iron
and red blood cells that it usually prompts the question . . . "does your
doctor know about this?" (I am in the high-normal range.) I respond yes,
but is not alarmed. Just donate blood.

One Blood Centers must have been freelanced by a rudimentary moron. They certainly lack understanding on the differentiation of hemoglobin and iron are not synonymous with each other.

The orsense clap doesn't "check iron."

The NBM 200 is a non‐invasive blood analytes monitor. It measures and displays blood hemoglobin (Hb), oxygen saturation level* and pulse rate (PR) values.

You have forgotten more about this than I know, but here goes . . .

Vitalant will not let my wife donate blood because they say her iron level
is too low; all determined by a finger prick / blood test. Me, on the other
hand, have tons (no pun intended) of iron and RBC. I have so much iron
and red blood cells that it usually prompts the question . . . "does your
doctor know about this?" (I am in the high-normal range.) I respond yes,
but is not alarmed. Just donate blood.

It's truly saddening that these phlebotomists are very clueless that a hemoglobin level does not correlate with iron.

I've had phlebotomists in the past state I have a good amount of iron by my hemoglobin levels and dark hue color of my blood. Which has been on the higher end of normal 17-18+/-.

Nevertheless, I've taken screenshots of my "actual" serum iron, TIBC, transferrin saturation% and ferritin to show them, um, no, actually you're very incorrect. Yet, they don't comprehend primarily because I'm just another face in there adding to their needs. However.

If you and your wife have any upcoming visits with your treating clinician, ask for either an anemia panel or a iron panel. For your wife, I'd suggest the anemia panel.

With you as a frequent flyer donating blood, you may be on the lowish side of your iron status-ferritin.

Most of these donations websites in the FAQ sections recommend frequent donors to supplement with ferrous sulfate or some sort of iron supplements.

It's truly saddening that these phlebotomists are very clueless that a hemoglobin level does not correlate with iron.

I've had phlebotomists in the past state I have a good amount of iron by my hemoglobin levels and dark hue color of my blood. Which has been on the higher end of normal 17-18+/-.

Nevertheless, I've taken screenshots of my "actual" serum iron, TIBC, transferrin saturation% and ferritin to show them, um, no, actually you're very incorrect. Yet, they don't comprehend primarily because I'm just another face in there adding to their needs. However.

If you and your wife have any upcoming visits with your treating clinician, ask for either an anemia panel or a iron panel. For your wife, I'd suggest the anemia panel.

With you as a frequent flyer donating blood, you may be on the lowish side of your iron status-ferritin.

Most of these donations websites in the FAQ sections recommend frequent donors to supplement with ferrous sulfate or some sort of iron supplements.

My hemoglobin and hematocrit are high. i just donated blood today. Do you recommend i get anemia panel or iron panel? Forgot to point out, i am on 80mg test cyp weekly.

My hemoglobin and hematocrit are high. i just donated blood today. Do you recommend i get anemia panel or iron panel? Forgot to point out, i am on 80mg test cyp weekly.
It's always a good idea to check either if you routinely donate. Or even out of curiosity if you've only donated a few times in your lifetime.

It's always a good idea to check either if you routinely donate. Or even out of curiosity if you've only donated a few times in your lifetime.

I appreciate the reply. I will ask my doctor about getting these tests done. my hematocrit was 54% and hemoglobin was 18.2 a couple of weeks ago. I live at 5500ft elevation so that could be contributing to it also. My doctor wants me under 54%, otherwise he will discontinue my use of TRT. Getting blood drawns tomorrow to see if it went down from the donation i made yesterday.

My hematologist checks mine about once a year. My iron is borderline low much of the time but he thinks that is ok. I dont feel any sides from it. I asked him about it. When my iron was higher I found out that I needed monthly phlebotomies to keep my hemoglobin down. That went on for about 1 year or more. Eventually my iron got down and then that issue got better so that now I only get a phlebotomy about 2 or 3 times a year. He had me stop taking a multivitamin with iron in it and it seemed like it helped.

My hematologist checks mine about once a year. My iron is borderline low much of the time but he thinks that is ok. I dont feel any sides from it. I asked him about it. When my iron was higher I found out that I needed monthly phlebotomies to keep my hemoglobin down. That went on for about 1 year or more. Eventually my iron got down and then that issue got better so that now I only get a phlebotomy about 2 or 3 times a year. He had me stop taking a multivitamin with iron in it and it seemed like it helped.
I know we've talked about this openly on here from time-to-time. I'd like to believe you're in a different category than the general population given the nature of your unfortunate event.

American College of Cardiology seems to believe, replenishing Fe status is beneficial for individuals such as yourself with reduced ejection fraction-HF.

Or so the guys dressed up in white-coats with a bunch of abbreviations after their names can't quite come to agreements to favor one-way or the other.

I know there's different schools of thought on the potentials or lack thereof in the presence of lackluster Fe status.

In an otherwise healthy individual, myself being one of them that beat the bejesus out of my Fe status from over phlebotomizing. I struggled gasping walking up a flight of stairs or anything strenuous took a toll on me. My cognitive function for memory recall sucked in school and day to day life. My heart rate was constantly hovering around 90-100 BMP at rest. Amongst several other feeling like doo-doo thingys. This was all under the guidance years ago by one of my old treating clinicians for T replacement to phlebotomize routinely once my HH hit 18/54. This was 8-9 years ago. That lasted a better part of a year. He's nothing but a faded memory today. Not we'll versed. However.

I might donate once per year now, primarily when I get constant phone calls from the local blood bank. Otherwise, I don't hyperfixate on my HH levels. At the same time, they hover around 17/18+/- 52/54%. I don't blink an eye at it. I'll check my chem panel, punch in my osmolality. Sure enough, I wasn't sufficiently hydrated at that time of my labs. Others flip out thinking their going to stroke out our flop over from a MI. All-in-all that stressing out over a meaningless value that fluctuates widely throughout the day isn't good for our overall health :)

I know we've talked about this openly on here from time-to-time. I'd like to believe you're in a different category than the general population given the nature of your unfortunate event.

American College of Cardiology seems to believe, replenishing Fe status is beneficial for individuals such as yourself with reduced ejection fraction-HF.

Or so the guys dressed up in white-coats with a bunch of abbreviations after their names can't quite come to agreements to favor one-way or the other.

I know there's different schools of thought on the potentials or lack thereof in the presence of lackluster Fe status.

In an otherwise healthy individual, myself being one of them that beat the bejesus out of my Fe status from over phlebotomizing. I struggled gasping walking up a flight of stairs or anything strenuous took a toll on me. My cognitive function for memory recall sucked in school and day to day life. My heart rate was constantly hovering around 90-100 BPM at rest. Amongst several other feeling like doo-doo thingys. This was all under the guidance years ago by one of my old treating clinicians for T replacement to phlebotomize routinely once my HH hit 18/54. This was 8-9 years ago. That lasted a better part of a year. He's nothing but a faded memory today. Not we'll versed. However.

I might donate once per year now, primarily when I get constant phone calls from the local blood bank. Otherwise, I don't hyperfixate on my HH levels. At the same time, they hover around 17/18+/- 52/54%. I don't blink an eye at it. I'll check my chem panel, punch in my osmolality. Sure enough, I wasn't sufficiently hydrated at that time of my labs. Others flip out thinking their going to stroke out our flop over from a MI. All-in-all that stressing out over a meaningless value that fluctuates widely throughout the day isn't good for our overall health :)

Late Edit: bold.

I meant to add this within my last response. Busy day.

I'm not directing this at you specifically, Maldorf. Moreso, since you brought to discussion about eliminating iron through a multivitamin. I've had this same conversation with several people as well different physicians with mixed opinions. I personally stand behind supplementation if one's Fe status is subpar- deficient. Not saying you should. In general.

The better part of a year ago on my way to work, as usual I'm tuning in to one of my go-to stations on Sirius XM, Doctor radio. It's a live show that hosts different discussions about interdisciplinary medicines, from ER, urology, dermatology, cardiology to oncology-hematology as well as several other hourly segmented shows. You can call in with whatever questions pique your interest.

I happened to catch the oncology-hematology hour, which the topic was about myeloproliferative disorders, such as PV, ect. The hosts were discussing different treatment strategies, so on and so forth. Phlebotomizing was one of the topics discussed. So, I called in asking their opinions on routinely phlebotomizing and supplementation of iron in someone who's pushed their iron status in the dirt. Both of the hematologists on the show agreed that with secondary erythrocytosis (worlds apart from the topic at hand of myeloproliferative disorders) there's detriments if over phlebotomized and untreated iron deficiency. Given their clinical experience, it's not advisable to push the envelope to continuously phlebotomize. As it comes with consequence in itself, if you punch the patients Fe status in the dirt (obviously I'm paraphrasing, with accurate context) this creates more issues for the patient. Their response to supplemental Fe if one happened to become iron deficient, even without anemia. By supplemental iron, this addresses the secondary by symptoms related to iron deficiency, which these issues generally correct itself with supplemental iron. At the same time, for reference, one of the hematologist referred me to an interview that was done that's accessible online by one of his colleagues, -Josef T. Prchal, MD, PhD (Professor Division of Hematology and Hematologic Malignancies. Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Utah).

Keep in mind, Dr. Prchal commentaries are lined around individuals with PV (polycthemia vera) which is worlds apart from secondary erythrocytosis. PV is a myeloproliferative disorder, in which is all hematopoietic cells are increased (platelets, white blood cells, and red blood cells) through increased cell proliferation, hence, myelo-(marrow derived) proliferative-(abnormal cell production). Bad.

With secondary erythrocytosis, only erythrocytes (red blood cells) are increased to a ceiling point given ones genetics and other factors that may be related to oxygen sensing. The prevalency of thromboembolism is much higher in individuals with PV than those with secondary erythrocytosis. Which the latter is quite rare in isolation without a secondary etiology (abnormal condition). Given the commentary below by, Dr. Prchal, we can conclude his concerns are as equally important to treat Fe deficiency-WITHOUT-anemia. Nevertheless.

H&O: "Do you treat symptoms of severe iron deficiency in phlebotomized patients with polycythemia?" JP: "Yes, I absolutely do. We have a lot of evidence indicating that ignoring iron deficiency is bad medicine. Hemoglobin requires iron, as do the muscles, the brain, and all other tissues. In addition, iron is essential for the degradation of HIF (iron is a cofactor of HIF’s principal negative regulators; ie, prolyl hydroxylases), and so iron deficiency further increases erythropoietin production and erythropoiesis. If someone who has pulmonary hypertension and too many red cells in a high-altitude environment (chronic mountain sickness) is treated with phlebotomy, we have created iron deficiency and worsened the pulmonary hypertension. I believe that always using phlebotomy to treat all forms of polycythemia is misguided and can even be harmful. It can improve the laboratory test results, such as the hemoglobin level, which makes us physicians feel better but is bad for the patients. If symptomatic iron deficiency develops in a patient following phlebotomy, we can address that with a short course of oral iron supplementation, and the patient will usually experience an immediate decrease in fatigue and improvement in quality of life."

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear