over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Imagery training makes calf muscles stronger

nfernoo

Banned
Imagery training makes calf muscles stronger

You can train muscles just by thinking about training. If you take the time to sit and imagine that you are doing, let's say, bench presses with an enormous weight, then your pecs, delts and triceps will automatically become stronger. Dutch researchers in Groningen published results of a study in which an imagined training routine turned out to be even more effective than really training muscles.

Ok, we admit, there's training and training...

The Dutch researchers studied the effects of imagery training because they were looking for a way to keep muscles strong in people recovering from a serious bone break – a broken ankle, for example. If you cannot exercise for a long period you lose muscle strength and mass. If imagery training can help lessen this, it would be a help.

The researchers did an experiment with students. One group did half an hour of low-intensity calf muscle training five times a week for seven weeks. The subjects had to lie on a mat with their legs stretched out, and then push with their toes against the wall without moving from where they lay. They repeated this fifty times each training session.

The other group of subjects watched a video of someone doing calf raises with a barbell. While watching the subjects had to imagine that they were training their calves like this themselves.

After seven weeks the researchers measured the amount of strength the test subjects were capable of developing in their calves.

In the subjects that had done the low-intensity training, the strength of their calf muscles increased by eleven percent. In the subjects who had done imagery training, the calf muscle strength increased by thirty percent. So the imagery training was more effective than the 'real' training.

Imagery training probably works because thinking about exercise teaches the brain how to communicate the message to the muscles. If you've never done serious training, large amounts of your muscle fibres don't react when you start to require new things of them. It's as though they are not wired up to your brain. Imagery training helps the brain to make the connection that's needed.

The Dutch are not the only ones who have discovered this. Researchers at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in the US published an article five years ago in Neuropsychologia describing a study in which test subjects increased the strength in their biceps and little finger muscles by thinking about training. [Neuropsychologia. 2004;42(7):944-56.] And the power of mind over body doesn't only make you stronger; it can also make you slimmer. Psychologist Ellen Langer demonstrated two years ago that people can lose a kilogram in a month by thinking more positively about their lifestyle. [livescience.com 07 February 2007]

So let's assume that imagery training works.

Perhaps it's a stupid question, but if you work in a gym and spend the whole time looking at people training, are you likely to become over trained?

This rules. hurr durrr I never have to do squats again, I'll just watch videos.

I use my mental powers to make me believe I look better than I do.

...where did i put my tin hat?

Certainly doesn't work for penis growth!!!

Although sometimes I get a boner??

Guess that explains why my workouts are so much better after watcing videos of Big Ron in his prime training hard and heavy.

lmao yeah we all laugh - there is some shred if truth. As you need a strong mind to build a strong body. Discipline , focus , patience all can get a boost from visualization . All are goals begin in our minds. If you dream it! If you are willing to sweat bleed etc then eventually you will be what you see in your mind .However - the hard smart work is what gets us there

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

does this have to do with the "mind to muscle connection"?

Shit my legs are sore, as I was typing this I imagined I was squatting.

Last edited:
does this have to do with the "mind to muscle connection"?

All kidding aside , I think it does . Yes on the surface we are all poking fun, but imagery is important . Even like actively flexing your calves frequently will help with mind muscle as you will program you mind to be more concious of flexing the calf . So when you are doing calf raises you just aren't merely moving the stack up and down - as with all muscles you should conciously force a contraction during the concentric phase of each rep . You will make progress somewhat on that alone if normally you overlook this detail

Even during my decades of martial art training visualization can be an important part if training. Like I used to actively / physically practice 4-8 hours day, that include solo , class and teaching . Seminars could be all day. Sometimes as I worked on a novel concept after my body was exhausted I could still practice in my mind. The brain and nervous system will still understand visualization as practice . While imagining doing chins with 45 plate for 15 Reps will never grow more fibers lol , it will program your mind to accept this as reality , help with focus and concentration so when you do for real - it can enhance your effort .
I train 5am . I wake at 2-3am eat breakfast , then relax while fir digest food - many times I meditate which includes me imagining in my mind the upcoming workout . I'll imagine each exercise of course I don't go through 20 sets imagining , but I'll do set rep by rep of few exercises, imagine the pump , the weight I plan to pull. How it feels to focus while I lower a weight and or raise it explosive. At first it seems tedious and takes effort , but with practices becomes easy.

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear