over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I can use all the advice I can get

StartingLate

Newbies
At my age........60, I became interested in giving some shape to my old body.
It is great to find a place like this where to ask questions and get some support, I am hoping I will not find comments stating what's wrong with me, that at this age I want to start a sport, that like most sports, are for so much younger people.
Actually started like 2 years ago, but getting more serious during the last 6 or 8 months.
I have always been a slim guy, wanting to be bigger, and now it is my time to do it, or at least to try.
I have gained about 6 pounds in the last 4 months, I feel different, I feel good about it....actually I feel great.
I hope you guys and gals will be willing to give me advice on calorie intake, mostly. I go to a gym, where they do a routine for me, I go to the gym and make friends, I have a great time there. I want to make progress, I made some, and I feel confortable saying I will be able to make some more progress if I am dedicated.
This is what I eat most of the time, most of the days. Here and there, if there is a diner or something, I make some exceptions.
Breakfast, 3 to 4 toasts of rye bread with 0% fat cream cheese, and a bit of low calorie mermalade. coffee and tea with seet and low and something like that, and a fruit. I east just about the same kind of meal for the afternoon hours.
For lunch and diner I have about 200 grams of chicken breast or a low fat red meat, usually grilled with that spray oil, or on the wok, or baked. To that, I add a baked potatoe and a salad or some vegetable, with vinegar, salt and pepper, no oil. And somtimes the fruit.
I have snacks, usually at bed time, like apples with about 150 to 200 gr of low fat cheese. Other times I have a sugarless jello mixed with 0% cream cheese, I prepare this ahead of time, and eat portions of about 80 gr of this cheese at a time.
When I dont have this prepared, or when I dont have the apples and cheese, I eat some crackers, actually I like them, but feel guilty about eating them especially during the evening.
When I miss a meal, like diner or lunch, I take a whey protein mix with flavored water.
This is me and my eating habits. I would appreciate if someone could make comments in terms of how can I improve this, what needs to be changed thinking that my goal is to increase my muscle mass and decreas my fat %.
My height is 5' 10'', according to my scale, my fat is about 19% (measured by impedance) and my weight is 158 lbs. A nutritionist whom I did not like, measured my fat at 11% with calipers. Who knows!
I started to run in the thread mill like 3 weeks ago about 25 min each time, but have not been very religious with this yet. But I am getting there.
I will be very appreciative of any advice you guys can give me.
I want to be bigger, and I want it bad.
thanks, Mac

Concentrating on the protein side, you should aim for 1.5g/lb body weight, at your weight thats around 240g, round that up, you need to eat around 50g every 2.5 hrs, this should be mainly from meat/poultry fish, dairy, though a protein shake PWO would be a good idea, mixed with a pint of milk this will give you the protein and glycogen you muscles crave after your workout.

Welcome and well done, never to old to start.

Welcome

First of all, welcome to the board. I for one believe that no matter when you start, you will always benefit from bodybuilding, as you have already seen with your progress thus far. I agree with what mars said about protein and could also add a few things to it. As with anything, people will have varying opinions and different ways of getting from point A to point B so just keep that in mind as you get advice from people. I would start by adding more protein with your breakfast. As you are 'breaking the fast' your body is in a somewhat depleted state and can use a good amount of nutrients at this time. An easy way to do this is to add either a 50-60 g protein shake or some combination of whole eggs/egg whites. The toast/ fat free cream cheese will give you some good carbs to replenish glycogen stores that have been used during sleep. The main goal in terms of diet structure is to get in a minimum of 5-6 meals per day, some of which can and should be protein shakes for convenience sake. The reason for eating more frequently is to keep your blood sugar levels more stable, keep your metabolic rate up, and to provide a constant stream of aminos/protein in the blood for repair/growth. It is very easy to carry around shakers with powder and just add water to them while you're going about your day. The focus should be on quality protein and 'good' fats (EFAs) like olive oil, macadamia oil, flax oil, and fish oil. The carbs are often an individual thing and it may take some experimentation to figure out what kind of carb intake works best for you. Low glycemic (slow burning) carbs work best for bodybuilding purposes, refined sugars and white flour will tend to encourage fat gain. Stick with sources like brown rice, yams, oatmeal, rye or wholewheat flour/pasta, etc. Cardio is a good thing for two reasons, it keeps the ticker healthy and helps to stimulate the metabolic rate. I just started doing this myself a month or so ago and I feel a huge difference in recovery. At your age you might be eligible for HRT of some type, it may be beneficial to discuss your options with your doc. Congratulations on your progress so far, you will find plenty of helpful people here who are more than willing to help you attain your goals. Take care. :)

First I will say, you are too old not to start!!! So this can be done at any age my friend. I congratulate you on your choice to take up lifting. Like the others have said, keep your protein intake high. I would suggest you go to your gp and get a full blood work done. Hormones, thyroid the works. Find out where you are lacking and get him to make the needed adjustments. You will feel even better if he will get you on HRT! at 60 you need this. But pay extra special attention to your diet and train according to how you feel. All the best to you!!

I would suggest you go to your gp and get a full blood work done. Hormones, thyroid the works. Find out where you are lacking and get him to make the needed adjustments. You will feel even better if he will get you on HRT! at 60 you need this.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say too. Get a full hormonal check and then get the doc to adjust it all to optimal using meds. You'll feel like in your 20's again.

Thanks so very much for your replies and encouragement.
I am going to introduce more protein in my daily intake, from what you are saying, it seems that whey protein shakes are a good way to go, that is not only when I skip meals.
For some reason I always thought that milk was very rich in sugars, so I avoided it, but sounds I can use more milk as well.
Regarding the HRT, I think you are refering to Testosterone Replacement Therapy.......I talked with my doc about this last week, and he was very reluctant to even have me do the testosterone blood test, but finally I convinced him, the results will be ready tomorrow, and I have an appointment with him at the end of this week. In any case, he was reluctant to it, and also explained to me that if my testosterone levels are fine then, more testosterone will do nothing for me. How correct is he? I am looking forward to the results of my blood test. I will keep you posted. I really appreciate the advice you gave me. And it really made me think I can benefit from the extra testosterone.
Thanks a lot, MAC

Thanks so very much for your replies and encouragement.
I am going to introduce more protein in my daily intake, from what you are saying, it seems that whey protein shakes are a good way to go, that is not only when I skip meals.
For some reason I always thought that milk was very rich in sugars, so I avoided it, but sounds I can use more milk as well.
Regarding the HRT, I think you are refering to Testosterone Replacement Therapy.......I talked with my doc about this last week, and he was very reluctant to even have me do the testosterone blood test, but finally I convinced him, the results will be ready tomorrow, and I have an appointment with him at the end of this week. In any case, he was reluctant to it, and also explained to me that if my testosterone levels are fine then, more testosterone will do nothing for me. How correct is he? I am looking forward to the results of my blood test. I will keep you posted. I really appreciate the advice you gave me. And it really made me think I can benefit from the extra testosterone.
Thanks a lot, MAC

It sounds like you need an open minded doc that understands hormonal manipulation.

Your test levels will come back as low. Maybe 'normal' for a 60yo, but low, which is not good.
You need all other hormones checked too, not just testosterone.

Most likely, you will need testosterone, HGH (human growth hormone) and T3 (thyroid hormone) to bring your levels to optimal (healthy) 'Normal' levels for a 60yo are not healthy. You would also need proscar (dht inhibitor)to keep your prostate in check and metformin (prevents/reverses type II diabetes).
You shoudl also load up on flush free niacin and omega 3 oils to keep your cardiovascular system healthy.

Milk is not good (as you mentioned) due to the lactose in it. Get lactose free milk. It tastes the same.

It sounds like you need an open minded doc that understands hormonal manipulation.

Your test levels will come back as low. Maybe 'normal' for a 60yo, but low, which is not good.
You need all other hormones checked too, not just testosterone.

Most likely, you will need testosterone, HGH (human growth hormone) and T3 (thyroid hormone) to bring your levels to optimal (healthy) 'Normal' levels for a 60yo are not healthy. You would also need proscar (dht inhibitor)to keep your prostate in check and metformin (prevents/reverses type II diabetes).
You shoudl also load up on flush free niacin and omega 3 oils to keep your cardiovascular system healthy.

Milk is not good (as you mentioned) due to the lactose in it. Get lactose free milk. It tastes the same.
I have to agree with this old man........oh I mean Big A!! (lol) Sounds like you need to find a better doctor. There should be no problem with your doctor doing what Big A has outlined. You are not a teenager and you are only trying to improve your overall health. Your doctor is wrong about one thing, Raising your test levels from so called normal will have incredible results for you. Both mentally and physically.

thanks, Thanks, THANKS!!!
I need you guys, I need your encouragement and fresh ideas.
I have the tests results with me, and as you said, they are normal for my age.
I am looking forward to my appointment this Thursday evening with this doc, he is a urologist. You gave me the encouragement to swith docs if he tells me no to the testosterone replacement therapy.
For the other stuff that you mention, I think I might need an endocrinologist.
I will keep you posted about what he tells me this coming Thursday,
I want to grow. Thanks again, Mac

PS: this are the results of the blood test
Plasmatic Testosterone 3.45 ng/ml range is 2.80 - 8.0
SHBG Tranporting Protein 26.67 nmol/L range is 7.20 - 100
Free Testosteron in Blood 27.2 picoMol/l range for men between 60 and 80 is 19 to 66

I went to the doc with my blood test last Thursday. As I was expecting he refused to get me started with a testosterone replacement therapy. He stated the numbers where normal.
I left frustrated..........it took me until today to write to this forum about it.
Actually I am not sure at this point how to go about it, and what to do.
I guess my only option now is to try to look for a 'more open minded doc' as one of you put it.
Meanwhile, I continue enjoying the gym, eating lots of protein whenever I have a chance, I became very strict lately with my food intake, and I don't mind eating the same meal or snack over and over, I just want to eat whatever it takes (well, except tuna) to reach my needed protein and calorie intake.
Thanks again to all of you. MAC

You have a couple options. First, I would start looking for an endocrinologist, and go see one. If you need a referral from your GP before you can see and endo., tell him you want a referral. If he refuse find an new GP. Remember your doctor works for you. Some people forget that thinking the M.D. always knows best. Nobody knows your body better than you. Or, secondly you could check the yellow pages for a rejuvenation center in your area, and try that.

Thanks Chim for your advice.
I am willing to follow all the advice you guys give me, and that is exactly what I will do next, I will get an endocrinologist. Actually I do not need a referal from my gp, so this will speed up the process.
Thanks once again.

PS: These days I am seeing also a group of sports medicine docs. Tomorrow I have an antropometric study.

Thanks for the suggestions Dad.
Actually I am in a major city, but in South America....so that asking here for a doc that treats AIDS/HIV will close too many 'narrow minded' doors.
In the States, when you have lab work done, the results go to the doc, and the doc tells you about them.
Here you have to get them from the lab, and you take them to your doc, that is why I have them with me, since after the doc reads them, he returns them to the patient.
So I am reading that my values for free testosterone in blood, which is what counts I think, because it is the testosterone that does the real work, my value is 27.2 which is fine for my age (between 60 and 80 years old, the value has to be between 19 and 66)
Also reading from the results, the value for men up to 39 years old, has to be between 31 and 94, which means that I am below that range.
This confirms what you guys are saying, I need to have the numbers for a much younger person.
Indeed, I have to find a more open minded doc. I will keep trying.
Thanks for your help even more important, thanks for the encouragement.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws