YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Improve cholesterol numbers without statins?

Statins save lives. There are lots of studies showing one weird thing or another, so much so that you can get lost. However at the end of the day, the real stat that matters is this. Since the creation of statins, heart attacks and deaths from cardiac causes are down dramatically. The rest is signal and noise. Ask an epidemiologist and they will put it into perspective.

Might want to do more research. Everything you said here is exactly the opposite. It's possibly the most incorrect post I have ever seen here on Pro M. Statins kill more people than they save. I'm only pointing this out so people don't read this post and think anything you are saying is accurate, because it couldn't be any more inaccurate.

Last edited:
Here are my #'s Ref Range

Total Cholesterol: 274 125-200
HDL: 37 > or = 40
LDL: 186 <150
Triglycerides: 255 <130

CHOL/HDLC RATIO: 7.4
NON HDL CHOL: 237

Glucose: 60 (I take Metformin which lowers blood sugar) 65-99 ref range

AST: 42 10 - 40
ALT: 61 9 - 46

As I said earlier, I had been on tren a for about 8 weeks at 300mg/week and had been off for 2.5-3 weeks. Don't know if that would skew the #'s any

How bad is this? How concerned should I be?

I don't like your triglyceride number... when I was mid cycle my hdl and ldl numbers were almost identical but my triglycerides were 66. The only thing I could suggest is eat less fruit if you are having more than a couple pieces a day, less starchy foods and no alcohol... don't know your exact diet but if you are partaking in too much of those it may be why. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in but hope the info was useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like your triglyceride number... when I was mid cycle my hdl and ldl numbers were almost identical but my triglycerides were 66. The only thing I could suggest is eat less fruit if you are having more than a couple pieces a day, less starchy foods and no alcohol... don't know your exact diet but if you are partaking in too much of those it may be why. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in but hope the info was useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't drink, haven't in 11 yrs.
The only fruit I eat are strawberries and blue berries, probably 1C a day
Have a piece of toast in the morning.
My diet consists of eggs, chicken breast, ground turkey, veggies, whey protein shakes, coffee, water, cottage cheese, cheese, nuts and nut butters, honey.
That's pretty much the brunt of my diet. I may have a potato or pancakes once a week
I don't party, have a 6 yr old and a 2.5 yr old, those days are a decade behind me.

Reading up on cholesterol and triglycerides, they recommend that blood work be done in a 9-12 hour fasted state. I had my blood drawn at 11am and had already eaten breakfast, my intra shake (Karboload with 15g EAA), post workout shake (50g protein) and eaten lunch (7oz ground turkey and nut butter) and a large coffee

Don't know how much, or even IF that would skew the #'s

Reading up on cholesterol and triglycerides, they recommend that blood work be done in a 9-12 hour fasted state. I had my blood drawn at 11am and had already eaten breakfast, my intra shake (Karboload with 15g EAA), post workout shake (50g protein) and eaten lunch (7oz ground turkey and nut butter) and a large coffee

New data suggests earting before a test isn't as bad as they first thought. However that's a lot of food so it could definitely effects results. Definitely get things retested whilst fasted.

New data suggests earting before a test isn't as bad as they first thought. However that's a lot of food so it could definitely effects results. Definitely get things retested whilst fasted.

Forgot to mention I did take 3iu GH pre workout also
Don't know if that would affect it

Actually yes triglycerides can be affected dramatically after eating a meal. The rest of the lipids I don't think are as affected.

Actually yes triglycerides can be affected dramatically after eating a meal. The rest of the lipids I don't think are as affected.
What are your thoughts on HDL and LDL #'s?

Not that bad? Obviously I need to work on them but they're much better than they were 5 months ago.

I will get bw done in a fasted state to see where numbers are soon

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

What are your thoughts on HDL and LDL #'s?

Not that bad? Obviously I need to work on them but they're much better than they were 5 months ago.

I will get bw done in a fasted state to see where numbers are soon

I think you picked a funny time to get bloods since you had only been off tren for two weeks. Ideally it should have either been right away to see how bad they got or 6-8 weeks later once they were back to baseline. From those specific results, triglycerides are the bad one but since you are right before, we don't know how legit that number is. You'll want to reduce LDL too. I'd strongly advise getting your inflammation level (CRP) tested when you go back.

I think you picked a funny time to get bloods since you had only been off tren for two weeks. Ideally it should have either been right away to see how bad they got or 6-8 weeks later once they were back to baseline. From those specific results, triglycerides are the bad one but since you are right before, we don't know how legit that number is. You'll want to reduce LDL too. I'd strongly advise getting your inflammation level (CRP) tested when you go back.
Thanks NH
It was scheduled BW from doc.
I'm getting BW in a few weeks again and will get a full panel

Keep in mind that LDL results in the USA are usually calculated not directly measured and the method for calculating is not accurate if you have lower triglycerides.

The impact of low serum triglyceride on LDL-cholesterol estimation.
Ahmadi SA1, Boroumand MA, Gohari-Moghaddam K, Tajik P, Dibaj SM.

Abstract
Most clinical laboratories directly measure serum triglyceride, total cholesterol, and high- density lipoprotein cholesterol. They indirectly calculate low-density lipoprotein cholesterol value using the Friedewald equation. Although high serum triglyceride (>400 mg/dL or 4.52 mmol/L) devaluates low-density lipoprotein cholesterol calculation by using this formula, effects of low serum triglyceride (<100 mg/dL or 1.13 mmol/L) on its accuracy is less defined.Two hundred thirty serum samples were assayed during a one-year period. In 115 samples, the triglyceride level was below 100 mg/dL and in 115 samples from age- and sex-matched patients the triglyceride level was 150 - 350 mg/dL (1.69 - 3.95 mmol/L). In both groups total cholesterol was above 250 mg/dL (6.46 mmol/L). On each sample, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and triglyceride were directly measured in duplicate and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol measured directly and calculated with Friedewald equation as well. Statistical analysis showed that when triglyceride is <100 mg/dL, calculated low- density lipoprotein cholesterol is significantly overestimated (average :12.17 mg/dL or 0.31 mmol/L), where as when triglyceride is between 150 and 300 mg/dL no significant difference between calculated and measured low-density lipoprotein cholesterol is observed. In patients with low serum triglyceride and undesirably high total cholesterol levels, Friedewald equation may overestimate low-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentration and it should be either directly assayed or be calculated by a modified Friedewald equation. Using linear regression modeling, we propose a modified equation.
PMID: 18426324 DOI: 08113/AIM.0014
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18426324

Here is an online calculator:
https://www.thecalculator.co/health/LDL-Calculator-683.html

Last edited:
More than likely your trigs are transiently elevated from your previous meal; otherwise known as postprandial triglyceride rise. Your dietary fats would be the major player next to carb consumption. They're concerning at first glance.

As far as being fasted. It would have been helpful as a baseline on knowing your triglycerides, lipids, not so much. Considering that's not the case, we have no clue on how much your triglycerides shot up postprandial. Nonetheless, considering fasting next time.

As far as the interrelationships between triglycerides and HDL. Generally they inverse each other, as one rises the other falls.

Something to keep in mind. If your triglycerides are not of an upward shift postprandial, this can play a role with the potential to set the stage for endothelial dysfunction and possibly acute pancreatitis. The ladder would be less likely with your given ranges. Although if these values continues to rise, the possibility is there.

As for correcting these. I would consider incorporating either a Mediterranean type of diet or a ketogenic diet. I would consider throwing in some intermittent fasting along with some good ole HIIT training.

More than likely your trigs are transiently elevated from your previous meal; otherwise known as postprandial triglyceride rise. Your dietary fats would be the major player next to carb consumption. They're concerning at first glance.

As far as being fasted. It would have been helpful as a baseline on knowing your triglycerides, lipids, not so much. Considering that's not the case, we have no clue on how much your triglycerides shot up postprandial. Nonetheless, considering fasting next time.

As far as the interrelationships between triglycerides and HDL. Generally they inverse each other, as one rises the other falls.

Something to keep in mind. If your triglycerides are not of an upward shift postprandial, this can play a role with the potential to set the stage for endothelial dysfunction and possibly acute pancreatitis. The ladder would be less likely with your given ranges. Although if these values continues to rise, the possibility is there.

As for correcting these. I would consider incorporating either a Mediterranean type of diet or a ketogenic diet. I would consider throwing in some intermittent fasting along with some good ole HIIT training.
What dietary fats should I remove/replace and with what?

Thanks for writing that out, I actually enjoy eating keto

Not what you asked but I take 20mg atorvastatin 3x a week and it dropped my cholesterol from 170 to 123 over the last year consistently and decreased my LDL by 10pts.

Quite a few of my buddies who cycle year round also take statins low dose a few times a week and it has greatly offset any changes they would normally see from AAS.

Somewhat surprisingly as it hasnt been studied but normally when they take orals there HDL drops down to well below 20. While taking statins there HDL drops from 50's down to about 40. I find this interesting...

I just got back some new blood results today. For years my triglycerides have been in the low 300's and HDL 20-30. My last previous test with those was 6 months ago. Today my tris are 134 and HDL is 54. Here is a list of what I have done different during that time in terms of supplements and lifestyle:

Added:
Citrus bergamot 500mg 2 x day
Swanson Krill Oil 4000mg per day
TUDCA 250mg per day(liver enzymes have gone down but still a tad high)
Advanced Astragalus by Dragon Herbs 6 capsules per day

I have also started doing regimented cardio of walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes(HR 120-130), 4 days a week.

My guess is that it was a combination of my liver working better, the cardio, and the supplements; but what it was it is a substantial difference.

My lipids also suck, I was on on tren last time I felt with this but either way I always have to combat it.

Haven't tried krill oil, but I switched my diet up to include a lot more monos and less starches including a lot of omegas
Tudca always helps but didn't impact it a lot
What worked wonders for me was 1 gram of niacin during my blasts, reccomended by my doctor

The flushing sucks, but in the past it lowered my ldl from 250 to 160 and raised my hdl from 11 to 44 significant difference especially when running tren. I didn't do cardio but I did meet a Ukrainian girl at the time so I was having multiple hour sex sessions 🤔 So maybe that had an effect too.

Good luck man, just remember while it may not kill you instantly there is no doubt it's stressing your body out in the long run so something to manage for sure.

Last edited:
There's plenty research about how plant based diet are the best solution to lower cholesterol, I don't need to prove you any medical research cause I have done it myself every time I do blood work, continue eating egg's yolk and look at the nutrition facts in 1 whole egg and the amount of cholesterol, by eating plant based you don't have to live on fruit and vegetables, vital
Gluten also known as Seitan contains more protein by weight than any meat, there's ground Seitan, hot dogs and any type of meat made out of it
I'll leave you with 2 pictures of pure Wheat Gluten so you can see how much protein is in just a quarter of a cup
Here is a picture I took from a package of gluten wheat
Some of us here are descendents of Hercules & belong to the immortal Spartan race & consider this flat out blasphemy!

If the protein you are consuming does NOT come from a source which ...

-plants four feet on the ground (this includes dairy)

- Flies (includes eggs)

- Swims

It's not fucking protein!

It's just calories (no not free zero calories). You do count it towards your established given daily quota as calories but no as your daily protein goal.

Dear human no offence given or taken. Please carry on eating your mortal protein sources. All the best.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Professional Muscle mobile app

I just got back some new blood results today. For years my triglycerides have been in the low 300's and HDL 20-30. My last previous test with those was 6 months ago. Today my tris are 134 and HDL is 54. Here is a list of what I have done different during that time in terms of supplements and lifestyle:

Added:
Citrus bergamot 500mg 2 x day
Swanson Krill Oil 4000mg per day
TUDCA 250mg per day(liver enzymes have gone down but still a tad high)
Advanced Astragalus by Dragon Herbs 6 capsules per day

I have also started doing regimented cardio of walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes(HR 120-130), 4 days a week.

My guess is that it was a combination of my liver working better, the cardio, and the supplements; but what it was it is a substantial difference.

Thank you very much for that info!!!

How long were you taking these before you saw improvement?

Some of us here are descendents of Hercules & belong to the immortal Spartan race & consider this flat out blasphemy!

If the protein you are consuming does NOT come from a source which ...

-plants four feet on the ground (this includes dairy)

- Flies (includes eggs)

- Swims

It's not fucking protein!

It's just calories (no not free zero calories). You do count it towards your established given daily quota as calories but no as your daily protein goal.

Dear human no offence given or taken. Please carry on eating your mortal protein sources. All the best.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Professional Muscle mobile app

That's the most reculous post I've seen, seriously you are dismissing all sources of protein that don't come from animal, where the hell animals that don't eat meat get their sources of protein? Most of the case from plants
Dude I'm the biggest I've ever been in my life not using whey protein, only on eggs, plant based protein powders and minimal consumption of animal like fish and grass fed meat only 1 serving per week, all the beans, gluten wheat nuts I take in daily basis diet put on me the best lean body mass,I dropped the whey, casein, bacon, chicken for better sources of plant, eggs, grass fed meat and fish and my body is at his best than when I was eating tons of whey, chicken and faty meats.
For you to dismissed proteins that comes from plant is ridiculous and come with actual prove and medical research not your opinion based in what you hear from everybody, not only plant have full profile of amino acids and is a complete source of protein but from plants comes all the cure to cholesterol, diabetes and cardio vascular disease, all or most supplements, vitamins comes from plants not from a chicken and a cow
All I'm saying is that plant based works as well as your animal source of protein, I'm not saying stop eating animal, yes they are high in protein, but there's alternatives also for everybody, I have met and seen huge vegetarian bodybuilders in fact thousands that I follow on Instagram and they don't do a diet of fruit and vegetables only

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear