over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I did the Bros vs Pros squat challenge.

Big Dave Smith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hey guys. I was really happy with my performance. I worked my day job doing floors all day friday, bounced from 8-3, slept 5 hours, and high-tailed it up to Ronkonkoma.

I only had a jug of crystal lite with 20g BCAA's on my way up there because i was too paranoid to eat breakfast to waste time. I wound up getting there 2 hours early (I'm that guy), so I was the first person in the building. I walked across the street to some pizza place to grab my "pre-game meal"... penne a la vodka, four meatballs, and a loaf of garlic bread. LOL.

The contest was really fun. There were definitely some bullshit squats there. Juan Morel's squats were outrageously shallow. They let some of the guys who they knew wouldn't crack 10 or 15 get some shallow reps just to make them feel better. I knew Jose was going to be fair, so I decided to be fair with myself. Rather than do the half squat bullshit, I did pretty close to what I usually do. I put on single ply knee sleeves (first time I ever used them) and opted not to wear a belt. I wound up with 24, which beats my personal best of 20.

The women were the most impressive. I got to meet the Karen (women's winner), her husband, Shawna Mendelson (cook chick!), and a lot of really nice guys. Some guys were a little too serious and cranky. I stuck with the nicer people. We helped eachother with questions and I dragged over some 45's to the only rack available for a warm up.

All in all, it was a great time. I wish I would have won, but I think the video will show that my squats were probably the most fair in terms of depth. I wouldn't have felt good about myself getting 29 reps poorly with Jose STILL beating everybody. He had it in his eyes. He probably could have gone to 35.
The video isn't up yet... but it should be pretty cool. They shot us DEAD ON... so the facial expressions should be good

One of our board members here also did the challenge... with 27! I'm sure he'll chime in. (Dude, if they counted ANY of Juan Morel's bullshit squats, they should have counted your last rep to be 28... you had every right to say something).

Last edited:
Bet the wheels were on fire. Sounds like you guys had a good time.

How much weight did you use? Im guessing 405?

That's badass, Big Dave...

RE: Now that is squating!

BDS...Huge props to you bro and MUCH respect! Damn those were nice...great job and setting a PR brings its own rewards!!!

Sounds like it was very hard to keep it fair. Unless you judge clearly below parallel (hip crease below knee cap) you get all sorts of reps counted. An inch or two difference it depth could increase/decrease reps by a third for any one lifter IMO. Knee wrap were optional? Another factor that could increase reps by half if pulled tight, at least for me :D

Your reps did look deeper than the other two on that YT channel.

Serious props big Dave, that is an extremely impressive performance.

Impressive as hell Dave! Great job man.

Great job! :eek:

perfect squats bro...you should have gotten bonus points just for that

perfect squats bro...you should have gotten bonus points just for that

Thanks for the kind words guys. Actually, I was kind of hoping that when people talk about this event... they'll say "Jose won, this guy got second, third, etc... but did you see Dave Smith? He was the deepest squatter there."

I think with some more training, I could get 30+. I'd like to start playing with my logbook and repping out squats to see how many I can do with 315, 405, and 495. I've seen that video of Tom Plates squatting 5 plates for 23 reps over and over. It never gets old.

I DON'T think Jose was going to be beat though. I was at a decent angle when I saw him hit 30. He looked like he had 5+ more in his gas tank if he would have been motivated to get them.

For me, it's actually easier to go past parallel. I am tall and I don't have the physique of a heavy squatter, but I used to go heavy anyways. Those days have gone the way of the Dodo.

Congrats on the competition. I threw up just watching the video.

I bet you can be in the 10-15 rep range with 495... do you think emulating Platz would be achievable? it would take time off course but what do you think?

Thanks for the kind words guys. Actually, I was kind of hoping that when people talk about this event... they'll say "Jose won, this guy got second, third, etc... but did you see Dave Smith? He was the deepest squatter there."

I think with some more training, I could get 30+. I'd like to start playing with my logbook and repping out squats to see how many I can do with 315, 405, and 495. I've seen that video of Tom Plates squatting 5 plates for 23 reps over and over. It never gets old.

I DON'T think Jose was going to be beat though. I was at a decent angle when I saw him hit 30. He looked like he had 5+ more in his gas tank if he would have been motivated to get them.

Great set Dave. Do you know what Jose was weighing that day? What was your weight?

Impressive performance Dave! Respect!

speaking of that Tom Platz video, here it is
YouTube - Tom Platz 500lb 227.5kg squat for 23 reps

it looks like Bill Kazmaier is in the background too????

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws