YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to make vegan protein powder taste... tolerable?!?!

Phidias

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Can't digest casein anymore, only whey hydro in SMALL doses, so out of convenience, instead of eating more solid foods, I figured lately I'd give a vegan blend a try.

It being a mix of pea isolate, brown rice concentrate and hemp, it contains all EAA'S (no deficiency in either methionine/cysteine or lysine), so the nutritional value is optimal... which was my first concern.

Now... the taste... :eek::mad::naughty::(

Just one scoop of that, well... sand, mixed in either water, almond milk, fruit juice or even soya yogurt with honey is just HORRENDOUS!!! Honestly never ate/drank something so disgusting... no matter how hungry you are, it will curb your appetite in seconds... lol... :eek:

Does anyone have a way to make it... not good, it's impossible :eek::p, but just bearable?

Can't digest casein anymore, only whey hydro in SMALL doses, so out of convenience, instead of eating more solid foods, I figured lately I'd give a vegan blend a try.

It being a mix of pea isolate, brown rice concentrate and hemp, it contains all EAA'S (no deficiency in either methionine/cysteine or lysine), so the nutritional value is optimal... which was my first concern.

Now... the taste... :eek::mad::naughty::(

Just one scoop of that, well... sand, mixed in either water, almond milk, fruit juice or even soya yogurt with honey is just HORRENDOUS!!! Honestly never ate/drank something so disgusting... no matter how hungry you are, it will curb your appetite in seconds... lol... :eek:

Does anyone have a way to make it... not good, it's impossible :eek::p, but just bearable?

I use this daily: Buy Vegan Blend Protein Powder | Myprotein.com

Add a scoop of Amazing Greens Chocolate and its even better.

I think we get warrior blends at my house. Usually my girlfriend orders it. I'll check the brand. It's delicious.

Maybe try mixing your stuff with a banana and berries in the blender.

Not really any way! lol stuff is nasty

if calories don't matter...i would certainly use a blender, good amount of ice, peanut butter, oats and maybe some frozen fruits as well. if it's still terrible, might want to switch powders.

Step 1: throw Vegan protein powder in the trash.

Step 2: stop using vegan protein powder

Step 3: quit vegan life style and go paleo

My daughter is a vegetarian who is allergic to dairy. With the exception of consuming eggs, that makes her almost vegan by default.

To make sure she's getting enough protein, particularly after she became involved in sports, I have played around with various formulations and blends from True Nutrition. She finally liked the last one I ordered, which had portions of pea, rice, pumpkin, hemp and cranberry proteins along with, what was finally the game-changer, egg protein.

You didn't mention having a problem digesting egg protein, so I would consider it in whole or as part of a blend. (I recognize that it's not vegan, but I did not get the impression that you were trying to live a vegan lifestyle, only that you were using it in lieu of whey and casein.)

I started using powdered peanut butter....

it has a very strong PB taste and smell....and I found you don't need
very much to change the flavor of anything...

I started using powdered peanut butter....

it has a very strong PB taste and smell....and I found you don't need
very much to change the flavor of anything...

Well that sounds like something I could use for alot of the crap I eat. Where do you buy it?

Beet root powder is a nice add on to a veggie and non veggie protein blend

they carry it everywhere....

There are some things in life I think we will never know the answer... this I believe is one of them :D

In all seriousness they taste bad no matter what you add to them. If you don't mind using flavouring products use one of those as you need it to be very concentrated. You could try another brand but these powders should taste like crap. If one tastes amazing you know it's not what it is supposed to be. I have tried various sources and they were all bad.

Myprotein is a good brand though. Their pea isolate was disgusting and I ended up throwing it away. I did start getting used to it but I have normal whey so it wasn't like I had to put up with it.

I would recomend adding in raw cacao powder as that will mask the taste and also provides many health benefits (and extra protein). Maybe a little Cranberry/Raspberry syrup on top as the French call it ;):D

The best way to enhance vegan protein powder is to throw it in the trash

I use this daily: Buy Vegan Blend Protein Powder | Myprotein.com

Add a scoop of Amazing Greens Chocolate and its even better.

That's the one I have (neutral taste without any sweeteners). Never tried Amazing Greens, but I guess by "even better" you meant even nastier, so I'm not really in a hurry to test/taste it... lol :eek::p

There are some things in life I think we will never know the answer... this I believe is one of them :D

In all seriousness they taste bad no matter what you add to them. If you don't mind using flavouring products use one of those as you need it to be very concentrated. You could try another brand but these powders should taste like crap. If one tastes amazing you know it's not what it is supposed to be. I have tried various sources and they were all bad.

Myprotein is a good brand though. Their pea isolate was disgusting and I ended up throwing it away. I did start getting used to it but I have normal whey so it wasn't like I had to put up with it.

I would recomend adding in raw cacao powder as that will mask the taste and also provides many health benefits (and extra protein). Maybe a little Cranberry/Raspberry syrup on top as the French call it ;):D

So Brits don't use the term "syrup"? What's the English for that liquid sugary thing then? :p;)

Before following most people's advice and throw it away, I gave my vegan blend a second chance yesterday... :D

Used only HALF a scoop and did my best to dilute as much as I could... mixed it in a large bowl with 1 1/2 scoop of stawberry flavored whey hydro, 300g of soya yogurt, 200g of blueberry compote, 1 banana, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 tbspoon of coconut oil, and fnally poured some cinnamon on top of it.

Now keep in mind this recipee is usually pretty good WITHOUT the vegan protein... let me tell you only half a scoop absolutely RUINED it!!! :eek:

I'm really not far to give up, but I'll follow the advice Mini Truck gave me and try another brand before saying a final no-no to veggie powders. Don't think the brand he told me about is a sponsor here, so won't name it, but it should taste better... can't be worse anyway!! :p:)

You didn't mention having a problem digesting egg protein, so I would consider it in whole or as part of a blend. (I recognize that it's not vegan, but I did not get the impression that you were trying to live a vegan lifestyle, only that you were using it in lieu of whey and casein.)

You red it right! :) Though, as I'm getting older and caring much more about my health than I used to at the beginning of my BB journey, I'm trying to avoid meat as much as possible (and fish for seas are so polluted, mainly with heavy metals but not only).

But without meat, fish and dairy except whey hydro, you're actually left with very little choice... still eating a lot of eggs (no issue digesting them), but I've yet to find an egg powder (white or whole) that digests just as fine... liquid egg whites are ok, but only cooked... in their liquid form they stay on my stomach for hours... :eek:

How have your daughter's progresses been since she fully switched (except for eggs) to a vegan lifestyle? Very interested in hearing testimonies... :)

Last edited:
I got used to the nasty taste but I mix it anyways with organic spinach, organic strawberries, organic blueberries, organic raspberries plus one organic banana, cacao, maca, chia seeds, etc. It comes out not "that" bad. And I mentioned "organic" for the fruit because artificial shit besides being depleted of nutrients it usually taste like crap. Like if they were put on water for a day or two. Organic brings more flavor to the mix.

add 2 packets of aspartame, i do this to all my shakes protein, carb, anything, it makes them taste AMAZING. Hell i even add it to drinks like tea, coke zero, etc.

i am sure it'll make the vegan stuff tolerable

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner