over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How often do you guys take 5-7 days off

grizzly978

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know rest is really important and I have not taken a week off in quite sometime as I enjoy fitness, be it the boxing gym, weight room, wrestling, or jogging.
It makes me feel like I will lose progress to take a week off.

Is this OCD and for the guys that take a week off, how many times a year do you do it? Or how many days off if not a week do you take off to rest up?

Thanks PM brothers, I know your advice is going to be solid

Usually twice a year I take off 4-5 days for bloodwork. Usually once as an accident during summer and once as an accident during holidays. Not planned...just kind of happens so overall about 4 times a year for me. Granted for bloods I usually take 4 days so that isn't really hitting your metric.

You won't lose anything honestly man you really won't and it's still fine to do some exercise. Maybe just add in a week of lighter work whether it be weight room, boxing, etc. more of a recovery mode type of deal.

Best I usually looks is after taking days off from the gym. Body becomes fuller, and feel better

Then go back and start the destruction process again, and teeter on the edge of overtraining

Like JJ said, it's free therapy for a lot of us

I know rest is really important and I have not taken a week off in quite sometime as I enjoy fitness, be it the boxing gym, weight room, wrestling, or jogging.
It makes me feel like I will lose progress to take a week off.

Is this OCD and for the guys that take a week off, how many times a year do you do it? Or how many days off if not a week do you take off to rest up?

Thanks PM brothers, I know your advice is going to be solid

I never, ever take a week off...which is a huge mistake. As you mention, this is OCD, and if you've been training hard for a long time, then you need your time off to let your body rest and recover. If you've been beating up your body for a while in the gym, then in all likelihood you will benefit from time off or a deload week, and you will come back from a week off bigger and stronger and ready to go again.

We all know this, or should know it. But for those of us, for whom the gym is therapy, it is hard to make ourselves believe it. I feel good when I'm beating myself up in the gym...but if progress has stalled, then I am just beating myself up.

Some people don't train hard enough that they need time off. But if you've been training hard for a long time, and progress has stalled, then do yourself a favor and take some time off. Pursue other interests, give your body and mind and soul a break from the grind.

I wish I could, but I'm addicted to pushing my body way too hard in the gym. Be smart. Don't be like me.

Usually twice a year I take off 4-5 days for bloodwork. Usually once as an accident during summer and once as an accident during holidays. Not planned...just kind of happens so overall about 4 times a year for me. Granted for bloods I usually take 4 days so that isn't really hitting your metric.

You won't lose anything honestly man you really won't and it's still fine to do some exercise. Maybe just add in a week of lighter work whether it be weight room, boxing, etc. more of a recovery mode type of deal.
Me too ^^^
The only time I take off is a few days before blood work. My yearly physical for work i most definitely take off, but my regular doctor says she doesn't care if I do or not since we have some many comparisons of liver enzymes training vs. not training.

Every 6 weeks or so I drop my volume wayyy down for 1 week, a deload. I thought everyone did? Your body probably needs it if you train heard. You guys who never take time off Dont ever feel overtrained>?

Every 6 weeks or so I drop my volume wayyy down for 1 week, a deload. I thought everyone did? Your body probably needs it if you train heard. You guys who never take time off Dont ever feel overtrained>?
I cut back on volume and intensity when I start getting run down, I will train like its the week before the show and just force as much blood into the muscle, when I feel good again I go back to tearing shit up.

I religiously take one week off after I give blood every two months. No weight training,
just cardio (walking).

And then there is the time off when traveling but our type of traveling is very active
and if and when possible, includes some school yard, city play ground training . . .
dips, chins, hand stand presses, etc.

When I was younger, for years and years I worked out every other day, full body and
my workout routine remained virtually unchanged. In retrospect, I think a M, W, F is
better because you get two days off in a row for recovery just when you need it.

In retrospect I 'should' have taken more time off and not been a slave to weight training
as the outcome I believe would have ultimately been the same.

I've never taken 5-7 days off in a row, ever. Max has probably been 3 days when I had both a strained lower back and a stomach bug. If I'm throwing up or something similar I'll obviously take a day or two off, but I never take days off just because someone says to deload, because it's what people think should be done etc.

I thrive on frequent training. I've tried cutting back in the past and when I'm not training 6 days a week I have less energy, performance suffers, etc.

I will take 4-5 days off lifting every couple months but instead do other specific type of training, BJJ, boxing, or when we have reunion every July. Shooting ranges, ocean swims, etc. This month was the NYC Hudson river swim. but i will still push out push ups, chins, etc just no lifting. Body def needs a break. Adjust calories as well Im early 50s, so i need a break lol

Only when I am on vacation and there are no gym facilities available.

I'm not afraid of losing muscle or anything like that, it's just after 35 years of consistent training it's like asking me to hold my breath for 5-7 days.

Twice a year. Early July and over New Years when I'm in the great northern woods for a week.

I take off 5-9 days when I fell I need to 2-3 times a year on blast or cruise. I work construction and I’m out in the elements no shade or shelter so definitely needed. But I used to think the same thing I’ll lose muscle, I’ll get smaller, and I’ll get weak but that’s not the case. I will lose fullness and will appear a little smaller (I’m the only one who notices) but it comes back as soon as I start training again getting that blood back in the muscles. If anything I’m bigger than I was before I took those days off. You rest your muscles, mind and nervous system. And the hunger goes away around the 5th day but I get 4 meals in. I’ve progressed better doing this.

I only take time off when I’m ill. It’s probably a good idea to do sporadically but I feel crap and feel I get nothing positive from it, mentally or physically.

If I feel stale or something’s not clicking in the gym, I just change style of training for a weeks to mix it up

I've never taken 5-7 days off in a row, ever. Max has probably been 3 days when I had both a strained lower back and a stomach bug. If I'm throwing up or something similar I'll obviously take a day or two off, but I never take days off just because someone says to deload, because it's what people think should be done etc.

I thrive on frequent training. I've tried cutting back in the past and when I'm not training 6 days a week I have less energy, performance suffers, etc.
In the same way... I always get pissed at the guys that say they come back stronger after a week off. I regress every time. I tried a week off before one of my first cpl PL comps. Worse performance i ever had.

That said, at 37... its caught up to me 100%. I wish I wouldn't have pushed it like I did at your age. I get it completely tho. I actually look better than ever right now after the quarantine forced break but my strength and performance isnt near what it was going into March.

I'm floored by the responses in here with everything we know about recovery and supercompensation. A lot of programs have time off built in them.

- DC has a 10-14 day cruise period every 6-12 weeks. Some guys take those entire 14 days off.

- 5/3/1 has a deload every 6 weeks, which again some people just take off.

- Big A trains 3 weeks on, 1 week off according to his Growth Principles for Beginners

- Dorian trained 5 weeks on, 1 week off

- Max-OT is 8-10 weeks on, 1 week off

- I think John Meadows' programs are typically run for 12 weeks and then some days off.

That's 1-2 weeks off multiple times a year for some well-known training programs.

I love training as much as the next person, but after 6-8 weeks I need, and look forward to, time off. I never come back stronger like some people, but feel it's beneficial in the grand scheme of things.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131