YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I have yet to see 1 valid argument as to why food is more effective than whey protein

AlphaMaleDawg

Banned
For years everyone has been saying protein shakes aren't as good as food and you shouldn't drink too many. Not once has any argument been anything other than the following:

FOOD IS BETTER

Why?

BECAUSE ITS FOOD

come on really? Serious parrot syndrome if you ask me

prove me wrong

For years everyone has been saying protein shakes aren't as good as food and you shouldn't drink too many. Not once has any argument been anything other than the following:

FOOD IS BETTER

Why?

BECAUSE ITS FOOD

prove me wrong

it depends what your goals are..if you compete,relying on shakes instead of food will give you a washed out look..there also not calorie dence..if you have 150 or even 200 g of protein a day from a shake your only still getting 800 calories max..and thats only 1 reason why food is better than shakes..i can think of many more but...

well...

its very simple really. Protien powder in water or whatever liquid is predigested, very small grains that the body has to do nothing with but absorb.

Whole foods:

1. body has to expend calories to break down (thermogenic)
2. you will get a more complete meal eating whole food, healthy fats, complex carbs, natural creatine from red meat, etc etc.
3. thinking about, prepping, and eating whole food meals brings a discipline and accountability factor into the equation, whereas protein shakes, I.M.H.O., offer an easy way out, maybe even promote laziness.

Shakes have their place, if you have no other choice, you only have 2 mins to get something down the hatch, etc.

FOOD IS BETTER

Why?

BECAUSE ITS FOOD

prove me wrong

Alpha, you f*ckking suck at using the search function though.. gotta keep that in mind bro ;) bahahhahaha.

It's all about the bioavailability of the "proteins" and nutrients that are being absorbed. You can drink a 60g protein shake, but you sure as HELL aren't getting anywhere near 60g of actual protein, once it is digested and broken down by your stomach enzymes. You're simply getting more "real" protein from eating actual food.

Just something to think about... consider a weight gainer shake... "1000 calories" all from dextrose and fructose. do you think that will be more effective then a 1000 calorie BALANCED meal alpha?

-VM

FOOD IS BETTER

Why?

BECAUSE ITS FOOD

prove me wrong

Dude, did you just come here from bodybuilding.com forums or something? Do research, there are a million reasons why food is better, to say none of them are valid is just ignorant. Are you a doctor or a professional who can prove guys like Phil H. wrong?

Dude, did you just come here from bodybuilding.com forums or something? Do research, there are a million reasons why food is better, to say none of them are valid is just ignorant. Are you a doctor or a professional who can prove guys like Phil H. wrong?

LOL!!

bambam had cool tats on his head :)

its very simple really. Protien powder in water or whatever liquid is predigested, very small grains that the body has to do nothing with but absorb.

Whole foods:

1. body has to expend calories to break down (thermogenic)
2. you will get a more complete meal eating whole food, healthy fats, complex carbs, natural creatine from red meat, etc etc.
3. thinking about, prepping, and eating whole food meals brings a discipline and accountability factor into the equation, whereas protein shakes, I.M.H.O., offer an easy way out, maybe even promote laziness.

Shakes have their place, if you have no other choice, you only have 2 mins to get something down the hatch, etc.

1)This is the same concept used by people who believe you need to eat 6 meals a day instead of 3. Seriously I don't think the thermogenic effect of breaking food down will make any significant difference in body composition.

2) add some oats/peanut butter to a shake and you have a perfect balance.

3) this doesn't prove anything. I prepare my shakes for the day at night before I go to bed. It is a ritual.

I think this way. Food should be as close to how it came from nature as possible. Shakes arent horrible but wouldnt use more than 2 a day.

Alpha, you f*ckking suck at using the search function though.. gotta keep that in mind bro ;) bahahhahaha.

It's all about the bioavailability of the "proteins" and nutrients that are being absorbed. You can drink a 60g protein shake, but you sure as HELL aren't getting anywhere near 60g of actual protein, once it is digested and broken down by your stomach enzymes. You're simply getting more "real" protein from eating actual food.

Just something to think about... consider a weight gainer shake... "1000 calories" all from dextrose and fructose. do you think that will be more effective then a 1000 calorie BALANCED meal alpha?

-VM

lol you crazy man. And to argue your post, what proof do you have that protein in grilled chicken gets absorbed better than whey protein? I'm not talking about carb or fat sources because shakes are known for protein for the most part

I think this way. Food should be as close to how it came from nature as possible. Shakes arent horrible but wouldnt use more than 2 a day.

again you have nothing to support this argument other than "well that's what everyone else says"

Strange that you would use Phil Hernon as an example of why whole food is better. Not only is Phil Hernon a strong advocate for using LBA's with coconut oil as meals, but I specifically recall seeing Phil himself argue on this board that whole food is no better than engineered food in terms of results. What's more, he even said he prepped for his USA victory using LBA's as his primary source of protein.

Also, why are you flaming the shit out of the OP for asking a legitimate question?

As far as I can see, the only instance in which whole food would be better is if you need to make every calorie count in terms of satiety/fullness. If you're dieting, you don't want to consume too many shakes because they don't stick to your ribs and keep you full.

lol you crazy man.

haha word bro, just playing around :D

And to argue your post, what proof do you have that protein in grilled chicken gets absorbed better than whey protein? I'm not talking about carb or fat sources because shakes are known for protein for the most part

again you have nothing to support this argument other than "well that's what everyone else says"

I'll look for some studies and get back to you. Nothing off hand.

-VM

cool answer. Not one word offers any credibility on the topic at hand

people with no knowledge of the metabolic pathway and digestion of protein should not even be commenting on this topic. other than differences in bio availability if are stimulating growth through resistance training and ingest protein in a meal, no matter what the source, it will be digested and broken down into the same constituents (amino acids) required to initiate protein synthesis and cellular repair/growth. (Assuming it is a complete protein which contains all essential amino acids, which whey does.) The only downside to utilizing whey as a sole intake of protein is it's deficiencies in many micro nutrients readily available in other sources. The lack of evidence from any scientific studies makes it an interesting topic for discussion

Pure WPI(SynthePure) 24/7 and sitting at 290 while cutting.

It aint magic. It works though.:)

It's not that the protein drinks are bad, it's that you need other types of food to keep the GI tract working properly...and whey protein doesn't give you all the nutrients needed. If you want a more detailed explanation of why, let me know...I'm a GI nurse and could bore you to death with details. The bottom line is that you need some bulk in your food intake.

FOOD IS BETTER

Why?

BECAUSE ITS FOOD

prove me wrong

It's great to see someone questioning things. It would be great to have more well-designed studies on questions of interest to us, because you can't really settle the questions using "first principles" ... in bodies things get very complicated. (Think about the fact that researchers still haven't sorted out the roles of T, DHT, E, and IGF in prostate ca. T used to be the "villain," but now we think E and IGF are of greater concern.)

BUT ... there is a weak, but real, argument from first principles. Our bodies reflect eons of evolution in pre-history, and the human body is well adapted to a "primal diet" of certain foods (as opposed to processed starches, non-stop whey shakes or whatever. Wheat, for example, is a recent introduction into the human diet over the last few thousand years, and many people digest it poorly (allergies, celiac disease). There is a whole primal diet movement which makes a modicum of sense to me ... now back to my whey shake!

eat 1lb steak w/ 3 whole eggs once per day for a month w/o any protein drinks throughout the day at all. Then.....eat whatever it is you eat and have your protein drinks. Compare.....and......it's not a marginal difference.....it's HUGE. Nice post though.

It's not that the protein drinks are bad, it's that you need other types of food to keep the GI tract working properly...and whey protein doesn't give you all the nutrients needed. If you want a more detailed explanation of why, let me know...I'm a GI nurse and could bore you to death with details. The bottom line is that you need some bulk in your food intake.

I'm not suggesting whey being the only protein source necessary for gains. But if you have two whole meals that included say...chicken and fish, then for your next 4 meals whey was the main protein source, it won't make a difference

wouldn't there be a difference in micronutrients in a shake vs food?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws