over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to stop your gf from smoking?

L

littlemack

Not your typical question here, but I've been dating this really great girl for the past year. She's just been a really wonderful thing for my soul. The only trouble is that she's a smoker. Not like it was a surprise or anything, and its something that I can tolerate. She doesn't smoke inside the house and is always really respectful around me. We've sort of come to a point in our relationship, though, where I'd like for her to stop b/c I love this girl and I just want her to be around for a very long time. I don't know if that's selfish or not. ha.
Anyway, she has tried to quit before and has really had a tough time. She smokes about a pack every 2 days and also some herb a couple of times a day. The trouble is, if she stops smoking cigs then she just starts smoking reefer to compensate or vice verse. Let me tell you folks. Anyone who says weed is not addictive is just plain wrong. She's tried to get some help and go to support groups weekly (AA, NA, etc..). She's tried the patch and nicorettes but that shit makes her really dizzy and she can't stand it. She says its much worse than actual cigarettes. Exboyfriends got her hooked on all this shit and she just can't stop. I really love this girl and I've always said that this is something she needs to work out on her own and that I probably can't do much to help. I'm prepared to live with that if that's the best way to go. I've just been having these thoughts lately about maybe having to take care of her one day if she has lung cancer or something and it just frightens the shit out of me. I hear that's a really aweful way to die and I don't want to see that happen to her. I guess I should try to be supportive, but she has to have the initiative to seek help. I don't know. Any thoughts? She's been living this way for probably 4-5 years.
Thanks!

RIMONABANT

my gf is going to try RIMONABANT a new research drug from IBE a sponsor here. from the research i have done on it. it helps with lots of addictions, main function is to block THC receptors which cause hunger,

best of luck, but the only people who I've known personally to kick the habit did it cold turkey. mind over matter.

Does she want to quit? Quitting is tough! I quit cold turkey 2 years ago, the withdrawal symptoms sucked!! But the good news is that the longer you go without it, the easier it gets. After about 4 months I was so grossed out by cigarettes that there was NO way I'd ever be a smoker again.

a few things you can try,

Ear Acupuncture, for some folks it works well and for some it doesn't but worth a shot.

Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) The light energy of the laser is absorbed by skin and cells by stimulation of tenden points. It triggers your body to go into a constant release of endorphins, which makes your body feel like it has just had a cigarette. In most cases folks only need one treatment. The procedure only takes about 20mins.

An old fashion trick, get a empty jar of mayonaise, FILL it with cigarette buds from around the house. Then add some water to it. Let it sit outside in the sun for about two days and then bring back in and store in a dark place. Now every time she wants a cigarette, she pulls out the jar and opens it up and takes a big WIFF of that juicy smell. hahahah gaurenteed to knock out the craving for a little while. The more she does it the less she'll want it.

good luck bro.

Thanks guys. Appreciate all of the advice. She does want to quit, but this has been a crutch for her anxiety issues. So its been especially hard for her to stop.
Thank you all.

Marshall is right on the money here. If she WANTS to she will.

I've been there, done that (smoked cigarettes from age 13-33). Decided one day I was done and that was it. Gave the rest of my pack away and I've never bought another one. That was 3 years ago.

Let her figure it out. You talking about it all the time won't make her stop any faster, and if by chance she tries to make you happy and she does stop......she'll be sneaking smokes behind your back. I'm thinking that's probably not what you want either.

bottom line is this... she will quit when she wants to for herself. It wont happen any other way. One day she will wake up and say to herself... I am done. And then you will enjoy a smokless life with her. As someone else said and from my own experience. The cold turkey way is always best.

Bro, nicoteine withdrawal only last a few days but the security and percieved control of habit are what is soothing the anxiety. You see anxiety is fear. Control eases fear and so does repeating the known(a safety zone) which you can control. But truth is: just by having to try to control something- it controls you by making you have to try to control it- in this case to ease anxiety. Get another healthier habit or become conscious(aware and able to choose not to do it). Also, cafiene contributes to anxiety greatly in most and I see alot of smokers are also caffiene addicts- this is a catch 22! One is anxious so one smokes- then that calms them and they are tired from the stress of being anxious- so to wake up they drink caffiene- this causes more anxiety so they smoke- and so on and so forth.
My advice is to slowly ween off the caffiene before trying to quit and to start a new healthier habit. It takes approx. 30 days to develope a true habit so I say: star building shit w/ popsicle sticks or some other female craft crap about 1 week into weaning off smoking in a 30 day ween off period and then that 1st week that you are completely off cigarettes- every time you get the craving really delve into the crafting. This would have the added benefit of developing a sense of accomplishment also and if she actually enjoys only the doing of the crafting - it'll actually build true self esteem. Non result driven hobbies that people actually enjoy regardless of the results(accomplishment) build true self esteem. My .02 worth.

Sound's like she wants to quit. I would just say take baby step's. Occupy her smoking time, whenever she get the urge to smoke jump in and do something to make her change her pattern, give some thing else to put in her mouth! Hehehehe.. Jk'ding... If she has a real addictive personality, support group could really help.

The physical effects of nicotine usually subside in a week or two but the psychological effects may last a long time. Smokers who have been smoke-free for years still claim to occasionally desire a cigarette. Particularly after eating or when drinking alcohol. She first needs to remedy the root of these vices by attacking the anxiety. The reason I say this is because you mentioned that if she quits smoking, she smokes grass, and probably if not grass, she'd eat food, if not food, drink alcohol, etc., etc.

I'm guessing that the ongoing anxiety could be just as detrimental to her health as the smoking.

She should consider talking to her doc. If not her doc, someone who can teach her how to deal with her anxiety in a more healthy way. That's not to say that once you have the anxiety under control, that the vices will just disappear. But that's where I would start. It's possible that if you try to treat these "addictions" before attacking the root of the problem, you increase likelihood of her continuing to self-medicate or relapse.

I say attack the anxiety.

In the words of Rocky III from MM....try hypontherapy. Sorry I just had to say it.

Seriously, my girl didn't quit either until she found out she was pregnant!

Like Marshall said, mind of matter.

OuchThatHurts said:
Smokers who have been smoke-free for years still claim to occasionally desire a cigarette. Particularly after eating or when drinking alcohol.
When I first quit I use to DREAM about smoking. Literally.....at night when I would be asleep. I felt so guilty in my dream that I wouldn't smoke then either. lol I've been a non-smoker for 3 years this month and do still want the cigarette while out drinking - but no other time. She needs to find something to do with her hands (no comments from the peanut gallery here! - lol). Something that involves her hands AND her brain. Gardening is an awesome outlet for stress - cooking is another. Whatever hobby she can find to help her do this - it will help her immensly (sp)!

ScorpioGirl said:
When I first quit I use to DREAM about smoking. Literally.....at night when I would be asleep. I felt so guilty in my dream that I wouldn't smoke then either. lol I've been a non-smoker for 3 years this month and do still want the cigarette while out drinking - but no other time. She needs to find something to do with her hands (no comments from the peanut gallery here! - lol). Something that involves her hands AND her brain. Gardening is an awesome outlet for stress - cooking is another. Whatever hobby she can find to help her do this - it will help her immensly (sp)!
I hear ya. When I was younger, my mother and father would always drink coffee and smoke a cigarette after family dinner. My father (12 years smoke-free after heart attack) will freely admit that still after eating dinner and drinking coffee he craves a cigarette... 12 years later!

I never minded smokers or smoking even though I don't smoke. From what I've noticed among my smoking friends is that they lose all willpower when around others who are smoking - combine that with alcohol and you have a near occasion to smoke no doubt.

I also agree with you that I believe it to be largely nervous habit. With a cigarette, you can be lighting, puffing, and ashing when otherwise one is forced to do what I do... stand there and play with myself.:D

I mean, bite my nails... yeah... that's what I meant.

I smoked for a few years and one day decided to quitt and that was it. Cold turkey with strong willpower and good support from the people around her and she will be fine.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131