over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hows everyone training?

heavyhitter

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What’s everyone up to these days? Current training styles? I’m just about to start week two of john meadows executioner program. What are you doing right now?

I'm back on an old Scott Abel high volume program and liking it so far, weight has increased quickly so all good. The low volume routine I was doing just wasn't cutting it anymore.

I’m a 30-40 min workout, 15-20 seconds between sets bro split 15-12-10-8/6 reps to failure .. in n out the gym quick except on leg day.

Full body routine 3 x week with cardio and stretching on the other 3 days. I'm two weeks back into lifting after major shoulder reconstruction.

Fairly low volume but depends on the body part. Over time, I started using more volume with arms and shoulders and they've responded really well. All body parts hit twice a week. Usually one or two sets per body part, higher reps, rest pause, partials and static holds. Two or three exercises per. Outside of things like rows, I really don't do many compound movements anymore. My joints are much happier now.

Push/Pull/Legs as usual. 6 days per week. One compound and one iso exercise per bodypart (incline db press and pec dec for example). So that is 6 exercises per day. 3 working sets per exercise although most are done DC rest pause style, so I guess you could call that 1 set depending on how you view it. Higher rep range on isos, lower rep range on compounds.

Instinctive training........which means I do whatever I feel like, whenever I feel like it. Believe it or not, this does work.....

Fully auto regulated conjugate training with some concurrent principles thrown in.

- we ditch Dynamic Effort days for concurrent style hypertrophy accessories during every workout.
- instead of a true second Max Effort lift we add a sub Dynamic lift that inversely works the primary lift.
-GPP/sport specific/ or speed work is done every day to replace speed work done as a standalone.

The idea is im not just increasing my total, I'm working for maximal carry over. We're talking real strength rather than just weight room strength.

Ridiculously light weight and high reps in the 15-30 range. I'm 65 now but there has been absolutely no negative effect on my physique! I have no joint pain and I can see myself doing this for many more years! Average about 8 sets per body part and everything gets worked twice over 9 days instead of 7. Highly recommend this approach for older gym rats like myself.

I alternate between DC for Old Farts on the 3 way split and the original routine I got from Hernon. Not daily, usually every 6 months or so, or when I get bored.

Odd days are push and evens are pulls. Everything is high volume with 5 sets per exercise.

Creeping Death 2

Volume cut to about 2/3 with every 3rd day off. BJJ 2 times a week with it right now, trying to balance recovery :)

I am doing Push, Pull and Legs. I train when I want but I usually go through 2 rotations in about 8 days. Trying to get stronger in all movements but it's more gradual with me and I am not trying to beat the log book. Pretty much 1-2 working sets per exercise but it can vary. Calves are an exception and I usually include over 2 working sets per movement for them. I do as many warm ups as needed but prefer to conserve energy so very few (pretty much none) hard sets are performed outside of my working sets. Most working sets are straight sets but I do add in some intensity techniques (drop sets, supersets, rest pause, assisted reps and partials etc) from time to time. Rep ranges vary but it's between 6-15 for most working sets. I have just updated my thread so I will copy and paste tonights workout to give an indication.

LEGS

Warm Up.
Seated Calf Raises... 3 working sets with 2 being supersetted with the below movement).
Standing Calf Raises...3 working sets with 2 being supersetted with the above movement).
Seated Leg Curls... 1 working set with both legs and 1 unilateral working set for each leg (including assisted reps).
Lying Leg Curls... 1 working set with both legs and 1 unilateral working set for each leg (including assisted reps).
Vertical Leg Press... 2 working sets (1 loading and 1 drop off).
Hack Squat... 2 working sets (1 loading and 1 drop off). The drop off set being rest paused until I reached 25 reps.
Hanging Knee Raises supersetted with Sled Pushes... 5 working sets for both.
Stretches.

Depends on the body part.

Depends if im above trt levels , cruising or on cycle or not. I transition from trt to cruise for a week or so than up dose more. On cycle I increase intensity and volume some. Training heavier of course as that what happens when on anabolics

Or trt I still train intense; however don't do negatives, rest pause, and try different exercises and more safer machines

chest first two exercises I go heavy for myself after warm up sets , usually ask someone to spot me . 1-2 sets on each exercise. next is db flys , than a machine flyes or cable crossovers

arms I do volume twice a week. one week is lighter sets with occlusion training after chest, usually using vt grips. next day is with shoulders and do moderate weight with pump sets in between using vtgrips-these things have improved my arms past year or so as my biceps are decent-no big peak,I squeeze them and use thehand out grip which helps with pak more. different angles and try to do the best with what I have. triceps are strong so I can rep these out and they still grow, once tenderness sets in triceps, the sets over.

Back short and intense. sometimes add in some fun exercises like assisted pullup or underhand assisted pull ups at end

shoulders, a lot of lateral type stuff. been doing behind the neck presses , not pushing it as ive had challenges in the past . do some physical therapy neck , sometimes lee heaney behind the back upright row shrugs

calves once a week, intense and heavy. use occlusion training on them esp lighter more moderate sets

upper legs lots of warmup, physical therapy, burning cardio,...leg extensions..back and forth lunges,supersetting hams and quads. cable squats. hacks supersetted with standing cable curl

I alternate between DC for Old Farts on the 3 way split and the original routine I got from Hernon. Not daily, usually every 6 months or so, or when I get bored.

I don't use the Hernon model(s) but I am always fascinated by counter culture stuff that works. Can you provide a Cliff's Note on this routine? Just basic framework....

I don't use the Hernon model(s) but I am always fascinated by counter culture stuff that works. Can you provide a Cliff's Note on this routine? Just basic framework....
Not his off the wall stuff from recent years. Three way split, one exercise per bodypart, three working sets, lower weight 10% after each set. Go to failure. Basic but it works.

3 day split Madcow 5x5.
Never done a 5x5 and I’m loving it.

Not his off the wall stuff from recent years. Three way split, one exercise per bodypart, three working sets, lower weight 10% after each set. Go to failure. Basic but it works.

OK that is similar to my "go to" split. That has always been my bread and butter. I like that reverse pyramid for most exercises. AFTER warm up, start with your heaviest set and then reduce weight while increasing reps each subsequent set. Eg. 100x8, 90x10, 80x12.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws