over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

If you can read a book or watch tv while doing cardio...WTF

Massive G

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Do you guys ever get tired of seeing people walking slowly for what seems to be hours on end on a treadmill?
I have 2 girls that asked me for help to burn fat as they were disgruntled on the weight gain after they gave birth, and had been doing hours of cardio a week. I switched them to 2 sessions of HIT at 5 minutes of 30 second bursts and 10 seconds rest for 2 sessions a day and they have lost 12 lbs of fat in a month.
My own personal choice of cardion is tabatas style on the elliptical 20 second blast 10 second rest (although I still step slowly) and it works great on cardiac conditioning and fat loss.

What type of cardio do you guys prefer are you a walker, talker, or just all out blast?

I have always done low intensity long duration cardio, on empty stomach. 30-60 minutes, always read magazines and watched tv. Gosh it's boring. But it is effective.

I alwas figured hiit cardio was alot like lifting, the energy source for both is glycogen, and I figure my heart is plenty conditioned from squats/legpresses, so I feel for me there is not need for that style cardio.

Last edited:
Do you guys ever get tired of seeing people walking slowly for what seems to be hours on end on a treadmill?
I have 2 girls that asked me for help to burn fat as they were disgruntled on the weight gain after they gave birth, and had been doing hours of cardio a week. I switched them to 2 sessions of HIT at 5 minutes of 30 second bursts and 10 seconds rest for 2 sessions a day and they have lost 12 lbs of fat in a month.
My own personal choice of cardion is tabatas style on the elliptical 20 second blast 10 second rest (although I still step slowly) and it works great on cardiac conditioning and fat loss.

What type of cardio do you guys prefer are you a walker, talker, or just all out blast?

Hey MG. How are you.

For me personally, I walk outside around the neighborhood for 40-45 minutes per-contest only as I love breathing fresh air (always fasted)...never anything intense. But for people I work with..man it varies a ton. Some people just don't get shit out of steady state cardio, and have to do more HIT. Those people i like to put on an eliptical and have them go balls out for 10 seconds, then cruise for 50 seconds. One round is 1 minute. 25 minutes of that whoops some ass. Others, if they do any remotely hard cardio strips muscle off their terdrop and quad sweep like it's going out of business....there are a few who need absolutely no cardio...

so my answer of course...depends on the person!

JM

I prefer to sprint. Actually at LA fitness now and when aerobics room is empty I sprint back and forth twice then jog once length room and repeat for certain amount of time.

hiit on stairmaster done and over after 15-20 mins or so..

Hit and Tabata, steady state seem very ineffective for me. Sprints or stepper for me. I wish i had a prowler, or weight sled i'd incorporate those.

I see college kids in my gym all the time. Smart idea... read a book for class and be on the bike. Why not?

:lightbulb:

I like roughly 20 mins, fast walk on 15 degree incline. Get the pulse up to about 130 (mine is about 65 resting these days) and keep it there.
I don't like the pounding my joints take from running. Even on a mill.

i use my ipad to watch a movie or tv show when doing cardio. i keep my heart rate around 135 varying intensity. helps time fly. 30-45 min

30-40min of low intensity cardio cardio on a treadmill for me. Usually 3.5-4 mph on an incline, enough to get my heart rate up to 120-130 bpm. When it gets a little warmer out I prefer a fast walk around my town instead.

i switch between low intensity on the elliptical (30-45 mins) and HIT (15 seconds balls out, 45 seconds cruise) on a bike.

after high carb days i do a little of both. works like a charm BUT i do have to admit, low intensity is boring as hell. i NEED a tv on or a book to read

I like low intensity but as soon as it warms up here I plan on doing some sprinting/hiit style to give me something new.

30-40min of low intensity cardio cardio on a treadmill for me. Usually 3.5-4 mph on an incline, enough to get my heart rate up to 120-130 bpm. When it gets a little warmer out I prefer a fast walk around my town instead.
:yeahthat: :)

Same here too...me and the wife like a nice walk for about 45-60 minutes when the weather gets nice. HIT cardio makes my legs fade away, I can't have any of that for sure.

Same here too...me and the wife like a nice walk for about 45-60 minutes when the weather gets nice. HIT cardio makes my legs fade away, I can't have any of that for sure.

Same here, we go first thing in the morning when the weather permits. For 30-40 minutes before our breakfast. The fresh air and sun sure beats being another sardine in the gym with 50 other people on the treadmill while a bank of 10 TVs is screaming at me with BS programming.

Because of hip (Replacement coming next week) and Heart I'm limited to recumbant bike and Tv or Books are easy and make the time pass. My heart rate is 120 to 130 at the most. I feel its 85% effective for my "heart health" exercise but I do not delude myself that it makes my cardiovascularly fit for other more demanding sports. This type training does not prepare me for racquetball or squash in the least whereas the higher intensity interval/recovery training seems to.

I also supplement this by taking gf/dogs to the park for an hour walk etc. on days weather permits.

Last edited:
Walking the Dog

The only cardio I do is walking my hyper Jack Russell 3-4 times a day. I avg 4 mph (15 min miles) so I try to do 30 min (2 miles) each walk- good for both of us. Closer to springtime I may try your style in the gym, but I'm afraid my legs will suffer if I'm not careful.

Anyone that wants to measure their outside walks exactly should try this cool Google Maps tool- just click around the path you go and get the mileage:

Gmaps Pedometer

Hit and Tabata, steady state seem very ineffective for me. Sprints or stepper for me. I wish i had a prowler, or weight sled i'd incorporate those.

TABATA IS INSANE lol... i tried it a while back and it was intense! by far my fav cardio.

Would some of say that if cardio has to make or break you for getting in stage shape or lean enough that there is a hole in your eating or training?? Or do we do cardio to increase are hunger aka so we can eat more food?

Yes, I do cardio (so, I am not a hater on it), but nothing crazy because as a former runner, I was never as lean as I am now! Food first, resistance training second, and cardio only if needed lastly. Once that gets reversed, I think we have a problem, unless you are training for a marathon or road race :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws