YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I have 3 Grappling Tounements in the next 8 weeks......Questions about making weight.

Amazon Doll

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
The first one is in exactly one month. I weigh 169 after relaxing my diet for the holidays. I was weighing 166 up till 10 days ago.

Here are the weight classes that I could consider:

Middle: 135.6 – 147.0
Medium Heavy: 147.1 – 158.0
Heavy: Over 158.0

I am guessing I can diet down to 158 this month (last diet I did, I lost 4lbs a week with no strength loss) I don't want to be wrestling a 220lb gal if I stay in the heavies so I definatly need to diet down to get out of that class. I could easily diet down to 158 this month. I do keto style with a weekly re-feed day of about 600-800 grams of carbs that day.

Weigh in's are Friday night, and the tourny starts around 10 or 11am. I plan on competeing in 3 divisions (novice, masters & gi) So I could be competeing all day long. I feel comfortable carbing up and sustaining my energy all day long. No worries about 'spilling over" or looks at all......Just making weight at 158. That seems easy.

So now I am wondering if I could even go further with some water manipulation the final week and get into the 147 lb class by Friday weigh-in's?

I am not experienced with this. Maybe some of the Trainers here would be what I want? PM me if you are a trainer and this is something you could do.

US Grappling........Jan 29
Grapplers Quest....Feb 5
NAGA..................Feb 29

here's my blog with some vids of me rolling & stuff: Adventures of an Amazon

:cool:

Last edited:
I would not water deplete. In fact I have never cut weight for a grappling tournament unless I was just a few pounds over one of the weight limits. I can see how you wouldn't wanna be at the bottom of a non limited weight class tho. Just make the cut to 158 you should be stronger than the other gals at that weight and be in better cardio condition than if you cut water. I know guys cut water before fights but some dont because they want better conditioning and in my experience a grappling tournament is more taxing than a fight.

NoGi ftw! good luck with the tournaments... have you competed before?

These will be my first tournaments. I just found out about them this week. getting down to 157 is my plan. I was wondering if there were other options.

These will be my first tournaments. I just found out about them this week. getting down to 157 is my plan. I was wondering if there were other options.

Just diet down to 158...Your not trying to be the next superstar or going for a any titles or anything so be safe and do it right. I have done the whole water depletion and it sucks. Your a zombie if there is not a lot of time before the match and sometimes cramp up bad when re-hydrating. My record was 11lbs in a 24hrs.

Just diet down to 158...Your not trying to be the next superstar or going for a any titles or anything so be safe and do it right. I have done the whole water depletion and it sucks. Your a zombie if there is not a lot of time before the match and sometimes cramp up bad when re-hydrating. My record was 11lbs in a 24hrs.

yeah, I am just trying to keep some 300 lb heavyweight "She-zilla" from having her way with me :p

Last edited:
Is the NAGA in late February the one at the Arnold? If so, I might be there in the white belt Gi and intermediate no-Gi...

I'd say drop the freakin water. You'll only feel terrible if you continue to drop the water. You'll, of course, refeed the night after weigh in's and have a good breakfast. You'll also have between matches to grab snacks and get some liquid carbs/protein in.

If I were trying to make a weight (I'm a super no matter what)... I would go keto style. Drop your sodium on Thursday and Friday to damn near zero. Slam water from Monday through Thursday night. Friday morning, stop drinking water. Keep sodium next to nothing, keep your body warm (sweat off a few more). Weigh in as early as possible. Immediately after you get off the scale, have some sea salt, fruit, and some liquid carbs ready. Baked potatoes are high in potassium, so that'd be a great starchy carb to load up on for energy. Eat till you're full and schedule your meals based on when you need to feel your best to grapple... obviously avoiding having a full stomach. (saw a kid shoot for a takedown once... got his backside PUKED on by his opponent who sipped on a wee bit too much Gatorade!).

I can't WAIT till my next match. I haven't had one since before my surgery. Do you have any videos of you rolling? What are your favorite submissions to pull off? Do you enjoy Gi or no-Gi more?

I was a scholarship college wrestler

Lots of unpleasant experience cutting water weight. I remember one weigh in my tongue was so swollen I couldn't talk. But I digress.

The big picture here is that the higher the weight class, the less competive. Just based on population stratification. I bet you'd feel better, and grapple better at heavy weight. I always won more at 190 than 167.

How many athletic 220 girls are there. You ought to get up to a solid 180 and take on the blubber.

The other wild card is who shows up? If the top 158lb girl in the country shows, I'd prefer to bump up out of her class. If the top heavy shows up, your gonna wish you sucked the weight.

Bottom line, I'm not a big fan of cutting weight. Oh yeah, how much time between weigh in and competition? 2 hours vs 24 hours? You suck down all that water then wrestle 2 hours later you are toast.

Is the NAGA in late February the one at the Arnold? If so, I might be there in the white belt Gi and intermediate no-Gi...

I'd say drop the freakin water. You'll only feel terrible if you continue to drop the water. You'll, of course, refeed the night after weigh in's and have a good breakfast. You'll also have between matches to grab snacks and get some liquid carbs/protein in.

If I were trying to make a weight (I'm a super no matter what)... I would go keto style. Drop your sodium on Thursday and Friday to damn near zero. Slam water from Monday through Thursday night. Friday morning, stop drinking water. Keep sodium next to nothing, keep your body warm (sweat off a few more). Weigh in as early as possible. Immediately after you get off the scale, have some sea salt, fruit, and some liquid carbs ready. Baked potatoes are high in potassium, so that'd be a great starchy carb to load up on for energy. Eat till you're full and schedule your meals based on when you need to feel your best to grapple... obviously avoiding having a full stomach. (saw a kid shoot for a takedown once... got his backside PUKED on by his opponent who sipped on a wee bit too much Gatorade!).

I can't WAIT till my next match. I haven't had one since before my surgery. Do you have any videos of you rolling? What are your favorite submissions to pull off? Do you enjoy Gi or no-Gi more?

Its no that easy as you make it sound...I know of many who weigh into tournaments the night before and still suffer the consequences of loosing all that water. You really not on your game unless you only had to loose at most a few pounds of water. Even watching how you eat and what you eat you still feel not that great and still have some stomach upset especially the first time you eat something. Fruit always worked best for me and others I know. If you have to weigh in the same day you don't want to eat to much. Fruit, water and electrolytes and some energy supplements. I would take in some glycerol as well. Maybe some LBAs.

I've had to cut weight at least 300 times...You always want to be at least 1lb and 2lbs is better less than you target weight on your own scale also because wherever your weighing in their scale may be heavier.

Last edited:
I wrestled for 13 years and always cut weight to be my best. You will make 158 no problem. Just eat less and start cutting water. You have lots of time to re-hydrate so you should be fine. I walked around at 190 and wrestled 177. I dont know how keto and other bodybuilding diets would work because most wrestlers knew nothing about them. I was a collegiate All America and most the good wrestlers I knew cut weight. Im in my 40's now so i'm sure things have changed. If you loss 2 pounds per week you are almost there. You shouldnt have much water to lose. 158 should be easy even if its your first time, good luck

The NAGA I am doing is February 19th in Coral Springs Florida. At the bottom of my first post is a link to my blog where I posted some vids of me rolling.

Thanks for all the good info Big Dave.

Big Dave Smith is giving excellent advice follow what he says and youll be fine. We always drank as much water as possible while eating less food a day or two before depending on weigh ins. If we weighed in the night before we'd cut the weight that days 5-8 pounds of water using a good hot sauna. take sauna suit with you in case you dont have access to a sauna. 158 is a easy weight 147 will be hard if you havent done it before but can be done for the Feb. 29th event. If you start feeling weak and no endurance just move back up.

Last edited:
Big Dave Smith is giving excellent advice follow what he says and youll be fine. We always drank as much water as possible while eating less food a day or two before depending on weigh ins. If we weighed in the night before we'd cut the weight that days 5-8 pounds of water using a good hot sauna. take sauna suit with you in case you dont have access to a sauna. 158 is a easy weight 147 will be hard if you havent done it before but can be done for the Feb. 29th event. If you start feeling weak and no endurance just move back up.

Thanks Mas, I like Dave advise too. I doubt I will even have to cut water to get to 158 (a few lbs under to be safe) during this month. I won't try and hit 147 for this first Tourny.

The NAGA Tourny a month later has a different weight class (140-159) So I won't try and drop any more weight for that.

hey AD :)

just wanted to say GOODLUCK!!! and kick ass or grab ass whatever you know what i mean lol

EDED, I only play grab ass with you! :D

ahhhh say that :D ,,,,its kinda far to drive, but could use a nice butt grab/rub after sitting and driving for so long ahhahahahah

I wrestled D1, id cut from 195 to 165 in just over a month. Just up your cardio in the AM on an empty stomach, eat alot of protein, keep your carbs low, and i never eat after 7 PM , well maybe just a protein shake

The last time I did a Jiu-jitsu comp I cut down to 176 then got my ass kicked at the end by some guy who hit the mat at least 185-190. I might get the bug again one day.

Good luck!

hey bro, last tourny i went to i cut to 155 from 175. took about a month. just lower your carbs up your protein. drink alot of water. i had to lose 5 lbs the day before weigh ins but its nothing a sauna suit cant take care of. since its your first one i would say just take it easy. this is more for experience. but if you like cutting hard core def do more high rep workouts along with the dieting. but dont kill yourself. if your tourny is like mine u can weigh in the day before. which gives you plenty of time to recover. i wrestled all my life and have cut 12 lbs in one day. sucked ass. you know your body better than me but what i did was two days before i drank alot of water and ate lean proteins and veggies and fruits. no carbs. the day before weigh in cut out water and any food. go sweat out some water cuz u got ten punds of water u can shed off if u have too. depending on what you weigh will depend on how much u need to sweat. if your like me u will lose a pound or two while sleeping too. if your still over when u wake up just throw on the plastics and get your heart rate up and sweat alot. i like to sit in my truck with the heaters on. then after u weigh in DO NOT feast yet. just SIP SlOWLY on gatorade, maybe add a little salt to it. and eat fruits. wait a couple hours and let your body get use to the food and sugars then u can eat a normal size meal. but dont get crap food. eat somethin healthy. i know some guys hit up fast food after but im telling u that will do more damage than good. drink up and rest that night and get mentally prepared for the next days match! have fun best of luck hope this helped.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131