over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How We Get Fat, by Lyle McDonald

Here is a great 2 part blog entry by James Krieger explaining this very topic:

Yup, there's can be lowering of energy expenditure, and there may be even significant lowering according to some data, but nothing like all these claims of people only requiring 300 or 1000 calories per day, sitting at 200 or 250lbs unable to lose weight. Only leaves one explanation: lies, whether conscious or unconscious. Like Lyle always says, self reporting of food intake is notoriously unreliable.

Same goes for those individuals claiming to be literally unable to gain weight despite massive food intakes.

A few snickers bars under the pillow munched on nightly doesn't count as "food".:D

Physical Activity and Weight Regain
by James Krieger

In last week’s issue of Weightology Weekly, I told you how energy expenditure decreases with weight loss. I also told you how the decrease is greater than what you would expect based on the weight loss alone. In other words, the decrease is energy expenditure is not just due to the fact you have less weight to move around. It’s also due to an overall decrease in activity, as well as an increase in efficiency (you burn less calories for the same movement). There is also a decrease in your metabolic rate, but it’s not nearly as impactful on your energy expenditure as the decrease in activity.

In that article, I also mentioned how previous research has shown that the decrease in energy expenditure is related to the amount of weight that is subsequently regained. Another study out of Wake Forest University supports these findings. Weight regain is related to decreases in physical ... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008] - PubMed result

The Study

In this study, 41 women were randomly assigned to one of three groups:

• Diet Only
  • Diet + Low Intensity Exercise
  • Diet + High Intensity Exercise

Each intervention was designed to produce a 400 calorie per day energy deficit. In the diet group, this deficit came purely from a decrease in food intake. In the other groups, the deficit came from a combination of a decrease in food intake and exercise. Most of the food was provided for the subjects, and the subjects met weekly with a dietitian to verify compliance with the diet. The exercise involved 55-minute treadmill sessions for the low-intensity group and 30 minute treadmill sessions for the high-intensity group; exercise was performed 3 days per week. The intervention lasted 20 weeks. Body composition, resting metabolic rate (RMR), and self-reported physical activity were recorded before and after the intervention. Also, energy expenditure from physical activity was estimated before the intervention, as well as during the final week of the intervention, using a triaxial accelerometer (a device that measures up-and-down, forward-and-backward, and side-to-side movement). The accelerometer was about the size of a pager and was worn by clipping to the waist. Subjects were instructed to maintain their regular physical activity and to wear the monitor at all times for 5-7 days, except for while bathing or sleeping. They wore the monitor an average of 6.5 days during the baseline measurement, and 5.6 days at the end of the intervention. During the last week, the exercising women did 3 exercise sessions; the energy expenditure from these sessions was estimated from readings provided by the treadmill, and were subtracted from each woman’s individual physical activity energy expenditure as determiend by the accelerometer. Thus, physical activity energy expenditure in this study represented only calories burned outside of the scheduled exercise sessions.

Of the 41 women, 34 returned for follow-up visits at 6 and 12 months. Weight was determined at these follow-up visits. The researchers then looked to see if there were any relationships between changes in physical activity energy expenditure and RMR during the 20-week intervention, and subsequent weight regain at 6 and 12 months.

Regain Results

Decreases in body weight, and improvements in body composition, were similar among all the groups during the 20-week intervention. RMR and physical activity energy expenditure also decreased in all the groups over the 20 weeks. RMR decreased on average by 7% or 108 calories per day. 27 of the 34 women experienced a decrease in RMR; the changes were quite variable, ranging from a decrease of 346 calories to an increase of 180 calories per day. However, RMR relative to lean mass remained unchanged, indicating that the drop in RMR was mostly due to a drop in body weight.

Physical activity energy expenditure decreased by an average of 26% or 162 calories per day. The change was quite variable, ranging from a decrease of 553 calories to an increase of 117 calories per day. 31 of the 34 women experienced a decrease in physical activity energy expenditure. Physical activity relative to body weight also decreased, indicating that the decrease in energy expenditure was not just due to weight loss; it was due to a decrease in overall movment.

Among all the women, the average weight regain at 6 months was 6.4 pounds. Again, regain was variable, ranging from a loss of 6.8 pounds to a gain of 20 pounds. 26 of the 34 women regained at least some weight. A total of 31.5% of the weight lost during the intervention was regained by 6 months. At 12 months, the average weight regain was 11.4 pounds, ranging from a loss of 5 pounds to a regain of nearly 48 pounds. 28 of the 34 women regained some weight at 12 months. On average, 51.4% of the weight was regained. The amount of weight regained at 6 and 12 months was not related to the amount of weight lost.

Weight regain at the end of 6 months was inversely related to changes in physical activity energy expenditure, with a correlation of -0.52 (where 1 is a perfect correlation and 0 means no correlation). Weight regain at the end of 12 months was also related to changes in physical activity energy expenditure, although less so (a correlation of -0.40). These results indicated that women who had the greatest decreases in physical activity after 20 weeks of weight loss tended to have the greatest amount of weight regained at 6 and 12 months after the weight loss program. Similar results were observed when physical activity was corrected for body weight. Weight regain was not related to decreases in RMR or self-reported changes in self-reported physical activity.

Activity Throughout the Day Keeps the Regain Away

This study showed two things. First, it showed that physical activity, outside of a structured exercise program, decreases with weight loss, and this decrease is greater than what can be explained by the weight loss alone. This is in agreement with the study I talked about last week. Second, it showed that the decrease in physical activity predicted the amount of weight regained over 6 and 12 months. This is also in agreement with previous research.Free-living activity energy expenditure in women s... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2002] - PubMed result

One particular strength of this study is that the researchers measured physical activity before the weight was regained. They also showed that physical activity predicted weight regain, even when corrected for body weight. Thus, one cannot claim that people were less active simply because they weighed more. Another strength is that the researchers measured physical activity outside of the structured exercise program. Thus, the decrease in activity came from a decrease in non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT, which includes all your non-exercise activity throughout the day). This is in agreement with the study I discussed last week. This study also demonstrates that decreases in RMR play very little role in the tendency to regain weight, which is in agreement with previous research.Do adaptive changes in metabolic rate favor weight... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2000] - PubMed result

One limitation of this study is that accelerometers were used to determine activity energy expenditure, rather than doubly labeled water. Thus, the energy expenditure estimates should be considered very rough estimates. Nevertheless, the study is in agreement with other studies that have used other methods for determining energy expenditure, and it is clear that there is a decrease in overall movement that cannot be explained by weight loss alone.

Another limitation is that this study cannot show cause and effect. Just because the decreased activity predicted weight regain, doesn’t mean it caused the weight regain. However, randomized controlled trials have demonstrated that when you prescribe higher levels of physical activity to people, they are much more successful at maintaining weight loss. What most likely happens is that, after people have lost weight, they start to experience “creep” in their overall caloric intake. Because physical activity decreases with weight loss, this creep can lead to weight regain as activity is abnormally low. Higher physical activity levels provide a buffer for this creep in caloric intake. Remember, we’re talking about overall physical activity here…not just structured exercise.Long-term weight losses associated with prescripti... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2007] - PubMed result

Pedometer Plug

Studies such as this one are a big reason why I am a fan of simple pedometers for helping maintain long-term weight loss. Because walking at only 1 mph will double your energy expenditure over sitting, accumulating walking activity throughout the day can go a long way into helping you keep your NEAT levels elevated after weight loss. It will give you the feedback you need to know if you’re having a tendency to move around less during the day. However, not all pedeometers are created equal, and some can be very inaccurate. I will be writing an article in the future on pedometer accuracy and which ones I recommend.Energy expenditure of nonexercise activity. [Am J Clin Nutr. 2000] - PubMed result

REFERENCE: Wang, X., et al. Weight regain is related to decreases in physical activity during weight loss. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 40(10):1781-1788, 2008.Weight regain is related to decreases in physical ... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008] - PubMed result

Here's a new blog article (Q&A) by Lyle:

Permanent Metabolic Damage – Q&A

Question: Lately I’ve seen a lot of hype regarding metabolic damage that can occur when dieting to very low body fat levels, where individuals permanently “damage” their metabolisms to the point where they are getting fat on 800-900 calories a day. It’s said to occur when losing weight too fast or trying to do too much cardio on top of a very low caloric intake.

This sounds like bro-hype but I’m wondering: Is there any truth to this phenomenon?

Answer (Lyle): This seemed a good followup Q&A after last Friday’s Lean Body Mass Maintenance and Metabolic Rate Slowdown – Q&A since it’s semi-related and I seem to have total writer’s block regarding anything approximating a feature article right now.

There are several issues at stake here and I’m going to address them in reverse order. Certainly I have seen some weirdness occur (and there is at least one study to support this) where excessive cardio in the face of a large caloric deficit can cause problems, not the least of which is stalled fat/weight loss. In that study, the combination of a very large deficit plus about 6 hours of cardio seemed to decrease metabolic rate more than the diet alone. This is something I intend to cover in more detail at a later date.

This, along with personal observations, was what led me to strongly suggest against doing a lot of cardio on The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook program; in fact I’d say that a majority of failures on that program can be tracked to people trying to do too much cardio and it doing more harm than good. Invariably, the folks who minimize activity (beyond the basic weight workouts) and let the deficit of the diet do the work do better in terms of fat loss. So certainly there is an element of truth to that.

However, we need to look at magnitudes here and do a bit of reality checking. Several in fact.

The first is to look at the food intake. 700-900 calories is not a lot of food and, typically, at the end of a contest diet, hunger is simply off the map. I find it doubtful that someone is truly consuming that little food on a day to day basis at the end of a contest diet.

Note that I did not say impossible (anorexics certainly seem to do this); I’m simply doubtful that someone is consuming that little food in the face of extreme hunger on a day to day basis. They may be reporting that that is their true food intake but I’d be doubtful that it was truly that low on an everyday basis.

Now, as discussed in the Q&A I linked above (as well as in other articles on the site and in my books), there is no doubt that the body undergoes a variety of rather annoying adaptations to reduced calories and fat loss. Reduced metabolic rate, reduced spontaneous activity, etc. all occur and this works to slow fat loss. But what we’re really dealing with here is a magnitude issue.

First and foremost, if someone is claiming to get fat on only 900 calories per day, that implies that their actual total daily energy expenditure is actually LESS than that. That is, as I discuss in some detail in The Energy Balance Equation, we know that to actively gain fat requires a caloric surplus (relative to expenditure).

To gain fat at say 900 calories, and to do so at any fast rate would imply that daily energy expenditure was significantly less than that. For example, assume that someone eating only 900 calories per day were gaining fat at a rate of 1 pound per week. That would imply a 500 cal/day surplus or a total daily energy expenditure of 400 calories per day.

For an average sized male who started out with a maintenance energy expenditure of 2700 calories per day that would be an 85% reduction. For an smaller female who started with perhaps a 1700 calorie/day maintenance, that would be a 75% reduction from where they started. And simply, that level of reduction is far and beyond everything that’s ever been measured in the history of research on this topic.

Now, some might argue that the stressors of competition dieting haven’t been examined and they’d probably be right; to my knowledge, no-one has examined the metabolic rate of a bodybuilder following an extreme contest diet. Quite in fact, most studies don’t examine lean individuals at all but there is one study that is possibly relevant which is the seminal Minnesota Semi-Starvation Study.

I’ve talked about this study before and it represents one of the most massively well-controlled studies on the topic ever done (or that will ever be done). In it, war objectors were placed on approximately a 50% reduction from maintenance calories (which only put them around 1500 calories/day or thereabouts in the first place) and were held there for 6 straight months. Activity (walking) was enforced and most men reached the lower limits of body fat percentage by the end of it. I’d note that only men were studied so it’s possible that women, who are prone to showing more resistance to fat gain, could show a differential response.

And the total reduction in daily energy expenditure only amounted to 40% (of which the majority of that was due to the weight loss). Weight and fat loss had basically stopped at the end of the study which makes sense; the original 50% deficit had been reduced to at most 10% due to the 40% reduction in metabolic rate.

The bottom line is that no study I’ve ever seen has suggested that total daily energy expenditure could be reduced to the levels that are implied by ‘gaining fat rapidly at 700-900 calories/day’.

So what’s going on? Certainly some bad hormonal things go on when you combine heavy activity with heavy deficits for extended periods to low body fat levels (I’d note that various types of cylical dieting such as my own Ultimate Diet 2.0 and Martin Berkhan’s Intermittent Fasting approach seem to side-step at least some of this). Thyroid levels drops, nervous system output drops, testosterone levels crater, cortisol goes through the roof.

And I would suspect/suggest that it is this last effect that is being observed and taken as evidence of ‘metabolic damage’. In a water depleted, glycogen depleted bodybuilder coming out of a contest diet, water balance is going to go absolutely crazy and cortisol is one mediator of this. Water retention secondary to glycogen storage will also contribute.

So you have a situation where a post-contest bodybuilder may be seeing just massive swings in water weight (which can appear like rapid fat gain) following the contest; especially when you consider the normal runaway hunger that tends to occur at that point.

Between glycogen storage and simple cortisol mediated water retention, I can’t see any other reason to explain the observation. Even one day of overeating carbs can cause massive water retention (for example, shifts in water weight of 7-10 pounds over a day or two are not uncommon on cyclical diets) and I suspect that’s what is being observed.

Which is all a long way of saying the following: certainly there is evidence of metabolic derangement when you diet people down to low levels of body fat, this can probably be made worse if you undergo the normal severe overtraining cycle that most dieters go through at that point. But I don’t see any physiological way that true rapid FAT gain can occur at such low calorie levels. I’d suspect that water retention (and a bit of neurosis equating water weight gain with true fat gain) is the primary culprit here.

Okay....Sorry, One more by Lyle.....:p

Kind of the same material that Krieger mentioned (mentioned in the article), as well as Martin Berkhan.

Lean Body Mass Maintenance and Metabolic Rate Slowdown – Q&A

Question: I am a little confused when it comes to metabolic slowdown. The reason for my confusion is that as far as I can figure, if my LBM remains approximately the same throughout the diet, then my energy expenditure should also remain basically the same. Granted, maintaining LBM is difficult but for arguments sake let’s assume that LBM is maintained within a +/- 5% range. So for an individual with 150lbs of LBM that amounts to 7.5lbs. My assertion(correct or not) is that metabolic slowdown cannot occur beyond what that 7.5lbs of LBM used in the first place?

Is this a faulty assumption? I’ve read on many a website that the body goes into “starvation mode”, however that argument doesn’t sit well with me. Either the body requires X amount of energy to function, or it doesn’t. I think “starvation mode” might simply be reduced activity in general, so for a relatively insane individual (read:athlete) who is willing to push hard on a restrictive diet, metabolic slowdown shouldn’t be an issue?

Answer (lyle): I suspect that some of this comes down to an issue of semantics (you sort of get to part of what I’m going to talk about in your second paragraph) but some of it doesn’t. The short answer to your question is that your assumption isn’t entirely correct; even with 100% maintenance of lean body mass (LBM) there can still be some metabolic slowdown. Now here’s the longer answer.

First and foremost, we need to define some terms and what’s meant by metabolic rate since I suspect that’s part of where some of the confusion is coming from. On a daily basis, an individual’s total daily energy expenditure is given by three components, which I’ve discussed in detail in Metabolic Rate Overview. They are:

1. Resting/Basal Metabolic Rate (RMR/BMR; what I suspect you’re referring to above)
  2. Thermic Effect of Food (TEF)
  3. Thermic Effect of Activity (TEA)

Where TEA has now been divided into two distinct components: the thermic effect of exercise and non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT). The distinction being that the first is calories burned during formal exercise and the second, NEAT, is the calories burned during activities such as daily moving around, fidgeting, moving from sitting to standing, etc. I discussed the potentially major impact of NEAT in a recent research review on Role of Nonexercise Activity Thermogenesis in Resistance to Fat Gain in Humans.

Now, each of the above is determined by various factors including body composition, diet, etc. And all of them are affected by dieting and the loss of body mass. Studies have repeatedly shown that individuals who have been dieted down to a given weight will have a lower than predicted metabolic rate compared to someone who didn’t diet to that weight. That is, someone who ‘naturally’ weighs 200 pounds will have a higher total energy expenditure than someone who dieted down to 200 pounds.

So what’s causing this reduction in total energy expenditure. A majority of the ‘metabolic slowdown’ that occurs is due simply to the loss of body mass. Because larger bodies burn more calories (both at rest and during activities) and smaller bodies burn less.

But that’s not the only cause of metabolic slowdown here. There is also an adaptive component of metabolic rate slowdown that is mediated by changes in hormones: leptin, insulin, thyroid, catecholamines. As these change (decrease) on a diet, you find that tissues burn fewer calories per unit mass. I’d mention that not all studies find this, about half do and half don’t. That is, your assumption that a given body composition always burns the identical number of calories on a day to day basis isn’t entirely correct.

Of course, an important question is how much of a change this amounts to. During active weight loss, the impact is relatively greater (because hormones tend to be more greatly affected); at weight maintenance (once a person has stabilized), the impact isn’t huge. In some studies of the post-obese (folks who have been dieted down and maintained at that weight) show a relatively modest 5% or so reduction in RMR. The effect exists but is not massive; it’s also highly variable, with people showing relatively more or less of an effect.

There is also evidence that individuals move around less when they lose/are losing weight. As James Krieger recently wrote on his Weightology.net website, it looks like changes in activity (especially NEAT) are the far larger contribution to the reduction in overall energy expenditure on a day to day basis; the number of calories burned in that activity also appear to be reduced due to improved muscular efficiency.

In that study, decreases in RMR were about 150 calories per day but reductions in activity expenditure were up in the 300 calorie plus range with the total effect being over 400 calories. This is likely why daily activity has such a profound impact on weight maintenance as I discussed in Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss Part 2: since the body is ‘automatically’ decreasing activity energy expenditure, you have to make up for it.

So basically you’re both correct and incorrect. The greatest impact on total daily energy expenditure certainly appears to be due to decreased spontaneous activity during the day. However, there is also an added component of a reduction in resting energy expenditure due to changes in RMR, even with complete maintenance of lean body mass. Some of this is due to simply being smaller, some of it is an adaptive reduction in metabolic rate due to shifting hormone levels (which, again, not all studies find).

And semi-tangentially, a long while back I had written an article as a background primer to something I had intended to write about alcohol. Well, now I don’t have to since Martin Berkhan over at Leangains.com has written it. In his article The Truth about Alcohol, Fat Loss and Muscle Gain he pretty much covers everything you could ever want to know about the topic.

That answers a lot of questions on metabolic slowdown. Thanks!

Lyle McDonald = one of the few, if not the only nutrition expert with integrity who hasn't sold out to some commercial interest.

I just love the guy. He can teach complicated matters in language even a layman can understand. :D

I agree 100% I have been reading some of his stuff lately, and it blows my mind. Its alot of info to digest for sure!

Could you give an example of such a situation?

Even in the Minnesota experiment metabolic rate "only" dropped by 40%, and these were men eating 50% of their daily requirement for 6 months. They were still losing fat 6 months into the study.

Only needing 300 calories doesn't sound right in any situation.

Quick search and found a post by Lyle

300 calories per day is number often tossed around as the absolute minimum a human being needs to survive, this is obviously in a very emaciated state. I don't have a reference for where I've heard it, but of you google 300 calories you will find a shitload of info on it talking about how it's the absolute minimum needed for survival.

Regardless, my point is, the body has very wide range of calories it can burn based on it's perception of food availability.

People who are overweight simply restrict calories. Unless someone is holding a gun to their heads (and maybe even then), eventually they are going to create too large of a deficit and their body will FORCE them to binge. The body is in a starvation mode state at this point and nearly all the calories turn to fat.

Hunger always trumps Willpower, eventually.

Of course this doesn't mean I don't think it can be done correctly, but simply looking at it as calories in and calories out will always fail.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131