over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to figure out 1 rep max

billy34

Newbies
Hi all
I know there is a way to figure out your 1 rep max on a lift if you know your 6 rep max for instance. Does anyone know the formula? I have seen it but cannot remember what the formula is. I have not done a single in years. I rarely go below 5 reps. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

No formula

Over the years I've seen way too many variables to have a formula that fits a specific number of reps. 3 guys can bench 315 for six and thier 1 rep max can vary between them anywhere from 350 to 405. Max set for 6 reps = ?

Polquin's book came very close to predicting my max based on various lifts. Do a google search.

PWood

Formulas are bullshit man. In college, I supposedly had like a 550 bench because I could to 405 a certain # of times. No fucking way I could have benched 550. Wanna figure out your one rep max? Pick a weight 50lbs above your normal weight for 6 reps and try it.
And really, unless you are powerlifting, in which case you should be doing one rep maxs, who fucking cares what it is.

I would suggest getting a spotter, or even two, and try to bench whatever you can get 1 time. Kinda takes the guess work out of it.

there is no way to tell your one rep max by simply looking at your 10 rep max, 5 rep max, or even your 3 rep max. everyone's body is different in regarding slow and fast twitch muscle fibers, not to mention other variables such as explosion, torque, and power.

As stated, there are way too many variables to this. What are you going to do? Go t the gym and load the bar with your estimated one rep max and attempt that cold??? I would say not the best idea in the world. So you do a few sets which is already taxing your muscles to warm up and then you attempt a weight only to find you could do that more than once so you bump the weight up again in an attempt to find out what your 1rm is. All this time you are cutting into your strength because you have lifted a total of about 20 reps over your warmup sets and 1rm attempts. So what is your 1rm really??? The formulas used are to give you an idea or put you in the ballpark, that is all. I agree with what was stated above, unless you are a strength athlete or powerlifter why bother. You are leaving your self wide open to injury!!

Good points above... you can easily find a "1 rep max chart" by google search. That chart has always worked pretty well for me. Of course, that doesn't mean it'll work for you. A lot of factors do come into play.

1 rep max

Okay, time for a little math.
Your 10 rep max is APPROX 75% of your 1 rep max.
Have fun with that one - I can hear the calculators being dug outta the drawers :D

Last edited:
Okay, time for a little math.
Your 10 rep max is approx. 75% of your 1 rep max.
Have fun with that one - I can hear the calculators being dug outta the drawers :D
HAHAHAHAHA..........My 1rm is the amount I can sucessfully lift one time.........without getting hurt!! Now If I could only work out what my ten rep max is.....LOL!:p

Those charts never worked for me either.. I'm stronger for reps than singles from not powerlifting all these years.

I agree. Too many times fatigue & incomplete regeneration of ATP among other things make it very difficult to find a true 1RM.
Unless you are in a bench competition, trying to find your 1RM is not only futile, but quite often dangerous.
I don't think I have done a 1RM since I was 25. Don't really care to. Now days I have a shoulder held together by artificial ligaments from an accident. I do not care to repeat that process...

For me it all depends on how my body feels the day i want to see what my one rep max is.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws