over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I have a very overweight brother... Help please

dalvare1

Kilo Klub Member
Hey guys... Looking for some guidance and hopefully someone has been in this position.

My brother is a big boy, always has been (been over 300lbs). Worst part is it definitely takes a toll on his mood and confidence. He is a homebody and doesnt really go out or make friends and i know its because he is really self conscious about himself.

Anyways, we have been training together for awhile now (6months or so), and he has made BIG progress! Which is great! He is fitting into his clothes so much better and he is actually pretty frickin strong.

But I really want to take him to the next level. If I had to guess id say he has lost 20-30 pounds and gained at least 5-10 pounds of muscle. I kick his ass in the gym lol and help him with diet stuff as much as i can.

I am really considering having him do some T3 or another agent for fat loss.

He has used OTC stims like ECA/hydroxcut and shit like that.

But I really think he just has a really shitty metabolism. He isnt a complete pig he just looks at food and gains weight.

Anyhow, do you think it would be a bad idea to try out a 3-4 week T3 cycle?

Or does anyone have any other reccomendations or been in a situation like this? How did it turn out? Anyone really make big changes that lasted?

I love my bro and I have watched him miss out on soooo much of life (he is 22 now and its been bad since he was a teenager) I dont want it anymore.

He has made so much progress I know if we push hard and take another 20-30 pounds off he would be a different person

I know its lame but it needs to be asked.. do you have him on a good meal plan? Or is he doing the dieting on his own? As a former fat ass i know that losing the weight is extremely easy until youre real lean. At my biggest i was 275 lbs at 5ft 10in. No muscle, never worked out in my life. I started doing weights regularly and originally all i did was cut out a couple junk meals and all sodas and lost a shit load just fron that, then got more and more into bbing and cleaned it up and changed over time. But anyway, i lost from 275 to 190-195 in about 9 or 10 months just from weight training and a fair diet. And my diet was no where near perfect most of that time. A lot of it id have a light breakfast, whatever i wanted for lunch, a MRP pre workout, a protein shake post workout, and a light dinner, usually tuna or something, and once a week would have whatever for dinner. That was about how my diet was throughout the majority of it. Honestly if you nail his diet ans make sure hes following it that weight will just fall off with no super supps.. i wouldnt mess with his thyroid or anything like thay if he isnt going to be competitive or anything.. no reason to risk it bro. And no clen because at that weight his heart is probably already working pretty heavy.

But it can be done. I was obese for quite a while and finally made the change. It seems like a different reality now haha i barely remember not being a stud ;p i wentcfrom obese to a skinny ripped 160 at my smallest. And then got into the sport and am a pretty lean 215 at the moment, grtting up to 232 at one point pretty lean.

Point is with a little dedication its more than possible for your brother to get where hecwants naturally and pretty fast. I hardly noticed i was dieting the majority of my weight loss, it was surprisingly easy

Has he asked about other chemical fat loss agents?

I wouldn't stop something good, it seems like he is making progress and that is most of the journey to self-confidence and character building.

If he doesn't know about the drugs I would not introduce him.

I wouldn't even put him on a 'diet' or 'meal plan', just start cycling his carbohydrates. People who are that out of shape respond to even the smallest (positive) diet changes I find.

Why not go get him a blood panel. Could give you an idea of what his thyroid levels look like. But yeah make sure you help him take a good look at his diet.

Anyone who is that obese needs to be on DNP, imo.
For those that think DNP is dangerous, I think a day spent being 300lbs of fat is more dangerous than a day spent on DNP.

Of course proper diet is a must, but anyone trying to fight obesity without diet being in check is a little foolish. When I suggest drugs, I assume someone is already doing what they can naturally to achieve their goals.

Well of course adding t3 into his mix will enhance his weight/fatloss. I do have to wonder based on the OP how much the brother is doing this on his own onus and how much he is dependent on external assistance. Because while spoon feeding him t3 would assist with some pounds off, if he isn't internally committed and motivated to eat and train right his results will always be limited.
There is no magic bullet to replace hard work and dedication. Its same as guys who turn to aas too early without having the rest of the puzzle pieces in place.
Its hard for me to assess how good that 6 months of progress is. 20-30lbs of fatloss. Well 20 in 6 months is better than nothing but for someone truly motivated I might expect more; same with the muscle gain. I'm not knocking what he has achieved but rather it seems to me like dalvare1 is leading the horse to water, but only the brother can make the choice to drink.
If the brother is 22 and got to 300 that clearly is a sign of many negative factors. As aforementioned the only changes which last are the ones someone is committed to and not what the trainer or in the case brother says to do.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes he is eating healthy. Ive gone over protein, low carbs, healthy fats 1000 times with him. I know he knows, and I know he tries to make smart food choices as much as possible. But I dont live with him anymore and I cant be and dont want to be monitoring his food.

the thing is, like I said he is really self conscious and I dont want to be like , "Danny tell me everything you ate this week" and then pick it apart. Just getting him into the gym and out of the house is HUGE... I know it sounds bad but its true. I dont want to "come at him" with "you need to eat XYZ" because he will get discouraged and quit... how do i know? because ive been down this road with him SEVERAL times... its a very very fine line between putting in effort and giving up completely and I dont want to break the momentum....

But I know if I say hey, "take 1-2 of these per day it will really help I take these too" with a 25-50mcg T3 tab he would just be like "sure ok!"

his diet is healthy now... he is eating mixed meals, cut out the junk. I got him taking a fiber supplement as well because all the shit he ate for so long I think fucked up his digestive system.

And as for getting bloodwork, this is also just WAY too big a step. If I mentioned that he would not be happy and think "what the hell is wrong with me, etc etc"

Just my story

My bro (love him to death) is also a good bit overweight, has been his whole life and I would have been too if I did not find bbing when I did.

He does not let it hold him back, he is very likable, has a good amount of friends and gets out and lives life probably more than I do lol.

I'v been very proud of him lately as he started working out and lifting about a year ago with some guys he works with. He does no cardio, does not follow a diet in the sense that we do as bbers, but atleast he busts his ass in the gym and moves some weight so I am pleased. Hes starting to look a good bit better also.

I'v offered him up diet advice before, but he just wants to live it up which is fine by me as long as he is exercising. He lifts with some legit power lifters / strength coaches.

OP I really dont think, this is just me here, that t3 is a good option. t3 is some powerful shit and he probably wouldent respond to well when he flattens out, loses muscle/strength he has gained working out. He is not on gear and t3 is just a stepping stone to more stuff imo. It seems like a path he does not need to go down right now as it sounds like he is making good progress natty.

Were all okay with clen, t3, dnp, gear coming out of our asses because that what we do, thats who we are. I wouldnt suggest any of these drugs to anyone who is not a 100% committed bber and narsisit who primary love in life is transforming their body into something amazing - its not for everyone.

I really think a good ECA stack (which you said he has done) with diet, cardio, and 4-5 days hitting the steel a week can transform most people. It will take time obviously. I'd cycle ECA with him, 6 or so weeks on, 4-6 weeks off then back on. ECA cycles, protien, creatine, cardio, aybe some bcaa/eaa and maybe a few decent supps should be all he needs right now. 6 months into lifting is too soon for drug use.

Hope that helps

Yes he is eating healthy. Ive gone over protein, low carbs, healthy fats 1000 times with him. I know he knows, and I know he tries to make smart food choices as much as possible. But I dont live with him anymore and I cant be and dont want to be monitoring his food.

the thing is, like I said he is really self conscious and I dont want to be like , "Danny tell me everything you ate this week" and then pick it apart. Just getting him into the gym and out of the house is HUGE... I know it sounds bad but its true. I dont want to "come at him" with "you need to eat XYZ" because he will get discouraged and quit... how do i know? because ive been down this road with him SEVERAL times... its a very very fine line between putting in effort and giving up completely and I dont want to break the momentum....

But I know if I say hey, "take 1-2 of these per day it will really help I take these too" with a 25-50mcg T3 tab he would just be like "sure ok!"

his diet is healthy now... he is eating mixed meals, cut out the junk. I got him taking a fiber supplement as well because all the shit he ate for so long I think fucked up his digestive system.

And as for getting bloodwork, this is also just WAY too big a step. If I mentioned that he would not be happy and think "what the hell is wrong with me, etc etc"

Well that answers my question then, he does not have it internally yet to follow thru on his own. That's no negative reflection on you per se just a sad reality. Sounds like if you don't go with him to the gym he won't go on his own either with any consistency so you can only do so much. Anyone who objects to having an assessment of their health in this case that blooddraw just isn't in a position to make the proper choices.
Now should you trick your brother into some t3? well again it will work. But when he inevitably ceases that will he have the discipline to eat extra clean and work out extra hard so he doesn't fall into massive weight gain rebound in the few weeks his thyroid takes to ramp back up on its own. Someone this mentally fragile might be worse off if he loses say 20lbs in the next 2 months on t3 then stops and gains 10lbs back in 3 weeks because he wasn't disciplined on his own.
Its a tough case as I can tell you have great concern and affinity for your brother, you just can't walk his walk for him.
But for the sake of info yes 25mcg first thing on an empty stomach, followed ideally by fasted cardio. 6 hours later 25mcg with no food one hour before or after. Heck you could even try him on 50 and 50 but that would surely compromise his lean tissue though the scale would move down faster

Cap him some sugar pills, boss.

Placebo will work really well in an instance like this, plus no chance for negative sides.

He has to remember he didn't become 300lbs overnight so he's not gonna be 200lbs over night....i know all to well that consistency is the key!!! good/clean diet and being consistant!!!

Give him nothing. He'll use it as a crutch. When he's into a set pattern of healthy eating and working out and he has stalled then supplement. It's a mental thing.

If you're truly worried about his thyroid then have a thyroid panel
Taken and give enough to get him to a natural level, not superphysiological.

That's my best advice if he's your brother and you want him healthy for the long haul

Thanks again... I guess maybe I am making the mistaking of putting pressure on myself because of him.

Its not that I feel responsible, I just hate KNOWING that if he did what i said his life would be COMPLETELY transformed in 6 months and he would look like a different person.

but thats on him, I cant force anything the motivation has to come from within.

Ill just keep plugging along making steady progress and hopefully he will come to and make the neccesary sacrifices

Before you start him on chemicals, you should do everything you can with diet and exercise until that progress stalls.

The best diet tool I have ever used is a food log where you log everything you eat and can see the macro breakdown and total Kcals being consumed. Until I used the food log, I was just guessing and my diets sometimes went well and sometimes did not. If you mention to him that a lot of guys really make good progress with a food log, and encourage him to look into it, like the one at Fitday.com or at Livestrong, he won't even feel like you are criticizing him, just offering good advice.

Once you can see the difference in kcals between a cup of yogurt and a cup of corn or cottage cheese, it is easy to make the healthier choice.

Like Adjordana said, if you get a good diet, you don't even notice you are dieting, and the weight just keeps coming off.

Last edited:
Well that answers my question then, he does not have it internally yet to follow thru on his own. That's no negative reflection on you per se just a sad reality. Sounds like if you don't go with him to the gym he won't go on his own either with any consistency so you can only do so much. Anyone who objects to having an assessment of their health in this case that blooddraw just isn't in a position to make the proper choices.
Now should you trick your brother into some t3? well again it will work. But when he inevitably ceases that will he have the discipline to eat extra clean and work out extra hard so he doesn't fall into massive weight gain rebound in the few weeks his thyroid takes to ramp back up on its own. Someone this mentally fragile might be worse off if he loses say 20lbs in the next 2 months on t3 then stops and gains 10lbs back in 3 weeks because he wasn't disciplined on his own.
Its a tough case as I can tell you have great concern and affinity for your brother, you just can't walk his walk for him.
But for the sake of info yes 25mcg first thing on an empty stomach, followed ideally by fasted cardio. 6 hours later 25mcg with no food one hour before or after. Heck you could even try him on 50 and 50 but that would surely compromise his lean tissue though the scale would move down faster

Maybe the guy's depressed? It's fairly common, and (speaking from experience) once you're there, it seems like there are no solutions that will work. . .

Brother D1

D1,

Just wanted to chime in here, it may be a little reptitious of what's been said,
but something that hasn't been said is:

You've done a remarkable job changing someone's life. And your brother has done very well because of you :yeahthat:.

Over the years I have trained hundreds of people, many obese.
In fact, I work right now exclusively (by choice) with 6 very deconditioned, poor, desperate, obese people. It's difficult to begin a new lifestyle, it is for everyone. You have to have a compassionate heart, and be a hard ass to the point where it doesn't turn into something which demotivates him, even though it may frustrate you.

I can tell your heart is in the right place.
A golden rule I always use with anyone who has to loose more than 25 pounds. Loose no more than one pound a week.
That requires only eliminating 500 cals a day. Of course there will be some weeks where the scale doesn't budge, that's OK.

For most people that is very do-able. Losing more than that quicker will set your bro up for rebound. He can feel full and satisfied, without starving himself. That's 50ish pounds at the end of a year.

That's a huge accomplishment. He's right on track. Congratulations to you and him.

No T3, no clen, no anything. Just keep reminding him to keep his eye on the target, he's getting closer every week.

Peace,

MT

Maybe the guy's depressed? It's fairly common, and (speaking from experience) once you're there, it seems like there are no solutions that will work. . .

Perhaps he is but just because someone is depressed it doesn't mandate them to weigh 300lbs at age 22. I was clinically depressed for years. Did SSRI's and the whole nine yards. How did I beat depression? It wasn't through the pills it was finally taking personal ownership for some stuff, not blaming others but being accountable and honestly just manning up. Sounds like the OP's brother would benefit from a similar set of choices

Best motivation I had going from 350+, as my scale didnt go that high, to 208 was to hirer someone to do my diet for me and told me what cardio to do. Nothing like spending a bunch of money to get you motivated to do cardio before work because if you don't do it you just wasted money.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear