over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I think I Might be outta this GAME!

Fathead

Banned
I am 37 years old in April, I have won over 30 contests in 7 different states, qualified for nationals 4 times, and had more than my share of offers to go further.

I was sitting around the other day getting ready to go out with my little boy and when I bent over to pick him up both my knees twinged with pain as well as my back. I can't even lay on the floor any more without my back feeling like a semi-truck hit it. I have to go a couple times a month to get adjusted just to stay remotely flexible, and before I hit the gym I take 5 asprins and 4 nuprin and for an FYI the asprin is for semi chest pains.

I know what I have done and don't think I have looked my best but it has gotten old. I weigh 265lbs today at 5'11" and this is before my cycle has even started, and I feel like shit. I have bulked to the verge of coronary heart disease and dieted to the depths of near heart attacks for 15 yrs and I don't think I can do this anymore.

I was told by more than a dozen 300lb + men that I would have made a great strong man but that's what put me here I think the yrs of super heavy lifting has taken its toll on my limbs and joints and the diet may have taken my heart in a sense.

I think my big guy days are over and maybe I'll just lean up the rest of my life and stay healthy.

My new moto is no more pain but who cares I'm old

Take some time off...

Fathead,

Spend some time with your son. Take some time off from training. Start stretching every day. Take walks in the evening. Eat well, clean out, and take care of yourself.

It sounds like your approach (same as mine) has been to bulk up to extremes, feeling nauseous and sick from abdominal distention and gagging, in hopes of having a few more lbs of muscle when when you *die* - et down for a show.

Why not try letting the BW slide back some, lose some fat, stay closer to contest shape, healthier, feeling better and more balanced, and if you feel the need, try to gain some muscle w/o balloning up so much. If you're like me, you sometimes make yourself so sick trying to gain weight that you're too sick to grow anyway! If your body's healthier, and so is your mind, you'll grow and adapt better.

Good Luck, Bro. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would not like to see you go, but don't stick around for us. Do it b/c you dig this BB'ing shit so damn bad that you've gone to hell and back enough times to kill a dozen men...

-Randy

Come on - 37 is old?!?!? I think age is a cop out - just another reason/way to justify not to persist. Now I don't doubt the problems you stated and maybe it's time to re-group or re-establish some goals. Quitting is not an option :D

I turned 50 last Sunday.

xcel

Last edited:
Hi Fathead I used to blow up in offseason well over 300pounds but now do cardios 5x week in offseason and stay around 6-7 %at 282 I feel 100% better !! I don't feel like I am going to die when walking down road, I can breath properly, basically feel good all year round. I don't ever want to go back to not doing cardio and being over 10% bodyfat. Being lean I am sure I have grown shitloads faster as well ! get lean and grow bro :) you still got heaps years and shows left

how about u take a 6 month break from weights , do some yoga(it works !) and learn some breathing exercises , and relax man , u know the normal life . i'm sure u will be fine and want to get back to lifting weights , ive seen so many people who were suffering with severe joint pains , rigidity , etc etc benefit by yoga, also made them more peaceful . i really suggest u give a thought to this my bro .

I guess

I guess maybe you have to know my background, like for instance KIWI I am a cardio nut even off season if I did not do cardio I'd weigh 290 or so. I played 5 yrs of college football and track and 4 yrs in the CFL and all that time I was still competeing.
I just really mean competing is all as I don't think my body likes it anymore. Like the losing 60lbs to come in as a small heavy or a light heavy or even losing 100lbs to be a middle weight.

I think mainly is my ego drove me for 10+ yrs and now physcically it's caught up to me especially in the last six months. Remember one of my first posts was I was so happy I broke the 700lbs mark on squat well that was my last big lift I'd shit a brick if I did that again.

I am not stoping the sport at all just I think my time has come to stop the shows is all. I feel worn out and beat down XCEL even though I know I am a young man at 36. You guys are right I just need to re think what my goals are - the competitions but who knows I may take a few yrs off and hit the shows as a masters.

But I really have been thinking if I am starting to have this much trouble at a mid thirty yr old man what am I going to be like at 50.

OOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo

You are lucky you are quitting before I put you through the ringer with my workout!!! You just made it out in time!!!!!! haahahha

Re: I guess

Fathead said:

I am not stoping the sport at all just I think my time has come to stop the shows is all. I feel worn out and beat down XCEL even though I know I am a young man at 36. You guys are right I just need to re think what my goals are - the competitions but who knows I may take a few yrs off and hit the shows as a masters.

yes , take some time off , go easy on urself , give ur body time to heal , and think about what u want to do later , evrything doesnt have to be decided right at the instant man....
u look awesome and it wud be a shame for someone like u to stop doing what u do so good ....

well, i will be 36 in may and i know how ya feel. i have had a pec tear, a complete quad rupture, a torn rotator and now vet bad tendonitis in my shoulders. but, i finally had stop and i took off a month because of the shoulders. i now realize that i can not continue the heavy rep range that i like...at least not as often. i prefer about 5 to 7 reps. i have now put them in the 10 to 13 range and sometimes higher. the intensity of "effort" is the same. i still push hard but will have to figure out techniques to keep intensity high but, let my joints have a break...as for the weight thing, why dont you just get within 20 pounds of contest weight? keep it there. that way the dieting is not so strenuous on the body. i know many guys that do just that and have a much easier time preparing for shows. all the things you have mentioned have easy solutions, now i guess it is up to you to figure what ya want to do....take some time and figure it out..btw no one stays out of this silly ass game forever lol :D

Im sure like all the others have stated, it would be best to stay within your contest weight, but Im sure you know that already. As Im in the musculoskeletal biz, let me just say that on top of all your heavy poundages and years of football, imagine what you would feel like if you didnt work out. I see it too many times, guys who use to be extremely active and cut back alot if not all and they went to shit. Its like your body demands that you do some sort of physical activity or the years of wear-and-tear decide to damage the joints instead of the muscles taking the toll.

You hit it right on the head though, I think its more the up and down of dieting and your body needs a break. Take the year off, spend more time stretching and doing relaxing activities. I bet in a couple years you will be able to do it again. I personally only compete every 2 years because I think my body needs the break.

Good luck FATHEAD.

Fathead, it's guys like you that inspire guys like me to train harder. You have guts bro, and if it's time to retire so be it, but do just take some time off 1st then rethink your position.

I like the Yoga idea myself, and it has helped me in my stress relief, as I suffer from panic & anxiety disease.

Bro ,
i am 100% right there with ya always lifting with extreme weights and ridiculous intensity has left me battle scarred beyond belief--i do not know a day without pain and i am always fearful that i will do even more damage to some of my real chronic weak spots

it is so hard to let go of the identity of being the biggest (still just about) and the strongest (not anymore due to injuries) and that is why i decided to make this my last year no matter what and just do a go for broke for a pro card or bust. i am almost 33 and have no kids yet but have plans to soon and i wonder if i can even play with them like a normal father --for this reason and a couple others i really hope to have girls cause i can't even see doing the normal roughhousing with boys (also do not want to have any temptation to create some sort of uber-male with all my knowledge and shit)

i've tried to move on and be satisfied after major injuries being just somewhat big and ultra-lean, but then the bug hits and i have to once again be the freakiest thing in existence

if you can discipline your urge for the 'spotlight' and ego of BB as we know it and desist from the training and some of the other abusive lifestyle we engage in more power to you--that is not a step back but a step forward in your evolution as a person

you can maintain a beautiful, aesthetic physique with respectable size without having to torture your body into a state of constant debilitation and pain

what you are going to do is not easy at all IMO but the wisest thing you can do for both yourself and the family you love

i hope i can step away in the not so distant future myself and engage in lifting and such in a more healthy, careful manner

Good luck

Hey Fathead , I feel you bro, I am 32 and am done gaining 50 lbs in the quest of size, and for me staying leaner year round I cut better and more impotinit feel healthy almost all of the time, except all that tendonitis shit, but my paint here is take a break and relax and see what happens I took 5 weeks off this year and most of my naggin pain is gone and I am back to 100 % strength wise. Just take a little break.. hope it works out bro. LEX

lean means shit here, for me to be big i have to lift big and although i stay under 6% all the time i feel like shit from all the heavy loads on my fairly tiny joints

i could not once ever go to the gym and not be 1000% intense, just second nature, but that shit takes a toll

we gonna pay the piper and it will only get worse the longer we stay at this level of abuse

the super-supp use don't scare me at all, it's the musculo-skeletal wear and tear that has really been the health concern

Well glad to see you have changed your mind or should I say altered your mind, mmm maybe ultered your state of mind anyway happy to see it!! I saw this right after you posted it and I didn't know what to write........I was going to call a pharmacuticle company and see if we all could get a bulk discount on some prozac or something! Maybe its just the winter blues! Anyway take some time off and reavaluate your goals/outlook and comeback and hit it!!!

HERE IS MY 2 CENTS WORTH!

FATHEAD: I AM 37 TOO. I HAVE A GOOD MEMORY FOR CERTAIN POSTS ON THE BOARDS....YOUR POSTS INDICATE YOU WOULD HAVE TAKEN YOUR PHYSIQUE FARTHER ALREADY IF YOU WERENT CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. WHEN ONE CONSIDERS YOUR BODYBUILING SUCCESSES IN THAT LIGHT...WHAT MORE DO YOU HAVE TO ACCOMPLISH? I HAVE ALWAYS HEARD ABOUT HOW MUCH POTENTIAL I HAVE....BUT, [SPIRITUAL BELIEFS] KEEP ME FROM WANTING TO DAMAGE WHAT GOD HAS GIVEN ME PHYSICALLY. I CAN JUSTIFY USING A SMALL AMOUNT OF TESTOSTERONE TO FIGHT OFF THE AGING PROCESS. HELL, EVEN A MILD AMOUNT OF STEROIDS IF I AM GETTING MY LIVER VALUES CHECKED IN ORDER TO LOOK THE WAY I WANT. I THINK IT'S GOOD TO BE BIG AND STRONG. BUT, LIKE YOU, I HAVE TO WONDER ABOUT A PROFESSIONAL BB'ER WILLING TO RUIN HIS HEALTH TO WIN A FRIGGIN SHOW. I CAN'T IMAGINE AN AMATEUR OR SOMEONE WHO JUST LIFTS TO 'GET BIG' TAKING A HUGE AMOUNT OF DRUGS WITHOUT CONSIDERING WHAT IT'S DOING TO THEIR HEALTH. THE FELLAS URGING YOU TO TAKE A BREAK MAY BE RIGHT ON....BUT, WHEN I LOOK AT YOUR PICS I'LL BET YOU ARE SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T GET REAL FAT IN THE BULKING STAGES. WHEN I HEAR YOU TALK ABOUT DIETING AND LOSING A BUNCH OF WEIGHT, I GET THE FEELING IT'S NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE A FAT ASS, IT'S BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE THE BIGGEST GUY IN A LIGHTER WEIGHT CLASS. I FOUND THAT WHEN I TRULY GOT LEAN ENOUGH TO HAVE STRIATIONS ON MY ASS [MY GOAL IN MY LAST SHOW] THAT I HAD NEVER REALLY DIETED BEFORE. THAT WAS THE HARDEST THING I'D EVER DONE. MY LEFT EAR WAS RINGING AND I HADN'T HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT IN ABOUT 3DAYS. I DON'T SEE MANY GUYS WHO GET AS LEAN AS YOU DO. EVEN ON THE PRO LEVEL.....LOOK AT THE STIR THAT BAUTISA GUY FROM SPAIN CAUSED WHEN HE SHOWED UP FREAKY LEAN, TOMMI THORVILDSON HAS SOME WEAKNESSES, YET GETS SO DAMN LEAN HE'S HARD TO IGNORE.....GASPARI, RENEL JANVIER....GUYS WHO GET FREAKY LEAN BURN OUT. YOU ARE A SMART GUY.......LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND DON'T GET SOME WICKED INJURY. I THINK YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE BY STAYING LIKE YOU ARE AND NOT GOING FOR THE CURRENT PRO LOOK....THAT BIG GUT CRAP ISN'T WORTH WHATEVER MUSCLE THEY GAINED FROM IT.:cool:

Thanks Guys

I appreciate the input but really I see some health problems down the road I am not really discussing. I had a friend die recently at 42 years old, I have not seen him in years but he was an NFL lineman for 10 yrs. The doctor told his wife his heart attack was the accumulation of his lifestyle in the NFL i:e: the juice heavy lifting overeating of protein that took yrs off his life.

I am not saying that is the only reason he had a heart attack but there is scientific studies that show especially with NFL linemen ,pro powerlifters and strong men die earlier than most men in their age bracket. Look at Arnold 52 and had to have bypass surgery.
Like I said before as well I have done this a long time 15 yrs without a break it's not like I just started and after having my little girl it just does not seem worth it.

I think it's just time I lee Haney it and stay a healthy 200 lbs yr round but inmy head that will be very hard to do.

BTW JT I once went totally blind onstage and thats how it started ringing ears and all. I could hear the MC I just could not see shit lucky I was not called out till last and I finally snapped out of it.

Look at BIG LOU when he was 43...6'5" 310 solid ripped pounds

I understand you do not want to live the rest of you life in pain...whatever choice you make make it for you and your family.

it's hard as hell becoming and staying king shit
even harder to voluntarily give up the throne

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear