over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

IGF1 and insulin sensitivity

sciroxx-lab

Verified Sponsor
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sponsors
IGF1 is known as possibly the most anabolic hormone in the body, how ever not many are aware to its health benefits, especially pertaining insulin sensitivity. Modern western diet, as well as the feeding regimes of many bodybuilders creates an overburden on the pancreas due to the demand to cope with a surplus in calories (especially carbs and proteins, which raise sharply insulin levels), this leads with time to reduced insulin sensitivity, the constantly high insulin levels simply reduce the sensitivity of different tissues (mainly muscle and fat) to insulin.
There is also a common (dangerous) practice used by many bodybuilders to incorporate exogenous insulin to help and process these surpluses and try to force "extra" growth by this overfeeding, but this harms even more the insulin sensitivity and leads to insulin resistance syndrome.

IGF1 raises directly insulin sensitivity, and helps the body to process and use much more efficiently its own insulin

The work with IGF1 is simple and easy to monitor (IGF1-lr3is the preferred choice as it has the longest half life so most favorable metabolic effect ), the basic protocol is 20-30mcg before the main meal of the day, preferably post workout, and it may be used efficiently this way year round.

To take advantage over the full anabolic effect of the IGF1 higher dosages are required (50-150mcg a day), but then it's advised to cycle the usage in 4 weeks on/4 weeks off protocol

IGF1 really shines along with GH usage, they offer a synergistic anabolic and anti catabolic effects, but just like explained above they compliment each other very well metabolically, as GH raises directly the glucose levels (and with time this lowers insulin sensitivity), while IGF1 lowers the glucose levels to low healthy levels and restores insulin sensitivity

This is a great post. I want to chime in and say that a while back, I used some of sciroxx's IGF-1 for this specific purpose and it worked wonders. It lowered my fasted glucose levels and it did it fast. I was using 25-30mcg daily. At low dosages, and for this purpose of improving insulin sensitivity, I think IGF-1 can a great addition. This is a very refreshing post.

Sciroxx, you talked about the possibility of using it year round at 20-30mcg daily. I had never thought about that for fear of staying on too long. Do you think this (using it year round) would safe from a health perspective?

This is a great post. I want to chime in and say that a while back, I used some of sciroxx's IGF-1 for this specific purpose and it worked wonders. It lowered my fasted glucose levels and it did it fast. I was using 25-30mcg daily. At low dosages, and for this purpose of improving insulin sensitivity, I think IGF-1 can a great addition. This is a very refreshing post.

Sciroxx, you talked about the possibility of using it year round at 20-30mcg daily. I had never thought about that for fear of staying on too long. Do you think this (using it year round) would safe from a health perspective?

What changes in body composition did you notice at that dose?

What changes in body composition did you notice at that dose?

Not much, but maybe a bit leaner. I was on low carbs and already leaning out when I added the IGF-1 so hard to tell. I added it to lower fasted glucose to be honest. It was lingering in the high 80's, low 90's if I remember correctly, and it went down a few points in a few days. It worked great for this purpose.

Here is some scientific literature which reviews the synergistic effect between GH and IGF, and clearly shows the favorable effect of IGF1 on insulin sensitivity -

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8853443 GH may exert metabolic effects either directly or indirectly through increased production of IGF-I. GH administration increases circulating IGF-I levels via stimulation of hepatic synthesis and secretion of IGF-I; it may also enhance local IGF-I synthesis, which exerts paracrine or autocrine effects. Figure 2 summarizes the metabolic effects of GH and IGF-I. Administration of GH and IGF-I in adult humans has been demonstrated to enhance protein anabolism. Combined administration of GH and IGF-I was observed to be more anabolic than either IGF-I or GH alone. Evidence is presented that protein accretion results mainly from direct effects of GH on tissues; additional indirect effects via IGF-I production are also likely. Administration of GH has been reported to produce carbohydrate intolerance with elevated plasma insulin levels, resulting from insulin resistance. in contrast, insulin sensitivity increased during administration of IGF-I, which exerts hypoglycaemic effects even with concomitant suppression of insulin secretion. A major direct metabolic effect of GH is to increase fat mobilization and oxidation, and thereby to reduce total body fat; there is no evidence that IGF-I acts directly on adipose tissue in vivo. GH administration results in sodium retention via stimulation of Na-K-ATPase. It is suggested that part of the effects of GH on tubular function (e.g. phosphate reabsorption) are mediated via IGF-I. Energy expenditure may be increased by administration of either GH or relatively high doses of IGF-I. One of the reasons for this phenomenon is an increase in lean body mass; GH may increase energy expenditure additionally be enhancing the production of T3 and by increasing lipid oxidation

Why use it year round is my question? I would much rather and it's safer to use Metformin or Berberine year round, though many may disagree. I know Carl will.

Last edited:
Why use it year round is my question? I would much rather and it's safer to use Metformin or Berberine year round, though many may disagree. I know Carl will.

Brother - Metformin harms physical performance and some anabolic pathways, it's a remedy to increase insulin sensitivity, not to increase size, strangth, power or physical appearance,

IGF1 may and should be run year round if GH is in use, this is not a recommendation for the natural bodybuilder

Berberine, like other supplements, are anyhow recommended, especially if suffer form raised glucose levels, BUT of course you can't compare their effect to IGF1, and if one is using GH then IGF1 should be incorporated, look at the science evidence quoted above

Plenty of people utilize metformin while taking growth....I don't put much stock in the whole thing. If I was an athlete who was trying to win a championship or a ring....maybe I wouldn't use it, but many BBers use Met with great results which can't be denied.

Plenty of people utilize metformin while taking growth....I don't put much stock in the whole thing. If I was an athlete who was trying to win a championship or a ring....maybe I wouldn't use it, but many BBers use Met with great results which can't be denied.

Indeed Metformin is an effective and friendly drug for increasing inculin sensitivity, there is no deny here brother, what I tried to base here is that IGF1 should be the drug of choice to achieve optimal growth and performance

Hereinafter are a couple of other scientific based data to support the unique synergistic effect of GH and IGF1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9129466
------------conclusions -
GH and IGF-I combined further enhanced fat oxidation while reducing protein catabolism. Serum insulin concentrations were significantly increased by GH but decreased by IGF-I. GH significantly decreased serum total triiodothyronine concentrations and IGF-I significantly decreased serum corticosterone concentrations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10571453
-----------results and conclusions
RESULTS:
Administration of IGF-I, but not GH, attenuates dexamethasone-induced protein catabolism and increases insulin sensitivity. Simultaneous treatment with GH and IGF-I additively increases the serum concentration of IGF-I, whole-body anabolism, and lipid oxidation. GH or IGF-I when given alone produces similar increases in the serum concentration of IGF-I. However, GH selectively increases skeletal muscle mass whereas IGF-I selectively attenuates the intestinal atrophy and abnormal intestinal ion transport induced by TPN. These tissue-selective anabolic effects of GH and IGF-I are associated with differential increases in protein synthesis in skeletal muscle and jejunum, respectively.
CONCLUSIONS:
Simultaneous treatment with GH and IGF-I may offer the greatest clinical efficacy because of improved nitrogen retention in association with enhanced lipid oxidation and stimulation of protein synthesis in multiple tissue types.

To take advantage over the full anabolic effect of the IGF1 higher dosages are required (50-150mcg a day), but then it's advised to cycle the usage in 4 weeks on/4 weeks off protocol

Would a 5 day off 2 day on post workout 100-150mcg or such work as well? Or is it just 4wk on/off?

Let's say if u have 2 hard days on body parts you want to improve.

Last edited:
1. Is the increased insulin sensitivity always a good thing? How long does it last?

2. Does the increased IGF1-LR3 cause a corresponding decrease in Cortisol?

I took IGF1-LR3 for a short period of time (less than 2 months), and it was great. I felt a little bit hypo at times, especially when sleeping at night (horrible night sweats). After coming off the IGF-1, I now have elevated fasting blood glucose that stays consistently between 100 and 120. BUT, during the day my blood glucose 2 hours after meals is anywhere from 70-90ish.

So I currently have great blood glucose during the day in response to meals, which makes me think my insulin sensitivity is probably just really good at the moment. But, I can't figure out why my fasting glucose is so high. Maybe my pancreas is over compensating and making extra glucose - and since I don't have insulin secreted at night because I'm not eating, it is causing the rise in blood sugar.

Or as another member pointed out - possibly high cortisol in the morning, causing the high fasted glucose.

Any ideas? Was also on 2iu GH and 1 gram of Metformin during that time.

Thanks in advance!
JH

Also, wanted to add that my doses were 25-50mcg post workout (6 days per week).

1. Is the increased insulin sensitivity always a good thing? How long does it last?

2. Does the increased IGF1-LR3 cause a corresponding decrease in Cortisol?

I took IGF1-LR3 for a short period of time (less than 2 months), and it was great. I felt a little bit hypo at times, especially when sleeping at night (horrible night sweats). After coming off the IGF-1, I now have elevated fasting blood glucose that stays consistently between 100 and 120. BUT, during the day my blood glucose 2 hours after meals is anywhere from 70-90ish.

So I currently have great blood glucose during the day in response to meals, which makes me think my insulin sensitivity is probably just really good at the moment. But, I can't figure out why my fasting glucose is so high. Maybe my pancreas is over compensating and making extra glucose - and since I don't have insulin secreted at night because I'm not eating, it is causing the rise in blood sugar.

Or as another member pointed out - possibly high cortisol in the morning, causing the high fasted glucose.

Any ideas? Was also on 2iu GH and 1 gram of Metformin during that time.

Thanks in advance!
JH

Would a 5 day off 2 day on post workout 100-150mcg or such work as well? Or is it just 4wk on/off?

Let's say if u have 2 hard days on body parts you want to improve.

IGF1 should be taken consistently 4 weeks, no use and no proven protocol to take it 5 days on 2 days off

Also, wanted to add that my doses were 25-50mcg post workout (6 days per week).

1. Increased insulin sensitivity is always a good thing, as this means that the insulin works much more efficiently in shuttling nutrition into the "hungry" proper cells

2. IGF1-LR3 doesn't lower cortisol levels but negate (to a healthy degree) its catabolic effects

I always liked it for joint healing aspects.

Maybe you can run lantus longer with igf1?

I always liked it for joint healing aspects.

Both GH and IGF1 promote the strengthening of connective tissue, ligaments health, and rehabilitation.

First they promote collagen synthesis through fibroblasts activation

Second as anabolic hormones they promote mineral accumulation both systemically and of course in the connective tissues

Third the trigger directly the section of local (paracrine) growth factors both in muscle and connective tissues

Both GH and IGF1 promote the strengthening of connective tissue, ligaments health, and rehabilitation.

First they promote collagen synthesis through fibroblasts activation

Second as anabolic hormones they promote mineral accumulation both systemically and of course in the connective tissues

Third the trigger directly the section of local (paracrine) growth factors both in muscle and connective tissues

Do you ever get complaints of joint pain while on gh. On a generic now and it’s worse then it’s ever been, only in the knees. Why would that be ya think?

Do you ever get complaints of joint pain while on gh. On a generic now and it’s worse then it’s ever been, only in the knees. Why would that be ya think?

It's not typical, but may happen and may stem from various reasons, what other products you combine with it (AAS and general) ?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131