over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hypothyroidism – My wife needs help!

BoaMan

Registered
My wife has really struggled for the last few years. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year or so ago. She also has five nodules on her thyroid. About six months ago they had to remove an ovary due to a football sized cyst that was about 10lbs. It has taken her Endo over a year, but her thyroid levels are finally within range. She is currently taking 100mcg of Levothyroxine daily. Her vitamin D was 28, but is now up to 55. Yesterday her Endo said everything looks good… come see me in six months.

On paper she is fine. However, she still suffers with most all the symptoms; the worst being weight gain. I would estimate that she averages about 1800 calories a day. She does not eat junk or fried foods and is very lactose intolerant, so cannot have dairy. That said she has gained about 15lbs over the past six months. It has always been very hard for her to lose weight since having our children, but now she is gaining for no apparent reason. Her Endo just blew this off and said metabolisms change as we get older.

Since she has been so lethargic, she has not worked out. She literally didn’t have energy to get out of bed for a while, let alone workout. This may be a little better, but not much. She now gets winded easy and has been having frequent heart palpitations. Her Endo was not concerned.

Do any of you have experience with this? If so, do you have any ideas that can help her?

This is something I know alot about. I suffer from severe hypothyroidism. The problem with most docs are they order the wrong tests and don't listen to their patients. First if your doctor is accepting anything other than a TSH of less than 2 get a new doctor. I got better care from a GP than and Endo because he listened to me. Your wife is still having symptoms while on medication so they need to test her free T3 and T4. Some people myself included do not convert their T4 to T3 properly so while they may have a normal TSH their T3 is very low leading to all of the symptoms you describe. Is she is not converting properly she will need to take both T3 and T4. Even better is to find a doctor willing to prescribe natural Thyroid like Armour Thyroid. Most people do better on Armour than synthetic T3 and T4. Bottom line is find a doc who listens or go to a private clinic. If thats not an option start keeping a log of her temperature in the morning. Put her out on 10mcgs of T3 with her normal prescription. Keep taking the morning temperature everyday for 2 weeks. If still below 98.4(depending on her symptoms) up her dose of T3 to 20mcg and take readings again. Without her T3 and core temp to proper levels it will be next to impossible to lose weight.

Here are the results from her last two blood tests.

Levels as of 5/25/10:

TSH - 1.700 uIU/mL (0.450-4.500)
T4, Free (Direct) - 1.22 ng/dL (0.82-1.77)
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum - 2.8 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)

Levels as of 6/25/10:

TSH - 2.130 uIU/mL (0.450-4.500)
T4, Free (Direct) - 1.12 ng/dL (0.82-1.77)
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum - 2.5 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)

Sorry to hear about your wife man. Theres alot of good info on the boards and on the net reference this subject. First off, if her Endo wasnt concerned Id recomend a different Endo. There is nothing wrong with a second opinion. Tons of different test the endo can perform and different meds out there. Best of luck to you.

that sucks man. I think my father has the same thing. He'll eat about 2000 calories a day, then maybe 1-2x per week he'll eat some junk and maybe hit 3000 calories. His diet used to be a lot worse (ate way more calories each day and a lot more junk food), but he's not losing any weight at all, actually gaining, now that he's changed to the 2k per day.

pretty sure his thyroid is messed up since he ate so terribly for so long (no breakfast, small lunch, then huge dinner where he ate and snacked for 4 hours when he got home before bed)

i'm making him get a thyroid test but was thinking TSH is enough?

hopefully you get some good answers here

Good info...please keep us posted on this..my wife has a very similar problem...her numbers are in the "normal" range but all in the very bottom of "normal"...doc wont do anything. We need to find a new doc.

Just found a copy of my wifes blood work...
Her TSH is 0.768
"normal range" according to this chart is 0.450-4.500
shes in the normal range so doc says theres no thyroid issues...
question is..theres a ton of doc's out there...and that can eat up a ton of time...is there a way to "weed" out the ones that wont help? And find a good one in our area...

Just found a copy of my wifes blood work...
Her TSH is 0.768
"normal range" according to this chart is 0.450-4.500
shes in the normal range so doc says theres no thyroid issues...
question is..theres a ton of doc's out there...and that can eat up a ton of time...is there a way to "weed" out the ones that wont help? And find a good one in our area...

Yeah, ones that only test TSH. :)

Seriously, it is an archaic way of measuring thyroid function. TSH is just thyroid stimulating hormone, it means nothing in terms of how much T3 and T4 the body is producing.

Boa,
Your wife's number do show "normal" and its good her T4 is in a normal range but it is critical her free T3 gets checked. If she is converting poorly she can have a normal TSH and T4 levels. Her symptoms are caused by the low T3 and she will most likely need a doc willing to look closely at her T3 levels and prescribe a compounded medication with both T3 and T4 in it she may also do very well on a natural thyroid med like Armour. She needs to insist on a free T3 test. If the doc refuses then find a new doc. Has she actually seen a endo or only a family doc. My doc is actually an internal medicine doc but has given me the best care.

I agree 100%. The first thing is that she needs a new doctor, no questions asked. Her doctor doesn't know shit. Second, she needs someone who will prescribe armour thyroid. Most people who are hypo feel much better on it than with anything else.

This is something I know alot about. I suffer from severe hypothyroidism. The problem with most docs are they order the wrong tests and don't listen to their patients. First if your doctor is accepting anything other than a TSH of less than 2 get a new doctor. I got better care from a GP than and Endo because he listened to me. Your wife is still having symptoms while on medication so they need to test her free T3 and T4. Some people myself included do not convert their T4 to T3 properly so while they may have a normal TSH their T3 is very low leading to all of the symptoms you describe. Is she is not converting properly she will need to take both T3 and T4. Even better is to find a doctor willing to prescribe natural Thyroid like Armour Thyroid. Most people do better on Armour than synthetic T3 and T4. Bottom line is find a doc who listens or go to a private clinic. If thats not an option start keeping a log of her temperature in the morning. Put her out on 10mcgs of T3 with her normal prescription. Keep taking the morning temperature everyday for 2 weeks. If still below 98.4(depending on her symptoms) up her dose of T3 to 20mcg and take readings again. Without her T3 and core temp to proper levels it will be next to impossible to lose weight.

Boa,
Your wife's number do show "normal" and its good her T4 is in a normal range but it is critical her free T3 gets checked. If she is converting poorly she can have a normal TSH and T4 levels. Her symptoms are caused by the low T3 and she will most likely need a doc willing to look closely at her T3 levels and prescribe a compounded medication with both T3 and T4 in it she may also do very well on a natural thyroid med like Armour. She needs to insist on a free T3 test. If the doc refuses then find a new doc. Has she actually seen a endo or only a family doc. My doc is actually an internal medicine doc but has given me the best care.

Maybe Im missing something in your comment but the triiodothyronine free serum is 2.5 pg/nL?

Freshsqueezed, your thyroid levels, were your rt3 levels measured?

A lot of the replies in here have the correct responses- Free T4 and Free T 3 must be tested, also a doctor is needed that is responsive to how thier patient "feels"-meaning bloodwork could be low normal and the patient could still be depressed and gain weight easily-the doc should adjust the dose and not just look at the bloodwork. As said in most cases TSH is worthless but docs are brought and taught by TSH and T4 (synthroid) being the "gold standard.
As far a good thyroid docs-go here:
Thyroid Top Doctors | Top Thyroid Doctors -- The Best Thyroid Doctors, Endocrinologists, Thyroidologists, Practitioners and Experts in the World as Nominated by Patients, from Patient Advocate Mary Shomon

and look for someone in your state.

Good luck

A lot of the replies in here have the correct responses- Free T4 and Free T 3 must be tested, also a doctor is needed that is responsive to how thier patient "feels"-meaning bloodwork could be low normal and the patient could still be depressed and gain weight easily-the doc should adjust the dose and not just look at the bloodwork. As said in most cases TSH is worthless but docs are brought and taught by TSH and T4 (synthroid) being the "gold standard.
As far a good thyroid docs-go here:
Thyroid Top Doctors | Top Thyroid Doctors -- The Best Thyroid Doctors, Endocrinologists, Thyroidologists, Practitioners and Experts in the World as Nominated by Patients, from Patient Advocate Mary Shomon

and look for someone in your state.

Good luck

THANKS for that link. im type 2 diabetic and have low thyroid diabetes is in check no meds needed. but im on T4 and cant tell any deference if a take it or miss it for a week. she just ups my dose but never anyt change in the way i feel.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear