over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to Increase your bench press.

XtremeMuscle!

Registered
To make things quite simple: I'm frustrated with my Bench. I mean, I've been hitting it consistently for the last 7-years and only went from 250-405. I know everyone has different levels of strength depending upon genetics, so maybe I'm hitting my genetic potential? For the last 2 years I've been fluctuation from 380 - 400+ . Last year I hit a solid 405. After another year ( to current) I'm still struggling with 400??

My stats

Gear: Cycling is cycling. I don't rely on gear primarily for building strength. At my age I use more for well-being and low t-levels. I swear I just feel better being on...Strip the gear and I've only ever dropped about 20-30 ibs in my overall 1rms.

Programming. I train bench about 2 x every week. I've used smolov Jr, West side, Ed Coan's bench program over the years. I'm currently using a more RTS ( Mike Thursherer) type program, but with much less frequency. Gotta love his concept of "RPE" and all, right.

Body comp) Mesomorph / endo. In my mid 40's

Summary) Not looking for some advice on gear, but anyone that has some suggestions on training . As a side note, I'm thinking I push things too hard as I have trouble leaving reps in " the tank". Very frustrated.

Last edited:
We really need more info on your bench routine. I competed in PL for 22 years. What are your total sets/reps on an average bench day. As we age I never benched more than once per week. Personally I think a little bit of less is more could help you. I was obsessed with my bench for my whole life. I ended up with injury after injury because of my obsession and never stepped back from it. Old school we'd drop down to 65-70% of 1 rep max and slowly build back up over a period of months. Maybe you're doing that already.

Matt Wenning says hit the triceps super hard and bench will go up. He has some good videos on youtube

I never really was too obsessed with how much I benched, but I know guys that compete in powerlifting have a great number of methods in their arsenal. One thing that I never tried much was concentrating on the weak spot in the movement. For most guys this is the bottom of the press where you touch your chest. You can train just the bottom 1/2 of the movement, not bringing the bar up more than that. Some guys will train the upper part of the press by having a thick stack of wood blocks on their chest and coming down on top of that. Maybe graybass could speak about that. Bands are another thing that will work the top part of the motion harder.

switch over to dumbells for a bit and strengthen up those stabilizers. its always a easy guaranteed way to up your bench. believe it or not you don't have to be doing forced reps or %100 everyday either to get stronger. the gym is your stimulus and anything can be over stimulated so enjoy your lounge time and recoupe. then get into some good ol german volume training

We really need more info on your bench routine. I competed in PL for 22 years. What are your total sets/reps on an average bench day. As we age I never benched more than once per week. Personally I think a little bit of less is more could help you. I was obsessed with my bench for my whole life. I ended up with injury after injury because of my obsession and never stepped back from it. Old school we'd drop down to 65-70% of 1 rep max and slowly build back up over a period of months. Maybe you're doing that already.
For the time being I've devised my own training protocol rather than following a cookie - cutter type deal. I think, at this stage I need to start programming holistically, by instinct. And the importance between a " training max" and " competition max" type of set. So here is my regimen:

Bench Cycle layout:

7 Week cycle.

Objective : Bring my bench past 405

Week 1. Competition Bench: 225x6 , 255x6,275x6, 260x6, 260x6. ( 5th set only 1-rep left in the tank).
Close-grip 225x 6 x 4sets ( straight sets / 1-2 reps left in tank on 4th set)

2nd Bench day Bench Incline : 225x7, 225X7, 245x7.
Bent rows: 120x8x 5 sets.

Week 2. Competition Bench: 225x5, 260x5, 285x5, 270x5, 270x5, 270x5, 270x5.
Close-grip: 230x5 x5 sets ...reaching fatigue. ( volume focused week)
*** no second bench day.

Workout 2 : 6 sets of seated rows around 8 reps , 3 reps left in tank until final set of "o", Addition ; couple sets of hammer curls

Week 3. Competition Bench 235x4, 275x4, 295x4,285x4,285x4, 285x4 ( 1-2 reps left after this last set)
Close-grip 225x4, 275x4, 275x4

2nd bench day: Incline Bench 135x5,185x5,225x5,225x5, 225x5 ( fatigued out on last set)

_____ Above is where I'm at on this current bench routine____

Protocol for next 4 weeks

Week 4. ( Intensity Phase) Competition bench, 5 sets of 5 working up to 315 -320 on my top set, then taking off 10 -15 ibs and setting out til fatigue sets in .
Close-grip ( similar protocol- lighter weights

Week 5. (intensity phase ) Competiton Bench , 6 sets of 4, around 330-340 for a top set, then working down to fatigue out.
Close -grip ( same protocol
workout 2 Inclines or floor presses , Similar rep range but way lighter weights.

Week 6 ( Taper but Intesity) Competition Bench : 3 sets of 3 350-360

week 7 (test week) Doubles at around 395-400

I liked the answers from GrayBass because there seems to be similarities in both of our experiences, yet other replies have been noted and highly appreciated. Thanks brothas! Love the help.....

Matt Wenning says hit the triceps super hard and bench will go up. He has some good videos on youtube
Thanks Brother, yea he does have some good stuff. His records speak for themselves, right. Good looking out....

My bench is shit, I always have pain in my shoulder, the only time I improve was when I made a program of train 3 times a week.

I competed in over 15 bench meets in a 10 year span....I learned that whatever I could bench for 5 reps was about 85% of a Max give or take a few pounds....for example when I benched 315 3x5 I could do a paused single with 365 which was 87%...also a solid triple is about 90% of a Max....when I could get 365 for a triple I was able to get 405 for one....just a guide....I just turned 60 and was able to get 265 2x3 and benched 300 at a meet....265 is a bit under 90%.......

Bar path is one of the secrets to an elite bench. Push towards your face instead of straight up, it will increase leverage and maximize efficiency.

This is the bible of benching, in my opinion, the most technical of the big 3 lifts:

I competed in over 15 bench meets in a 10 year span....I learned that whatever I could bench for 5 reps was about 85% of a Max give or take a few pounds....for example when I benched 315 3x5 I could do a paused single with 365 which was 87%...also a solid triple is about 90% of a Max....when I could get 365 for a triple I was able to get 405 for one....just a guide....I just turned 60 and was able to get 265 2x3 and benched 300 at a meet....265 is a bit under 90%.......
Hey man thanks for that. " I just turned '60' - wth? I have some respect going out for you. Honor to have you're reply. Peace my friend.. keep pumping....

Bar path is one of the secrets to an elite bench. Push towards your face instead of straight up, it will increase leverage and maximize efficiency.

This is the bible of benching, in my opinion, the most technical of the big 3 lifts:

Sweet. I read part of it. Looks solid. Gonna read it all the way....

I've decided to give my son a christmas present by hooking him up with some online coaching with RTS. I think we both benefit from it if he decides to share with papa....right...

How much do you weigh?
Is that your raw bench max or with a bench shirt?
Do you ever take a week or 2 off from training?
How's your technique look?
Are you an explosive bencher or slow and steady?
Where does your bench press stall when you fail at an attempt?
Are you into pure powerlifting or do you still try to look good too?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws