over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How often do you guys take 5-7 days off

I rest when my body tells me to do so.
This ^^^ i will adjust my training frequency when I need it, may go from 5 days training, to 4 days training or even 3 days training when i start getting beat up, then IF i must i will simply take several days in a row off, depends how my body is feeling, how my numbers are doing in the gym, and what recovery is like.

I'm in the therapy camp. My job is mostly done at the computer so my gym time is my opportunity to really exert myself physically. It's a staple of my day, keeping me productive, awake, and happy. I usually end up taking enough days off from the gym due to business or other responsibilities that I don't feel the need to take a break from the gym. My gym lapses happen just random enough that I don't feel the need for any additional break.

Rest? Why? Recovery is stimulated through the lymphatic and nervous system, both of which need stimulation. The day I learned to truly mix intensities was the day I took a major step forward.

I take off several days after every surgery. Other then that I just moderate what I need, sometime a while after I need it.

I'm floored by the responses in here with everything we know about recovery and supercompensation. A lot of programs have time off built in them.

- DC has a 10-14 day cruise period every 6-12 weeks. Some guys take those entire 14 days off.

- 5/3/1 has a deload every 6 weeks, which again some people just take off.

- Big A trains 3 weeks on, 1 week off according to his Growth Principles for Beginners

- Dorian trained 5 weeks on, 1 week off

- Max-OT is 8-10 weeks on, 1 week off

- I think John Meadows' programs are typically run for 12 weeks and then some days off.

That's 1-2 weeks off multiple times a year for some well-known training programs.

I love training as much as the next person, but after 6-8 weeks I need, and look forward to, time off. I never come back stronger like some people, but feel it's beneficial in the grand scheme of things.

This. Do people think experts advise us to take time off for shits and giggles? I'm a stubborn guy, but damn, never taking time off is counterproductive. All the threads I see about getting injured, I wonder how many of them could have been avoided by proper programming.

I take 1 week off, 2x per year. Otherwise, other than missing a random workout here or there, I don't take non-prescriptive periods of time off.

This. Do people think experts advise us to take time off for shits and giggles? I'm a stubborn guy, but damn, never taking time off is counterproductive. All the threads I see about getting injured, I wonder how many of them could have been avoided by proper programming.

I also think people need to be more in tune with how their training affects life outside the gym. Sleep, mood, behaviour etc

I was an intensity addict following low volume, true failure training for years and years. I finally became honest with myself and realized it is not working for me. I made the switch to smart volume with no failure sets and everything is better. My sleeping problems are gone and I'm starting to feel and look better.

I also think people need to be more in tune with how their training affects life outside the gym. Sleep, mood, behaviour etc

I was an intensity addict following low volume, true failure training for years and years. I finally became honest with myself and realized it is not working for me. I made the switch to smart volume with no failure sets and everything is better. My sleeping problems are gone and I'm starting to feel and look better.

I agree with this, and vice versa. I should have taken a deload finals week. Looking back I didnt and just burnt out and had to a week later anyway. I can understand people being bullish (I usually am) but we sacrifice so much to look as good as possible, it makes no sense for us to not deload and recover just because we feel like we are addicted to the gym.

Research has shown taking 2 weeks off training after every 6 weeks on leads to the same amount of gains as not taking breaks

I’m taking this week off for the first time in a year. I was so beat up and tired all the time from a bunch of training. Going to let my body rest and get back to it next week.

I need it. Now. Work has been physically brutal, workouts have been intense yet unproductive and almost not enjoyable, diet has been inconsistent to say the least. Sounds like a week or two off to regroup is in order. To give you an idea, I've dropped 12lbs the past two weeks while eating like a computer nerd. Gotta get my shit back together.

Totally off? Rarely. I’ll cut frequency down though

Running PPL, I’ll go 5 days a week 1-2 weeks, 4 days a week 2-3, then 3 days a week for a week. If I’m not recovering from 3 sessions a week I’m fucking off on eating or sleeping.

Or vacations. If I’m going on a week vacation I might hit the local gym
For a full body session mid week.

I think people here have different definitions of “rest.” I think of walking as rest but others may not. I am viewing this as if “rest” is simply not weight training or doing something like HIIT. Obviously, sitting on the couch for a week is not going to be good no matter what. But taking a week or two off from weights and using that rest time to go on walks can be quite beneficial.

I just took 5 days off and went to Kauai with my wife. Two workouts complete since I have gotten back and I have beat my log book in every category

I feel significant depression when that happens. Once a year I completely stop lifting weights to train for a swim test. I swim 1000 meters a day and I feel great mentally with that but if I stop all training it's depression.
I am currently 8 months off of gear no problem with that and usually at some point I want to stop gear for a little break.

I "feel" like every 8 weeks that I take 7 days off and that's perfect for me. Joints and muscles feel good doing this and never feel over trained doing this sort of periodization.

I am also without question not OCD about workouts or missing them. I dont ever just skip a gym day unless I take a week off. I also dont hyperventilate if I miss a week out of the gym.

Truth be told, I dont see the gym as therapy. To me, It's a place I have to go where all the other people are going to be and it takes a bit of effort to get in the mindset to be there.

I'm not a people person and being in close quarters to a lot of people is really not my comfort zone but I deal with it.

my next planned deload (after 6 weeks going hard)

7 days, train 3 of them. Day 1 1 set of push exercises, Day 2 1 set of pull exercises (failure), Day 3 full body pump workout.

I "feel" like every 8 weeks that I take 7 days off and that's perfect for me. Joints and muscles feel good doing this and never feel over trained doing this sort of periodization.

I am also without question not OCD about workouts or missing them. I dont ever just skip a gym day unless I take a week off. I also dont hyperventilate if I miss a week out of the gym.

Truth be told, I dont see the gym as therapy. To me, It's a place I have to go where all the other people are going to be and it takes a bit of effort to get in the mindset to be there.

I'm not a people person and being in close quarters to a lot of people is really not my comfort zone but I deal with it.

Kinda off topic, but good to see you back around

I just took almost a week off and just love how responsive you are first getting back at it. Incredible pump, mind muscle connection felt new again. I think it's as good for your brain as it is for your body.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131