over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ian McCarthy and Dave Pulcinella discuss BroScience vs Hard Science

Mike Pulcinella

Banned
Registered
Recently, one of my videos was criticized by Ian McCarthy of "No Bullshit Bodybuilding" for containing "broscience".

The value of "broscience" vs hard science is a hot topic in the bodybuilding community right now.

I invited Ian and my brother David Pulcinella to sit down and discuss the latest scientific studies, the value of experience, meal frequency, exercise form and other topics relevant to building muscle and losing fat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3c52PQATY]The Great Bodybuilding Debate - Ian McCarthy and Dave Pulcinella discuss BroScience vs Hard Science - YouTube[/ame]

Everyone should watch this. This kid has some really great points. Its easy to slam him or knock him because he is skinny but that really doesn't mean anything. He and Dave both agree on several of the same myths. Its a good watch and please watch it with an open mind and don't start off by saying the kid doesn't know what he is talking about because he is only 150lbs (With a pocket full of rocks).

Recently, one of my videos was criticized by Ian McCarthy of "No Bullshit Bodybuilding" for containing "broscience".

The value of "broscience" vs hard science is a hot topic in the bodybuilding community right now.

I invited Ian and my brother David Pulcinella to sit down and discuss the latest scientific studies, the value of experience, meal frequency, exercise form and other topics relevant to building muscle and losing fat.

The Great Bodybuilding Debate - Ian McCarthy and Dave Pulcinella discuss BroScience vs Hard Science - YouTube

What are the kids credentials?

This is a great interview. They both argue great points and the skinny kid knows his information, but the experience from Dave kind of proves some relevant points that has little research or full science behind it.

ill watch this after i get some sleep .. been up 36 hours

but the biggest reason for broscience is there is so little real science
done that relates to hardcore bodybuilding if any

intrestign debate. still to young to understand that the majority of nutrition, and exercise in any sport or fitness for that matter, has been based upon trial and error or broscience, which sparked the reason for a scientific study to be done.

Even though most of what he says is correct, Ian still annoys the living shit out of me. He needs to spend more time in the gym and less time reading studies.

I have a degree in Biochemistry and spend lots of free time reading up on the newest nutritional/sports training research. In the end, there's still A LOT that we do not know/science has not proven. If you spend the years in the gym, experimenting with different routines, experimenting with your diet, you will be better off than the nerd that has read thousands of studies. I can attest for this first hand. I have a 450 pound raw bench and 600 pound squat @ 8% bodyfat, and very little of what I've accomplished is because of science/research.

Its always funny to me all the things as bodybuilders we do all the time with no second though to build a better physique 90% of it comes from 'bro-science' hard science is a guide but hardly ever an absolute truth.
But we have people who want to sling this term and beat people over the head with it as if suddenly because a person cant show a study from pub med that their hypothesis or methods suddenly have no merrit...now they are dubbed bro science.
Funny thing is if you look at the people who sling that term about most of the time they lack any real results...all their hard science has done not a whole lot to further their progress....most of the time they wield the term against people with more experience and more results in a ass backwards attempt to sound as if they are master of the universe when in reality the opposite is closer to the truth...their is no book or rules when it comes to boudbuilding, hard science can tell us a lot but its not always going to make you a smarter bodybuilder.

I am more bothered by the science obsessed guys than the broscience guys, even though some brosciense is downright obnoxious.
The guys spouting off studies constantly are usually not impressive when it comes to their physique. Sometimes its best to keep it simple and just get the damn results.

What are the kids credentials?

That's what I'm curious about also, this kid reads things off OTHERS and does hardly any research for himself , honestly he talks to experts like Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, Layne Norton etc, then tries to act like he knows it all/ has some sort of cocky attitude. He simply reads too much and gathers all this information , I guess he's somewhat of a walking knowledge of this type of info who has learned it through others. While we all do this and learn from others like John Meadows, Shelby, Phil, etc we don't carry around the sort of attitude this kid has and act like we know it all or bash others for misinformation .

Most of the broscience is from people who just went out and did shit before the internet/communities existed and we learned what worked it might not have been optimal or necessary but it worked! Nowadays I think some of these people just spend most of their time looking for all these different ways to make things better and try to do everything perfect , by science, while this is needed to learn and everything this kid has way to much of an attitude.

Pictures of the "kid":

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Good Vid. I enjoy Dave's passion and admire him for not being condescending.

To me, BBing is like any other sport:
Take it from the people who have done it.
Do what they say. Period
Your results vary depending on your talent level, but will be better than doing what you're "supposed" to do, learned from a book.

It was like this for Oly Lifting and Track and Field for me. Listen to Olympic Champions, World Record Holders, people who've done it. Guaranteed to get you there faster than doing it yourself.

You can figure out WHY it works, later. If you're interested.

Gonna watch this later, can't get sound right now on my phone.
sazo Are Lyle mc Donald and Layne Norton considered experts on here? Just curious?

Last edited:
Gonna watch this later, can't get sound right now on my phone.
sazo Are Lyle mc Donald and Layne Norton considered experts on here? Just curious?

Hmm if by " on here" you mean on this message board I'm almost positive they've never posted on this message board before, if you mean that I consider them experts in general then yes that is true you cant deny their credentials and all that the information they have came out with, I definitely have learned a lot from the two , and have used Layne as a prep coach .

Its always funny to me all the things as bodybuilders we do all the time with no second though to build a better physique 90% of it comes from 'bro-science' hard science is a guide but hardly ever an absolute truth.

You should have said 90% comes from genetics and drugs. lol

I wouldn't hate on the kids physique, he doesn't look bad at all for a 19 year old that is probably drug free.

Glad everyone enjoyed this! I thought it was an interesting conversation, with good points made by both.

Even though most of what he says is correct, Ian still annoys the living shit out of me. He needs to spend more time in the gym and less time reading studies.

I have a degree in Biochemistry and spend lots of free time reading up on the newest nutritional/sports training research. In the end, there's still A LOT that we do not know/science has not proven..

I couldn't agree My old roommate had an endo degree and would argue all sorts of points based on studies that go no higher then 600mg/wk

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws