over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to tell if you are absorbing your food well

mountaindog1

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
My favorite expression is "you are what you eat has eaten". I heard another one from Phil H that I thought was great. He said "you are what you absorb".

So how can you tell if you absorb food well?

Bowel transit time is a great way to tell.

1) Buy some charcoal caps.
2) Take between 5 and 10 grams on an empty stomach.
3) When you see a darkened stool, figure out how many hours it has been since you took the charcoal.

Interpreting results
If it was less than 12 hours, you are probably not absorbing everything optimally.

If it was 12-24 hours, you are right on the money.

If it was greater than 24 hours, than you have food sitting in your colon too long which can lead to major issues (food gets absorbed back into your bloodstream).

John-Any way to fix #1 or #3 if you find out you are below 12 hrs or above 24?

wow...

My favorite expression is "you are what you eat has eaten". I heard another one from Phil H that I thought was great. He said "you are what you absorb".

3) When you see a darkened stool, figure out how many hours it has been since you took the charcoal.

Interpreting results
If it was less than 12 hours, you are probably not absorbing everything optimally.

If it was greater than 24 hours, than you have food sitting in your colon too long which can lead to major issues (food gets absorbed back into your bloodstream).

REALLY?! That's pretty cool actually MD... thanks... the charcoal is very cheap so this could be a great test for everyone to try.

If you're able to make the time, what do you think about sharing some idea's/ways to help food absorption if they have a bad test result?

Thanks man, good stuff!

Interpreting results

dang, good post john! :headbang:

We did an expirament like this in one of my nutrition classes in chiro school.Corn works also....

John-Any way to fix #1 or #3 if you find out you are below 12 hrs or above 24?

yea..lots of ways to fix. There are the simple ways like increasing fiber from fruits and veggies, and drinking more water, but I would like to provide a much more detailed answer, as I have alot of thoughts on this subject.

I think digestive support is highly underrated in our arsenals. In fact, I would even go as far as saying much of the ulcerative colitus, IBS, and other digestive maladies bodybuilders seem to have alot of, is due to pounding tons of food with no plan for how they are going to absorb it all.

More to come later on foods that I like, and other things....

JM

sometimes the simplest is the best.
great post :headbang:

what aids would u take to help both no. 1 and 3 options however?

i understand extra fibre would help 3 but 1?

I think I've actually done this test without being aware of it. Then again, are Oreos as valid as charcoal caps for this?

;)

If you have ideas I NEED to know...

John, I been looking for ways around this and this is whats been holding me back the last few years is improper digestion leaving me too uncomfortable to even eat at most times....Ive mentioned I have had some bowels removed as well as my small intestine, so food goes right through me. Going to the can 5-10 times a day is not uncommon for me. Just yesterday I spent over $100 of some digestive enzymes and probiotics...Ive yet to find one thats helped me out much.

Following your diet you had me on there a year ago was ok but took its toll eventually.

I'd give my left nut to find a way around this its very frustrating. Every time I diet for a contest I am bloated, gassy and in pain most of the day but I just deal with it. Off season I find myself having to eat junk food sometimes just to get calories in me because I miss meals because Im afraid to eat and frustrated.

If I didnt love bodybuilding as much as I do I would have given up a while ago.

Will do! Thanks MD!

I just swallow one of those little blinking plastic LED balls from Walmart. It really shows up well when the bathroom lights are out... (Just kidding, LOL!)

Great Post! I've always wondered about this as I always wondered if my body gets all it needs out of food or not. But wouldn't there be too many factors that would throw this off. Like how fast your metabolism is and what time of the day you eat what you eat and what it is you eat and when your body is needing whatever it is, and how many meals you get in... Etc etc?

I guess I feel my body processes stuff way too fast. I'm an ectomorph and need a million meals a day or my weight just plummits.

yea..lots of ways to fix. There are the simple ways like increasing fiber from fruits and veggies, and drinking more water, but I would like to provide a much more detailed answer, as I have alot of thoughts on this subject.

I think digestive support is highly underrated in our arsenals. In fact, I would even go as far as saying much of the ulcerative colitus, IBS, and other digestive maladies bodybuilders seem to have alot of, is due to pounding tons of food with no plan for how they are going to absorb it all.

More to come later on foods that I like, and other things....

JM

Excellent thread John.
I have always talked about buidling muscle is 70% of the game after Genetics and have always believed in eating for functional digestion and absorption.
Love to hear your thoughts and methods more.
I am going to try the method posted above as I have some solaray charcol caps that I use once in a while when "detoxing".
**broken link removed**

I think I've actually done this test without being aware of it. Then again, are Oreos as valid as charcoal caps for this?

Oh yeah! A whole bag of peanut butter oreo cookies on a refeed day has that effect :p :eek:

betaine hydrochloride is some thing that i use to aid in digestion.

Digestive Aids: Hydrochloric Acid

i got interested in this after reading some of John Parrillo's stuff many years ago. you need enough enzymes to digest the amount of food you are eating which can be difficult to do especially in a bulking phase.

We did an expirament like this in one of my nutrition classes in chiro school.Corn works also....

Yeah but corn has this amazing ability to come out in whole pieces even though you damn well know you chewed them well when you swallowed! ;)

Corn, I dont remember eating any corn.....hehe
Fat Bastard

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads