over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to best develop "teardrop" muscle on inside leg just above knee

Veinlover

Newbies
Perhaps its my genetics, but for some reason my legs do not develop the "teardrop" muscle (I've forgotten its real name) just above the knee on the inside of the leg. For quads I do squats to parallel, leg lifts and lunges, the outside of my legs is developing fine, but not that one muscle. Any ideas for how to emphasize that muscle to develop it, because that muscle, in my opinion, is critical for a developed looking leg?

hack squats with toes pointed inwards help quite a bit, so do front squats , and wide stance seems to work the inner quads better . just experiment with ur stance width and see how things work for u . lunges help too .

Hack or regular squats-feet close stance, directly under shoulders (if you have good knees)-toes pointed outward. If you have bad knees you can move feet in front of your body a little more-but its a little less effective.
Leg extentions-toes pointed out too.

I felt leg ext.

To be the best exercise for developing the teardrop.

hm...

For myself single leg ext and front squats tear up my Tear drops. Sissy squats should hit them well also.

I agree with mojo, single leg extensions, front squats, and I like to do single leg presses, it allows you to get your leg in position to attack the areas you need to improve...doing single leg presses after single extensions will blow your teardrops away. I'm the same way as you, my upper quads have good size, but the teardrop was lacking, so I started training quads twice a week and it's made a huge difference.

Try ATF back squats with a narrow foot stance. Also, front squats will bring them out too.

Try leg extensions, supersetted with Smith Machine Front squats .Do the exts. first to pre-exhaust the legs.It`s helping to bring my legs up, which have always been my weakpoint.Squats should also be done .Just alternate on different weeks.

Thank you all for your replies. There is some disagreement among you, which of course leads me to conclude this may have much to do with my individual body mechanics. I tend to point toes OUT on squats, so will try pointing them inwards, that seems universal among you. I do not have access to leg press machine at the moment, but will put more emphasis on front squats. I recently have started lunges, and will put more emphasis on them, as I agree it feels like the teardrop muscle is hit hard by that exercise. I kind of like doing lunges anyhow. I also have been considering doing legs twice a week, perhaps once for heavy and once for reps, that was a thought anyhow. I don't know if I can do legs heavy twice a week, but I know I could do a rep leg day between the heavy sets. I have debated with myself whether to pre-exaust legs with leg extensions, or do them after squats, to finish them off. Like all of us, I want to lift my max weight on squat, and I can't do that if I pre-exhaust, so I've been inclined to do squats first, then front squats, then lunges, then finally extensions. Also, because extensions are a machine, it matters not at all if my legs fail completely, but that would be bad with the squat, I could end up stapled to the floor (just joking guys). I also appreciate the suggestion to try one leg extensions and to try supersetting with squats and extensions.

Another thought I just had would be a day of just squats and extensions, and a second day of front squats (or hacks), lunges and extensions. I kind of like that program, now that I've said it, what do you guys think?

I hate to sound like an idiot, but what are sissy squats? I've heard the phrase often, but have no idea what they are. I also don't know what "ATF back" squats are, unless Nico meant "hack" squats.

I'm glad to hear there are others with this problem, lacking the inner (teardrop) quad makes the legs look way less strong than they should, given the outer quad development.

Advice

If you dont have the "teardrop" appearance after working out a while, you will never have it in proportion to the rest of your leg. Pointing toes inward or outward is only asking for an injury sooner or later. Please just follow the biomechanicaly natural movement patterns and let it grow where it will. And please, never, ever do leg extensions. The leg was just not made to do that movement. It causes too much shearing force on the knee. Too much stress is on the ACl because the quad muscle proprioception is imbalanced in comparison to the hamstring.

Re: Advice

PHIL HERNON said:
Pointing toes inward or outward is only asking for an injury sooner or later. Please just follow the biomechanicaly natural movement patterns and let it grow where it will. And please, never, ever do leg extensions. The leg was just not made to do that movement. It causes too much shearing force on the knee. Too much stress is on the ACl because the quad muscle proprioception is imbalanced in comparison to the hamstring.
Thanks for sharing this fact. I just switched my feet position when doing back squats. I heard that to develop the outer quad sweep, toes need to be pointed inward - so I'm either pointed straight forward or "slightly" inward. Normal position is slightly outward and it doesn't bother me. The new position really seems to put my knees in a compromised condition!

xcel

phil

stop legg extensions. i use them to warm up my knees for squatting

box squats will blast that area. i have been doing 4 sets of 6-8 box squats followed by 2 sets of 12-15 on the hack squat machine and i cant walk for 3 days. i use a 12 inch box and that is a long ways down for someone 6 foot like myself. i am still experimenting with weight but i got up to 365 on my last set so i think i can get closer to 400 for an all out set. give em a try, you will be happy ya did

can someone explain how a box squat is perfomed?

Feelnfit

What do you mean by warming up? Cant you do light squats to to produce fluids instead of a harmful exercise like leg extensions? Just asking.

i will let my friend who is a pro strongman explain them:
squat on a box....hahahahaha

no seriously 12 inch box take a wide stance around it and squat slowly down till you are sitting on it. Pause 1 sec and lean back to take pressure off thighs. Then explode up as fast as you can from the sitting position. this is the key. explode and push the hips under you as hard and fast as you can

phil

yeah. i would do 2 sets of legg extensions to warm up my knees then go do squats. i will start friday leaving off extensions and doing 2 lite sets of squats as my warmup.

RE: Phil Hernon's comments on leg extensions: Very interesting. Everyone does them, of course, even many pros. I can understand your point completely, however, just thinking about that movement and when in nature you would even have a load on your leg when lifting it straight up, as opposed to squats which take a completely natural motion and simply add a lot of weight to it. The extensions do seem to develop the quads nicely, though, I hate to give them up. If I understood Phil's point correctly, they cause too much quad development relative to no hamstring development at all, creating an imbalance. If that is correct, perhaps doing extensions plus straight leg deads which work the hams would keep the muscle sets in balance. Anyhow, maybe extensions should just be a warm up and that's it, keep the weight low.

Regarding Phil's comment that the muscles will grow as they will, I regret to say that, too, makes intuitive sense. It's too bad, because not having that inside muscle be prominent really alters the muscularity of the leg. Perhaps in time it will become more noticeable, just by upping the frequency of leg workouts, which I plan to do, maybe that will force the ancillary inside muscles to develop because the larger ones are still fatigued.

Regarding box squats, why would those create more leg development than regular squats? Does the presence of the box provide a psychological advantage and allow you to lift more weight? I would really appreciate an explanation on this one. I know what they are and how to do them, I've just never understood the reason to do them.

By the way no one answered my question from before, and I'm sure I should know this by now, but what are "sissy squats"?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear