over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to fix quad asymmetry?

witefall

Registered
I'm 9+ months out from my first show. Really just noticing that my right v. lateralis is about 1" larger than my left v. lateralis. I really would like to fix this vs. continuing to add mass to both.

1) Is it reasonable to think I can add 1" to my left lateralis and keep the right one the same size?

2) How would you go about training to fix this as I'm not interested in peptide injections at this time :)

Here is my current 4 day split. I can only train on these days for the next 4 months: M, W, F, Sat

Monday: Back Thickness and Biceps: Deadlift 1x3-6, BB Rows 1x8, T-bar 1x8, WG BB drag curl waist to lower chest 1x15-20, EZ Bar Cable Curl 21's 1 set x7low, 7high, 7full.

Wed: Legs and Abs: Front Squat 1x4-8, Sled Press 1x10-15, Hack 1x50 one big drop set, Seated Leg Curls 1x15-20, Kneeling Leg Curls 1x15-20, Smith Standing Calf Raises (just standing flat and then up) 1x12-20, Weighted Abs machine 1x12-20, Knee raises 1xfail (30 or so)

Friday: Back Width and Shoulders: Pull ups 1xfail, High Rows 1x8, Underhand Hammer Machine Rows 1x8-15, Rope Straight Arm Pressdowns 1x20, Smith BN Press (not going all way down and not locking out) 1x8-12, WG upright row 1x8-12, Rear Delt machine 1x20

Saturday: Chest and Triceps: Hammer machine Very WG Bench 1x8-12, Weighted Body Dips 1x12-15, Hammer machine Incline 1x12-20, DB Skulls 1x12-20, Rope Pressdown 1x12-20, Seated DB One Arm Overhead Ext 1x12-20

I've been making steady gains in both body weight and adding weight every week or two with this split. When I hit the top of the rep range, I add a 2 1/2 plate to each side. I haven't stalled out in anything yet, but I did kinda start low with the weights to give myself time to "grow thru the process" if that makes sense.

I am open for suggestions on how to adjust this to bring up my left lateralis. I'm fine keeping my right lateralis the same size for this show, if this is possible. Oddly, I've never noticed a strength difference b/w the two. I also don't see any size difference b/w left and right v. medialis or hamstrings.

I was considering keeping the front squat the same, but then doing the sled press and Hack with just the left leg only, or maybe just the sled with the left leg only and switching to a smith machine left leg lunge only?

Anyone patient enough to read thru this and make a suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

a picture is worth a 1000 words man

so.......in other words.....

post a fuggin pic

:p

i mean......you WONT get perfect symetry
we need to see

If your knee can take it one-legged leg presses work well....if your gym has a horizontal leg press machine (I hate machines too, but sometimes they're better for isolation as you know) performing those one-legged may help also. Or, you can do a smith-machine lunge with your weak quad forward and squeeze the everlasting SHIT out of the contraction. You'll know when you hit the right foot position by the feel. I'm working on the same thing myself.

You are likely focusing on making the smaller leg work hard on postive contractions, but I'm betting the larger leg is doing most of work on your negatives. Also, have someone watch your hips when you squat, make sure are not shifting towards the stronger leg at any point.

a picture is worth a 1000 words man

so.......in other words.....

post a fuggin pic

:p

i mean......you WONT get perfect symetry
we need to see

You are right. I'll post one up later this evening when I get home. Should have put it in to start. Thanks

You are likely focusing on making the smaller leg work hard on postive contractions, but I'm betting the larger leg is doing most of work on your negatives. Also, have someone watch your hips when you squat, make sure are not shifting towards the stronger leg at any point.

It took me a few reads thru, but I see the logic in your post. I'm going to video my self doing front squats and see what my hips look like. That would explain the hypertrophy difference but without a noticable stregnth difference. Thanks. If I am doing that, I've probably been doing it with clean and jerks, snatch, and all the other related movements too.

Ok, here are some pics from today. I also measured my height and weight this afternoon. I'm exactly 5'8" and 208.5 lbs. LOL. I thought I was 5'9" but the last time I had height taken was at 18 y/o. I'm in late 30's. I've gained about 4 pounds of muscle and lost a couple of pounds of fat since switching to BB training. I'm still in a 32" waist but it's a lot looser than usual. I may have to drop down to a 30" waist size.

Last edited:
Quads look thick bro.

I want to bump this for you as I would like to read the advice that you will get.

Chip

I have the same problem, a little more than you, made one leg press or leg extension.
If you have a leg shorter than the other i can play.
It can be a nerf who's irritaded and need a treatement by a therapist. It can help very much.

Switch to unilateral quad training, step ups, split squats, lunges etc

Are you right or left handed?
Are you regular or goofy footed ( do you naturally kick a with ball with your right or left foot)?

well......

first off.......nice fuckin sweep!!!

second........you gotta get leaner, too see whats gonna happen
and what its gonna look like on stage

i wouldnt even worry about it
as its not that bad at all........but there IS some differences

and honestly.......i dont think there is anything you can do
training wise.....as your legs are already VERY developed
and have already takin there shape

all-in-all.......no worries.......get leaner........go from there

:cool:

well......

first off.......nice fuckin sweep!!!

second........you gotta get leaner, too see whats gonna happen
and what its gonna look like on stage

i wouldnt even worry about it
as its not that bad at all........but there IS some differences

and honestly.......i dont think there is anything you can do
training wise.....as your legs are already VERY developed
and have already takin there shape

all-in-all.......no worries.......get leaner........go from there

:cool:

Your response does ease my mind a bit. I've been very worried ever since I noticed the difference that when I did drop the water and fat, that I would look goofy. I'm really not very fat, but I am holding a lot of water right now. If I lived in a country legal to do so, I probably would be just a couple of weeks into very first GH run 3.3iu on training days only (4) and Test 375mg wk.

I think Kaladyrn is right about "how" it happened. I come from a background of C&J, Snatch, Front Squats, and all the other training exercises of weightlifting and I think I may have been putting more of the weight on my right leg when catching the bar. So I am going to video myself just to see what I'm doing so I can at least stop it from continuing.

So you think I should scrap the "bulking" idea and just get leaner? Let me chew on it a while. To be honest, I thought I was lean for "offseason" but guess not. Thanks for revisiting my post and giving me your opinion. Appreciated!

Also thank you to Slyder, Kaladryn, Chipper, Iron, Champs and Sisyphus for your comments. Appreciate you.

Your response does ease my mind a bit. I've been very worried ever since I noticed the difference that when I did drop the water and fat, that I would look goofy. I'm really not very fat, but I am holding a lot of water right now. If I lived in a country legal to do so, I probably would be just a couple of weeks into very first GH run 3.3iu on training days only (4) and Test 375mg wk.

I think Kaladyrn is right about "how" it happened. I come from a background of C&J, Snatch, Front Squats, and all the other training exercises of weightlifting and I think I may have been putting more of the weight on my right leg when catching the bar. So I am going to video myself just to see what I'm doing so I can at least stop it from continuing.

So you think I should scrap the "bulking" idea and just get leaner? Let me chew on it a while. To be honest, I thought I was lean for "offseason" but guess not. Thanks for revisiting my post and giving me your opinion. Appreciated!

Also thank you to Slyder, Kaladryn, Chipper, Iron, Champs and Sisyphus for your comments. Appreciate you.

i mean.......stick with the plan.........the show

keep doing what your doing, bulking or whatever for another few months

then.......GET LEANER (for the show) and go from there

then re-access the way it looks when your lean

which imo........isnt bad at all....mine is also slightly diff left to right

If its actually that significant and not all in your mind. Practice one legged exercises and do an extra set or two for the smaller one

i mean.......stick with the plan.........the show

keep doing what your doing, bulking or whatever for another few months

then.......GET LEANER (for the show) and go from there

then re-access the way it looks when your lean

which imo........isnt bad at all....mine is also slightly diff left to right

Gotcha!

Thanks again for your eval.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views