advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I dont get bench shirts, someone explain to me.

Putin

Banned
I dont get it and it dont make sense to me why people do it. There are these guys at my gym that come in just to do BENCH, with shirts. It seems like they're still stuck in HIGH SCHOOL.

I watch them put on a tight shirt, which takes them probly 10minutes, and then they pull off 1 rep. So that's like a total of 5 reps for a 1 hour workout.

What's the point of benching with a shirt?? Why not just take less weight and bench it raw, because it woul be the same thing.

I wouldnt even be able to fit into that thing.

Someone explain to me why people do this. It doesnt make slightest sense to me.

If the rules say you can wear one in competition then you wear one. Otherwise you get left in the dust. There are plenty of raw meets out there for pople that want to go raw dawg.

PB

I asked this same question to John Ford a great powerlifter now living in my area and working out at the same gym.

He gave me a long history about them, but this sums it up...
I was told its purpose is to help prevent pec tears. Yes the shirt does allow you to push more weight but it also helps with preventing injury.

Then why not have a couple of guys stand next to the bar and help you get the weight up.... kinda like having a shirt. Seems same to me.

Then don't wear one. But if that's what you think, put one on, load up the bar and try it. Just make sure to video it for us.....

Not to hijack the thread..

I've wondered about bench shirts too. No one can question their added push and protection from injury. Of course, they're great for competitions, but is there any benefit to training with them on a regular basis. A couple men at my gym train with shirts probably 3 - 4 times a month. What do you think?

Then don't wear one. But if that's what you think, put one on, load up the bar and try it. Just make sure to video it for us.....
I dont think I could fit into one. I'd have to have arms 13" or smaller.:D Thats how big the shirt is the guys are using at my gym.

You have to get a shirt sized to fit you. It's not one size fits all. I enjoy the shoulder protection. After 27 years of heavy lifting my shoulders are pretty banged up. Especially my right one. I can't even play catch with my son because my right shoulder can't take it.

PB

I'd wait till one of them puts on a bench shirt then run over and start slap-boxing with them. j/k

I don't get it either.

You have to get a shirt sized to fit you. It's not one size fits all. I enjoy the shoulder protection. After 27 years of heavy lifting my shoulders are pretty banged up. Especially my right one. I can't even play catch with my son because my right shoulder can't take it.

PB

Good points! I am looking forward to doing a bench meet with Future. Slap a shirt on me and see what happens. I have a very bad right shoulder too so this should be fun to try.

I dont think I could fit into one. I'd have to have arms 13" or smaller.:D Thats how big the shirt is the guys are using at my gym.
If some of the biggest, strongest guys in the world fit into them, I think you could squeeze yourself into one. Bench shirts are as much a part of the powerlifting world as knee and wrist straps, belts and chalk.

I really think some of you guys should actually compete in something.

Powerlifting, Bodybuilding, hell, a Rope-jumping contest. Then you might not sound completely ignorant.

I don't like bench shirts either and have competed without them. There are reasons for them. Injury is looming spectre at these contests.

Putin,

Have you ever used a bench shirt?
For that matter, have you ever even competed in a bench or powerlifting meet?

Just curious becuase your intial question strongly suggests you have neither experience.

Putin,

Have you ever used a bench shirt?
For that matter, have you ever even competed in a bench or powerlifting meet?

Just curious becuase your intial question strongly suggests you have neither experience.

No I havent used one. Some guys at my gym were asking me to join their bench meet. They're there all the time and after some observation I just had to ask why they do what they do.

For some it does help especially with bad shoulders. For others it is merely a crutch to lift ALOT more than they could without the shirt. I met a guy at the Arnold this past year. He could bench 455 raw but at the meet he hit 715 with his shirt. THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

Bench Shirts

For some it does help especially with bad shoulders. For others it is merely a crutch to lift ALOT more than they could without the shirt. I met a guy at the Arnold this past year. He could bench 455 raw but at the meet he hit 715 with his shirt. THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

I agree.

I like the IPF Bench Shirts as they dont allow open backs or denim or double ply. Just enough to help at the bottom where you have to pause with maximal weight, which can be dangerous. Pity the IPF is drug free. Is there a federation as strict on lifting gear and fair lifts ie walking the squat out and good pause on bench, but isnt tested?

I don't think the USPF tests at the state level and I'm not sure about nationals. They are single ply and walk out squats.

When I first started competing the USPF was the biggest fed around and I think the ADFPA was just starting out. Damn, I've been at this for a long time.

PB

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner