over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hypothyroidism after anabolics

cockdiesel

Registered
Been off all gear for over a year .labs came back saying Thyoid is under active and dr wants to put me on t4 .im always lean even when I don't eat clean. Could this be a false positive .doc seemed confused she even felt around throats and thought it was odd that it read that.any one have this issue

What were the numbers? I would retest first. Where was your TSH?
I agree....I'm assuming you've never had any bloodwork before that has flagged any thyroid issues?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

How up to date is your doctor on thyroid treatment? I've been on thyroid medication for over 25 years.

But there are so many variables you need to look at to properly diagnose.

My md tests TSH, T4, T3, Reverse T3, and thyroid antibodies. All of these give him a better picture of what is going on as different combinations of these can indicate different issues of what the underlying cause is.

Years ago when I was first started, it was the same as your scenario. High TSH and was supplemented with T4 at a pretty high dose that kept increasing until my TSH was in the range he considered normal. I still felt like shit.

It was 10 years before getting in with my current md....that he ordered a full panel and explained to me that it wasn't as cut and dry as most would make it sound to be.

I was still hypo...but he adjusted my doses and I take a combo of a very small amount of T3 and my T4 was reduced by almost 100mcg. I get it through a compounding pharmacy.

How up to date is your doctor on thyroid treatment? I've been on thyroid medication for over 25 years.

My md tests TSH, T4, T3, Reverse T3, and thyroid antibodies. All of these give him a better picture of what is going on as different combinations of these can indicate different issues of what the underlying cause is.

Years ago when I was first started, it was the same as your scenario. High TSH and was supplemented with T4 at a pretty high dose that kept increasing until my TSH was in the range he considered normal. I still felt like shit.

It was 10 years before getting in with my current md....that he ordered a full panel and explained to me that it wasn't as cut and dry as most would make it sound to be.

I was still hypo...but he adjusted my doses and I take a combo of a very small amount of T3 and my T4 was reduced by almost 100mcg. I get it through a compounding pharmacy.

I'm curious what your symptoms were. How did you feel like shit?

For the past several years come winter I am freezing. Like shivering in long-johns and long sleeve shirt when others are hanging out in short sleeve shirt. I'm going to get blood work when I see a PCP next to check.

I went through something like this 2 years ago. One TSH reading of 5.0 and DR put me on T4. After feeling like crap for a few years, switched doctor who decided to take me off the T4. Well 4 months later with not T4 and my TSH read 2.0. Like someone said, there are many variables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always had excellent thyroid tests throughout many years of AAS, until a year or so ago. Like you (OP) I suddenly started getting very abnormal t4 and tsh results even after multiple retests and had to eventually go on medication. Ironically t3 and t4 are probably the only tools I stayed away from for fear of shutting down my thyroid. Since starting meds I am still new to the process and trying to figure things out myself but from my research rmtt’s comments seem right on point: test, retest and get a full picture each time. Once you have a full picture confirmed by retesting, you will have a better sense as to whether you need T4, T3, both, or neither, and can then prepare a cutom plan.

Rmtt- your experience early on sounds identical to mine so far. My doc only tests tsh and t4, and I keep asking to test t3 et al.. I also still feel like shit. I don’t want to hijack OPs thread but would love to chat offline over PM.

Not so much cold but not burning 24 7 like I use to when I was running high gear.but my joints forget it. Unbearable pain and soreness. Appetite not what it was.they say deficiency in iodine has to do with it also and to supplement with selenium.but that would be a natural thing. If mine was caused by aas then those supplements are pointless.also if estrogen levels are not under xxx amount this could slow thyroids also right?

I'm curious what your symptoms were. How did you feel like shit?

For the past several years come winter I am freezing. Like shivering in long-johns and long sleeve shirt when others are hanging out in short sleeve shirt. I'm going to get blood work when I see a PCP next to check.

Same as you.....feeling cold at different times. I could be fine one day at 70°...and then cold the next day at the same temp.

Biggest problem was tiredness and just felling sluggish all the time. It would just come on all at once like when you have just eaten a big meal...but this would happen sporadically. At one point I thought I was developing Narcolepsy.

Not so much cold but not burning 24 7 like I use to when I was running high gear.but my joints forget it. Unbearable pain and soreness. Appetite not what it was.they say deficiency in iodine has to do with it also and to supplement with selenium.but that would be a natural thing. If mine was caused by aas then those supplements are pointless.also if estrogen levels are not under xxx amount this could slow thyroids also right?

Estrogen levels outside of range can definitely affect your thyroid.

I always had excellent thyroid tests throughout many years of AAS, until a year or so ago. Like you (OP) I suddenly started getting very abnormal t4 and tsh results even after multiple retests and had to eventually go on medication. Ironically t3 and t4 are probably the only tools I stayed away from for fear of shutting down my thyroid. Since starting meds I am still new to the process and trying to figure things out myself but from my research rmtt’s comments seem right on point: test, retest and get a full picture each time. Once you have a full picture confirmed by retesting, you will have a better sense as to whether you need T4, T3, both, or neither, and can then prepare a cutom plan.

Rmtt- your experience early on sounds identical to mine so far. My doc only tests tsh and t4, and I keep asking to test t3 et al.. I also still feel like shit. I don’t want to hijack OPs thread but would love to chat offline over PM.

I will be completely honest....a lot of this is above my head. That is why I recommend a good doctor who specializes in thyroid issues. Most still follow guidelines that were set a long time ago.....but there is so much more involved in it. My Dr. actually took the time to draw this out for me once years ago trying to explain why there are so many variables.

Also when having thyroid issues.....it will deplete your body of key materials just in the conversion of T4 to T3 and if you are having issues in that area. Vitamin D is a big one and I supplement with it still.

https://www.restartmed.com/thyroid-test/

This is a pretty good link that explains all the different tests and what the combinations are for when you see mixed results.

Don't waste time with T4, correct dose of T3 is the best route.

Too hard to predict if/how much T4 will convert and you could suppress your metabolism further with T4

Here is a good read on why T3 only or a T3/T4 combo is the best route:

https://www.restartmed.com/levothyroxine-weight-gain/

Also go read hypothyroid forums where regular (non bodybuilders) post and you will see everyone feels better with T3 after suffering and wasting time with T4

Don't waste time with T4, correct dose of T3 is the best route.

Too hard to predict if/how much T4 will convert and you could suppress your metabolism further with T4

Here is a good read on why T3 only or a T3/T4 combo is the best route:

https://www.restartmed.com/levothyroxine-weight-gain/

Also go read hypothyroid forums where regular (non bodybuilders) post and you will see everyone feels better with T3 after suffering and wasting time with T4

Exactly......first thing my doc did was put me on a T3/T4 combo as I had some conversion issues.

Same as you.....feeling cold at different times. I could be fine one day at 70°...and then cold the next day at the same temp.

Biggest problem was tiredness and just felling sluggish all the time. It would just come on all at once like when you have just eaten a big meal...but this would happen sporadically. At one point I thought I was developing Narcolepsy.

Thanks for replying. I feel very similar. Some days I could fall asleep standing even after a full night of sleep and it happens sporadically. My body temp lately is +\- 97.5 as well. Again, i appreciate it.

Salt intake pretty low? I'm just thinking about iodine levels.. I don't know how dramatic an effect iodine levels can have tho...

TSH pretty much means nothing. You need....

Total T3
Free T3
Total T4
Free T4
Reverse T3
And test for antibodies (just to be sure)

I would also get an "Iron Panel" and AM fasting cortisol and DHEA-S

Iodine could make or break your thyroid - side note for those who have women with family history of breast cancer look up the correlation between iodine deficiency and breast cancer.... "Iodoral" is a good/high dosed supplement for this to get your levels up then maybe a kelp supplement and using iodized salt daily should keep you balanced.

Cortisol and thyroid problems go hand in hand. Maybe consider a "diurnal cortisol kit" from Canary Labs.

Selenium and Vitamin A play roles in proper thyroid functioning as well.

I'm rambling bc I'm in a rush but I highly doubt anabolics are to blame here...

My wife suffered for many long years under T4-only prescriptions. Finally consulted Cratus Medical who is a sponsor here (not sure if they still are? Haven't seen them post lately). They prescribed natural desiccated thyroid, which is a combo of T4, T3, and also t2 and t1, although I'm not sure what role the latter two hormones play in the body.

Anyway, they started her off on a certain dose and then raised it until she FELT GREAT, not just stopping when the labs were 'in range'.

It's tough to find a doctor who will truly listen and be open minded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity