over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Improving Your Immune Health: Ways to Strengthen Your Immune System:

orozco

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
At a time when people are exposed to more than 200 different cold viruses, severalstrains of the flu, and hosts of allergens, having a healthy immune system is more important than ever before. Still, modern life constantly challenges immune function, which is why public health officials offer this important advice: don’t take your immune system for granted.

What can you do to ensure that your immune system is healthy and ready to shield your body from infection? Here is what you need to know:

1. Find Ways to Relax

Because stress produces many different effects on the endocrine systems, including the well-known “fight or flight” response, scientists hypothesize that your immune system may become weakened after frequent activation of the autonomic nervous system in the case of chronic stresses. There are a number of techniques to help you relax, such as deep breathing or yoga, which can reduce mental and physical stress, tension and anxiety, promote good sleep, lower blood pressure and slow down your heart rate. Listening to music also reduces stress and relieves anxiety, as does relaxing in a hot bath.

2. Sleep Matters.

Besides leaving you feeling sluggish, irritable, and forgetful, not getting enough sleep can reduce the effectiveness of your immune system by up to 50 percent. This is because sleep time is when the body and immune system do most of its repairs and rejuvenation. Strive to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Remember rest and relaxation go hand in hand.

3. Feed Your Immune System Well.

According to a number of studies, not getting enough nutrients in the diet can weaken the immune system. That is why nutritionists recommend a -well-balanced diet that includes plenty of fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy products and whole grains. Of special importance are foods that are rich in antioxidants (like vitamins C, E, beta carotene and lycopene), omega-3 fatty acids, and folate. Antioxidants fight and neutralize free radicals, which are molecules that damage cells and cause heart disease, cancer and premature aging. Omega-3 fatty acids (a polyunsaturated fat) have anti-inflammatory,
cardiovascular-enhancing and immune-regulating properties while folate prevents age-related cognitive decline, damage to blood vessels and brain cells.

4. Get Physically Active

Being physically active -- which means walking, climbing stairs, dancing, and other activity that involves movement -- strengthens your immune system, cardiovascular system, heart, muscles and bones. Being active also stimulates the release of endorphins, improves mental functioning, concentration/attention and cognitive performance, and lowers cholesterol, blood pressure, cortisol and other stress hormones.

5. Lose Weight in a Healthy Way

If you are overweight, losing weight is a healthy thing to do. But research finds that a rapid weight loss of more than 2 pounds a week can have negative immune effects. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), successful weight loss is typically losing about 10 percent of your body weight in six months. Towards this end, experts recommend losing about ¾ to 2 pounds per week and not more than 3 pounds per week (weight loss may be faster at the start of a program). When it comes to successful weight loss and weight management, steady and slow is the way to go.

6. Wash Your Hands

One of the best ways to prevent the spread of microorganisms that cause infections is good hand hygiene. Washing your hands with soap and water several times per day and always before you eat greatly reduces your exposure to bacteria and viruses. In case you cannot wash with soap and water when you are away from home, carry some alcohol-based hand wipes with you to control microbial exposure and transmission.

7. Don’t Get Too Much Sun

Unprotected sun exposure is linked with immune suppression. That is why cold sores often appear following time spent in the sun. To protect your immune system, always wear a sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher.

8. Take Advantage of Immune-Supporting Supplementation

A balanced diet containing fruits, vegetables and whole grains is important to keep the immune system functioning effectively. But many Americans have nutritionally deficient diets, which is why it is now possible to take supplements containing herbs that have immunoactive properties. This means the herbs work in combination to naturally increase the body’s production of interferon, the protein that triggers the body’s immune system to mount an immune response.

Some of the botanicals with these immune-boosting properties are pumpkin seed extract, plantago seed, safflower flower, and Japanese honeysuckle flower buds.

I once read somewhere that AAS can suppress your immune system. I read somewhere else that AAS helps your immunity.

Anyone here ever see any studies that tell us which it is?

I once read somewhere that AAS can suppress your immune system. I read somewhere else that AAS helps your immunity.

Anyone here ever see any studies that tell us which it is?

Studies no, but let me tell you it suppresses it. I only ever get colds on cycle. Not bad ones but off cycle i never catch anything, fucking bulletproof. No study will change my mind either

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

i am the complete opposite when i am on gear i never get sick when i lower my dose or come off which i haven't in a long time three weeks or so and i am sick.

i am the complete opposite when i am on gear i never get sick when i lower my dose or come off which i haven't in a long time three weeks or so and i am sick.

Lol, Nothing is ever consistent in this game from 1 person to another

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cycle or not there about the same...

But if I don't get quality sleep, BAM, it hits hard! :(

The washing your hands trick does wonders, I started using the antibacterial gel available at my gym (like purell) before I head home and it makes a huge difference. I also make sure to keep my hands away from my mouth and away from food until I've washed up and I haven't been sick since I started doing this 2 years ago.

Let's indulge a little deeper

Immune System Imbalance (TH2 Dominance)

The quality of an individual's immune system can be evaluated through the balance of cytokines it is producing. This increasingly popular classification method is referred to as the Th1/Th2 balance. Interleukins and interferons are called “cytokines” which can be grouped into those secreted by Th1 type cells and those secreted by Th2 type cells. Th1 cells promote cell-mediated immunity while Th2 cells induce humoral immunity.

These two different methods exist by which the body fights infections. While cellular immunity (Th1) directs Natural Killer T-cells and macrophages to attack abnormal cells and microorganisms at sites of infection inside the cells, humoral immunity (Th2) results in the production of antibodies used to neutralize foreign invaders and substances outside of the cells.

In many cases, an infection is fought with both arms of the immune system. At other times predominantly one is needed to control an infection. A healthy immune system is both balanced and dynamic: it should be balanced between Th1 and Th2 activity, switching back and forth between the two as needed. This allows for a quick eradication of a threat and then a return to balance before responding to the next threat. The inability to respond adequately with a Th1 response can result in chronic infection and cancer; an overactive Th2 response can contribute to allergies, various syndromes and play a role in autoimmune disease. In end stage illnesses, both arms of the immune system fail.

Two mechanisms are at work contributing to the development of chronic diseases.

Pathogen defense mechanisms. When an immature immune cell is exposed to a virus, cancer, yeast, or intracellular bacteria (for example mycoplasma or chlamydia pneumonia), a Th1 response should be initiated. Viruses, especially herpes viruses such as EBV, CMV or HHV6, make proteins that mimic a particular cytokine. By this means the virus deceives the immune system into thinking that the threat is not coming from a virus. The immune system counters with too little of a Th1 response, the virus remains concealed and the infection becomes active or chronic. It is now thought that many, if not most, pathogens have this defensive ability. Immune system imbalance. In the above example, the virus has increased its chances of survival by diverting an immune system which is out of balance. It would have been able to respond more accurately if it were healthier. Immune system health is influenced by how we eat and think, our exposure to chemicals and our genetic heritage. In effect we are being judged as individuals for the poor lifestyle decisions we and our parents have made and as a society for not living in greater harmony with nature.

A failure of the Th1 arm of the immune system and an overactive Th2 arm is implicated in a wide variety of chronic illnesses. These include AIDS, CFS, candidiasis, multiple allergies, multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS), viral hepatitis, gulf war illness, cancer and other illnesses. If these two arms of the immune system could be balanced by stimulating Th1 and decreasing Th2, then many of the symptoms associated with these chronic illnesses would diminish or disappear and we would have found the answer to immune restoration and balance or the equivalent of a cure.

A possible line of therapy being investigated by the medical community is to reintroduce some of these cytokines to people who have severe immune deficiencies. This approach can be tricky because large amounts of any particular cytokine can have serious side-effects. Furthermore, their half-life in the body is usually relatively short and they are expensive.

One point to remember for general application with naturally occurring or synthetic immuno-modulators is that when they are taken continuously, at the same dose, they may become less effective. The dose must vary so that the immune system does not reset itself to the old balance point. Adjust the dose up and down as well as stopping use from time to time.

There are many natural agents available to help restore balance in an underactive Th1 arm. These include: Omega-3 fatty acids, monounsaturated fats found in olive and hazelnut oils, vitamin A cod liver oil, l-Glutamine, Silica, digestive enzymes, friendly intestinal flora or soil based organisms (SBOs), ginseng (Red Korean or concentrated Siberian Ginseng extract), chlorella (spirulina and some other sea vegetables may have similar benefits), thyroid hormones, garlic (raw or aged extract), l-Glutathione (or products that raise levels), DHEA or AED (androstendiol), UV-A light, vitamin E, transfer factor (antigen specific) - protein immunomodulators extracted from colostrum, colostrum, low dose naltrexone, IP6, lentinian and certain other mushrooms, Thymus extracts, licorice root, dong quai, beta 1,3-glucan, noni, neem, gingko biloba, exercise, water (to aid detoxification), a positive attitude and prayer, the ability to forgive and be compassionate, and having long-term goals.

Factors that induce Th2 cytokines and suppress cell-mediated immunity. Processed, heated vegetable oils high in trans-fatty acids and linoleic acid (safflower, soy, canola, corn and sunflower), glucose (white sugar), asbestos, lead, mercury and other heavy metals, pesticides, air and water pollutants, progesterone, prednisone, morphine, tobacco, cortisol (in high doses), HIV, candida albicans, HCV, E coli and many other pathogens, continuous stress, thalidomide, UV-B light, pregnancy, melatonin (conflicting research suggests that high levels induce Th2 cytokines while very small amounts induce Th1 cytokines), alcohol (animals studies show that ethanol definitely suppresses Th1 cytokines and induces Th2; beer was not tested and there are some indications it may help), streptococcus thermophilis (sometimes found in yoghurt), candidiasis, circulating immune complexes (CICs - caused by a combination of leaky gut syndrome and poor digestion of proteins due to a lack or HCl and digestive enzymes), sedentary lifestyle, negative attitudes, low body temperature, acid saliva pH, chronic insomnia, inability to dream, weight lifting, and steroids (for muscle gain).

Signs, symptoms & indicators of Immune System Imbalance (TH2 Dominance):

Symptoms - Allergy Allergies to particular chemicals

Symptoms - Environment (High) chemical sensitivity

Symptoms - Gas-Int - General Meal-related bloating

Symptoms - General Minor/major fatigue for over 3 months or major fatigue for over 12 months

Conditions that suggest Immune System Imbalance (TH2 Dominance):

Autoimmune Ulcerative Colitis Lupus, SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythromatosis) / Risk

Hormones Elevated Insulin Levels Cushing's Syndrome / Hypercortisolism

Immunity Chronic Fatigue / Fibromyalgia Syndrome CFS patients are Th2 activated. This means they over-respond to toxins, allergens, normal bacteria and parasites, and under-respond to viruses, yeast, cancer and intracellular bacteria.

Infections Coccidioidomycosis (Valley Fever) Since cellular immunity is responsible for protection against the spreading of coccidioidomycosis, cellular immunity may be depressed in those who experience dissemination. HIV, for example, greatly increases the risk of developing coccidioidomycosis.

Sinusitis Parasite, Giardiasis Infection Parasite, Roundworm Infection Malaria

Musculo-Skeletal Rheumatoid Arthritis A Mayo Clinic study found that the T-cells were 'worn out' in rheumatoid arthritis patients, who do not make new T-cells as readily as they should.

Organ Health Hepatitis It has been suggested that an impaired TH1 immune response appears to favor chronicity of hepatitis C infections. Whether impaired activity of the NK cells in chronic HCV infections is due to a dominance of TH2 lymphocytes remains to be seen.

Respiratory Asthma

Risks Cancer / Risk - General Measures

Skin-Hair-Nails Eczema

Symptoms - Immune System General fungal/yeast infections

Risk factors for Immune System Imbalance (TH2 Dominance):

Lab Values - Cells Low T4 helper cell level In HIV progression to AIDS, there is a shift from Th1 (cellular immunity) to the less effective Th2 (humoral immunity).

Having low CD8 count Treatment of T cells from young and elderly adults with recombinant human IL-12, a pivotal cytokine that stimulates Th1 cytokines, resulted in enhancement of CD8+ CTL activity and IFN-? production in a dose dependent manner (P<0.01). IL-12-dependent enhancement of CTL activity was not always abrogated by anti-IFN-? antibody treatment. These results suggest that deficient influenza virus-specific CTL activity among the elderly is attributable to a Th1 to Th2 cytokine production switch. Immunotherapy with IL-12 could represent a useful approach to correct the CD8+ CTL deficiency and cytokine imbalance among elderly humans. The Analyst note: Increasing the TH1/TH2 ratio by other means may have the same beneficial effect.

Nutrients EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) Type 3 Requirement

Symptoms - Allergy History of adult allergies

Symptoms - Food - Beverages Sugared soft drink consumption

Symptoms - Food - Intake (High) refined sugar consumption (High) hydrogenated fat consumption

Symptoms - Immune System Past general fungal/yeast infections

Immune System Imbalance (TH2 Dominance) can lead to:

Immunity Chronic Fatigue / Fibromyalgia Syndrome CFS patients are Th2 activated. This means they over-respond to toxins, allergens, normal bacteria and parasites, and under-respond to viruses, yeast, cancer and intracellular bacteria.

Risks Cancer / Risk - General Measures

Recommendations for Immune System Imbalance (TH2 Dominance):

Amino Acid / Protein Glutathione Glutathione levels in antigen-presenting cells determine whether Th1 or Th2 response patterns predominate [Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1998 Mar 17;95(6): pp.3071-6]. Increasing glutathione levels helps reduce a Th2 dominance.

Glutamine

Animal-based Thymic Factors Thymic factors highly refined or crudely extracted help balance a TH2 dominant immune system by increasing IL-2 and T cell counts.

Colostrum / Transfer Factor Transfer factor augments cell-mediated immunity or pushes a TH2 to a TH1 state. This is useful in TH2-dominated conditions. Transfer factor may help to rebalance a TH2 dominant Immune system.

Probiotics / Fermented Foods The specific bacteria that that help balance a TH2 dominant immune system are:

Lactobacillus Plantarum and L casei - potent inducers of IL-12 and IFN-gamma. They support mucosal immunity. Bifidobacterium longum - increases IgA (supports mucosal immunity) - reduces candida albicans -improves lactose tolerance. Acidophilus - promotes resistance to colonization of candida albicans.

Soil Based Organisms (SBOs) (bacillus subtilis and lichenformis) produce surfactin that inactivates lipid envelope viruses (HIV, CMV, herpes etc), kills mycoplasmas, many bacteria and candida albicans. By reducing candida albicans, SBOs reduce TH2 cytokines.

Botanical MGN3 MGN3, though a commercially prepared product, is a unique blend of mushroom extracts and rice bran. It stimulates NK function and thus helps balance a TH2 dominant immune system.

Ginkgo Biloba Gingko Biloba may reduce excess cortisol production. Elevated cortisol levels have a suppressing effect on TH1 cytokines.

Garlic Garlic, raw or aged extract, promotes TH1 cytokines to help balance the immune system. Raw garlic can kill many kinds of fungus and bacteria.

Chlorella / Algae Products Chlorella increases TH1 cytokines to help balance the immune system. Other algae products may have similar benefits.

Noni Noni promotes NK function and immunity against cancer.

Neem Neem can help balance a TH2 dominant immune system. It is also an antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial herb.

Diet Increased Water Consumption Monounsaturated Oils Oils such as olive, hazelnut, coconut can enhance TH1 cytokines which help balance the immune system. The adult therapeutic dose may be in the range of 4 tablespoons daily. Monounsaturated fats found in olive and hazelnut oils reduce TNF and increase IgA levels.

Drug LDN - Low Dose Naltrexone Low doses of Naltrexone can help reduce TH2 cytokines to assist in balancing the immune system.

Extract Plant Sterols / Sterolins (Phytosterols) Moducare (a plant sterol product) restores weakened or reduced T cell activity in a balanced proportion of TH1 and TH2 cells. This enables the immune system to effectively counteract viral diseases (common cold, hepatitis, HIV, etc.) and various microbial diseases (tuberculosis, etc.).

Beta 1,3 Glucan Beta 1, 3-glucan is commercially extracted and found in the common yeast. It is also found in oats and oat or rye sprouts. It stimulates macrophage and neutrophil function.

Hormone Thyroid Medications Thyroxine (T4) found in Synthroid and desiccated thyroid is a thyroid hormone that increases TH1 cytokines to help balance the immune system.

(Sources: Am J Physiol 1997 Oct;273(4 Pt 1): pp.125-32 and J Immunol 1998 Jul 15;161(2): pp.843-9)

DHEA DHEA increases TH1 cytokines which help balance the immune system.

Lab Tests/Rule-Outs Digestive Enzymes / (Trial) Digestive enzymes improve digestion and assimilation of proteins and other nutrients, reduce circulating immune complexes that cause antibody and autoantibody formation. Protein digestive enzymes are found naturally in fresh ginger root, raw pineapple and kiwi fruit. Quality proteins support mucus membrane integrity.

Mineral Silicon / Silica

Nutrient IP6 - Inositol Hexaphosphate IP6 - found in brown rice and corn and extracted as a commercial product - promotes NK function and thus helps balance a TH2 dominant immune system.

Vitamins Vitamin E Vitamin E increases TH1 cytokines, which help balance a TH2 dominant immune system.

Vitamin A

herbal remedy

I recently read about a herb called astragalus. It is a Chinese herb that stimulates T-helper and natural killer cells in the body. It also stimulates production of interferon, the body's own antiviral agent. I am going to try some next time I get a cold.

I recently read about a herb called astragalus. It is a Chinese herb that stimulates T-helper and natural killer cells in the body. It also stimulates production of interferon, the body's own antiviral agent. I am going to try some next time I get a cold.

I'm a firm believer many of the natural herbs that other cultures have been using for thousands of years work just as well as they claim. Obviously big Pharma doesn't want you to think this. It's a shame "natural" and "herbal" medications are constantly shunned or tabooed while people continue to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars a year for synthetic chemicals that often times can cause more harm than good.

I never get sick on primo,do on other ass though.

I read something a doctor said a few years ago, about not touching your eyes. I quit touching my face altogether when I read that. Number of colds I've had since then? Zero. The flu? Not once. I do long cycles, short cycles, I never get sick, end of story.

I think the whole hand-washing thing is a kind-of cop-out to the fact that people will always be touching their face and there's no way to stop it, kind of like putting on a bulletproof vest instead of unloading the gun--and it certainly hasn't hurt the anti-bacterial product industry either.

If I wash my hands at all, it's before bed when I can't stop it.

immunity

The substance is called Indian Mud(herb). I personally use bc I had ulcerative colitis for over ten years, so while my body was so toxic from this disease I started using this indian mud..... prioir to doing so, I would get a cold every couple months bc U/C makes you auto immune.
Her is the # 1-866-393-5540. Its an old lady so try to have patients. Hope this helps

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws