over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to choose a workout with a physical job

GND123

Banned
Hi all

I work as a construction worker on job sites. I work regular hours 8-9 per day and walk 5+ miles a day, usually carrying 20-60 pounds of tools/equipment/etc) and turn wrenches most of the day and lift heavy pipes and use power tools and what not.

My problem is that while all of this is good exercise, none of it is particularly good for getting bigger. Then by the time I get home, Im usually pretty beat and struggle to get fired up to workout.

I guess my main questions are:

- How many additional calories would you recommend (I know you dont have much to work with, but I dont even really know a ballpark. 200?500? 1000?

- Before I took this job I was doing a upper/lower split 4 days a week. Should I still try to do this, or would you recommend a different workout program?

Thanks

I worked construction for years. It certainly required a lot more calories than a desk job. I needed about 4,000cals/day to SLOWLY add weight.......sitting around 210lbs.

I lifted 5 days a week, typical split. I'm not a volume guy, 9-12 sets, hit it hard and go home to eat and relax for a couple hours before bed and doing it all over again.

MaxOT.

1 muscle group per week (back/chest/legs/arms/delts).
6-9 total worksets.
4-6 reps per set.

u choose your workout and then you cut or add rep, series, rest , sleep etc .. you tailor ur training !!!!!

I was a Concrete Finisher for 18 years. I would train 3 times a week in the early AM before work (5:00 in the morning). Any other time of the day I was too beat to move any real weight.

Slam down as many calories as you can, keep emergency food in your truck in case of overtime, and keep protein bars etc in your cargo pockets so you can eat when the other guys are taking a smoke break.

If I were you I'd train either mon, wed and fri or 2-on, 1-off, 2-on, 2-off for less than 45 minutes each session and start boatloading the desiccated liver.

Once the liver kicks in you should be able to start training six days a week. If you follow the Anabolic Diet you'll have even more energy.

I work construction for 15 plus years, and I compete. My workouts are every other day right now , heavy weights low to high rep range . legs usually the worst with walking and ladders. I pack my cooler full of my food weather I'm cutting or not I'm always prepared. Right now I'm cutting and have low carb day with the heat and sun I still do 20 mins of cardio every other day I'm not lifting.

I have always worked in the oilfield since I was 19 it's prolly one of the hardest, hottest, most dangerous jobs a man can do 12-18hrs a day I'm running the rig now but when I was roughneckin I could eat 4k-5k a day and not gain a lb, but most days you hardly have time to eat. You have to just MAKE time to lift if ur too tired after work then lift before. As far as you diet goes you need to let us know how many macros/day u intake, water, post a day in your shoes because asking if you should eat 500 1000 is pretty hard if we don't know how much you are already eat, and weigh, body comp.
As for ur workout try going before work and doing a body part everyday see how that works out ur time in the gym would be cut down and more time for other things.

If you work a physical job, I think you don't need any high-volume gym workouts. It will just be too much.

Instead of training for volume, aim for training with quality sets with heavy weight. Get in, get out, and grow. Also don't do much cardio.

Use your construction job as your cardio/conditioning exercise. Use the gym to hit heavy weights.

MaxOT.

1 muscle group per week (back/chest/legs/arms/delts).
6-9 total worksets.
4-6 reps per set.

I disagree with the low reps. The man is constantly pounding his joints at work with all the manual labor and heavy lifting he does. He doesn't need to be destroying his joints even more doing low reps. I would recommend higher reps instead.

Heavy Duty or a HIT. No more than 3 times a week. Twice might be better.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131