advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

if you had shoulder surgery, how long was your recovery?

Real Steele

Registered
Going in next monday to get looked at. At first I thought I just had sore winny joints during contest prep. I tried rehabbing during my 8 week prep recovery I always do. My shoulder now aches a lot and strength is diminishing in it.

Obviously I dont know for sure the extent of injury until they look at it, but I am curious of your experiences. injury, how long out, did it ever feel better... any info that may ease my mind LOL

Both shoulders done rotator cuff repairs.
First at 40 second at 43. Did deadlift only meet 9 months out with a pr on first one and full power meet 10 months out on second one with squat and bench prs.
Surgeon kept me out of work on second shoulder 7 months.

If they scope you figure a month before you can start chest and shoulder work. If they cut you open it could be months

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Had rotator cuff done in February, started working out 4 months after surgery, got clearance at 6 months. Your sounds like mine, with the reduced strength, I found it very uncomfortable while laying in bed, this was the first question my doc asked me.

Separated AC joint on a heavy incline barbell press. Thank God for a good spotter. It hurt like hell for a week or two before getting checked out. Surgery then rehab about 3 months if I remember. Never had a problem since.

I had some rotator cuff work done and bicep tendon repair, I was told that it would take 1 year before it got as strong as it will get, but for me I think before all the stiffness is gone it will be 2 years, I was told no sports for 6 months, I started slowly training at 5 months, and im talking about doing decline presses with just the bar,lol,im a hell of a lot better than I was before I had it done, my only regret is not getting it done a year earlier, good luck to ya bro, work hard in rehab

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I wanted to tell you I am having similar issues myself. Started back in July. It felt like I pulled or tweaked my shoulder when it was doing wide grip pull-ups. Then a month later I was doing circus dumbbell presses and made it worse. For the past couple of months I have been going to physical therapy and acupuncture. At first it only bothered me after training. Now it is starting to bother me on off days and yes when I am sleeping as well. I have not really lifted hard the past few months and not at all the past few weeks. Feels a bit better. Loading up on msm turmeric and broma, glucosamine etc. have to go back to doc. Might try a cortisone shot and if that does not work might have to consider surgery as well. Heard so many nightmare stories etc so being very careful. I can't afford to be out of commission for months.

Last edited:
I tore my lower pec from the bone. If there is one thing I learned its that you should never rush the recovery period, regardless of how eager you might be. Take time and let your body heal properly. You will be thanking yourself later!

Just had my labrum repaired two weeks ago. In a sling for two more weeks - then rehab. Interested to see more responses in the thread.

Complete shoulder reconstruction, labrum, rotator cuff, ac joint. I was out for 1 yr 3 months

Sounds like this could suck big time. Praying for arthroscopic!

Mine was arthroscopic and still took 4 months just to start lifting 5lbs and 6 months to clearance. Shoulders are one bodypart that just takes time to fully heal. I tore my tricep completely off three years earlier and had the reattachment surgery and took only 8 weeks to get full clearance and that tricep is stronger than my unsurgically attached tri. If you want to be anything close to what you were before tearing, get the surgery and bite the bullet, otherwise you will have lighter workouts and pain for the rest of your life. I'm not real young (46) and still decided right away to do the surgery as working out to my best is important to me. Muscle has memory and you will be back in full form eventually.

12 years ago. Went to a Dr that was a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. Had his own practice, and was the head Dr. for the university orthopedic sports medicine dept. Dealt with many collegiate and pro athletes. I had 2 rotator muscles reattached. As well as a ruptured biceps taken care of.The Dr said it would be 18 months till the were fully graphed back on. Originally he said 3 months till I should start lifting with that arm. But he said to keep training the rest of the body. And training the good arm would keep the injured one from from atrophying as much and would keep the nerves functioning as well. Backs up what I had read else were. 5 days after the surgery back in the gym. Only doing rehab work for the injured shoulder along with stretching several times a day. 8 week s later the Dr said I could start training the repaired arm(as he knew I was doing some stuff anyway) as I was healing much faster then normal. 8 months later back to full power but I didn't push it ever work out for awhile till I felt confident. wish I had done it sooner.

Had a partial shoulder replacment on my other shoulder last december. back in the gym 2 weeks later training the parts i could. longer healing on this one. most of my back and chest work is in the mid 200 lb range for higher reps then i used to go. people tell me how great i look all the time, but it aint what it was 10-20 years ago!

Had labrum repaired in right shoulder. It was 6 months til I was cleared to workout heavy and a year before i was back to normal.

Had labrum, bicep tendon repair, and some bone spurs and loose pieces floating around removed. Strong as ever by a year after, although I need a bit more warming up and mobility work than before. Be dedicated to your rehab and it'll go good. Some of the people I saw in PT were... Unmotivated... To say the least.

Had labrum, bicep tendon repair, and some bone spurs and loose pieces floating around removed. Strong as ever by a year after, although I need a bit more warming up and mobility work than before. Be dedicated to your rehab and it'll go good. Some of the people I saw in PT were... Unmotivated... To say the least.

Im really hoping its something they can do arthrascopic... Im probably a ways off though since my first doc visit is Monday. Then he will refer me to an ortho most likely and then mri and then make a decision... I know something is not right, Im hoping they can just hurry it up!!

Staff online

• Bio
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic