YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Inability to perform important exercises - Care or no?

Thread title seems contradictory. Seems to me the important exercises are the ones you can perform with good form, good intensity and without pain or injury. If it causes problems, seems to me like it's not an important exercise. ;)

Yeah.

As of yesterday, one more exercise to add to my "can not do list" - leg extensions. I knew it was coming, just really didn't want to drop it because it burns my quads like no other ... really isolates it.

Guess quadriceps is now just Smith Squat and Leg Press...lol

Yeah.

As of yesterday, one more exercise to add to my "can not do list" - leg extensions. I knew it was coming, just really didn't want to drop it because it burns my quads like no other ... really isolates it.

Guess quadriceps is now just Smith Squat and Leg Press...lol

Of course, do what ya can in the meantime, Brotha! But where is that going? It seems increasingly worse and it needs a solution.

I have a similar experience to you so I'm trying to fight it by getting back to being more explosive and most of all FLEXIBLE. My problems started with deads, then squats, then shoulder problems. Fuck all that. I don't wanna be the muscle bound guy in a wheelchair.

Especially as we get older, flexibility from only lifting gets worse and worse if ya don't stretch and move athletically. And I hate being limited, it doesn't feel athletic.

So, I've started stretching more again. Fast forward and lateral movement on the track or in a park. Weighted throws overhead. And twisting, Plyos for knees. Push presses and Med ball throws for shoulders.

Flexibility is coming back fast and my bench is headed back up, and knees feel way better! Once my lower back is in shape, deads are my thing next to tackle.

Get your flexibility back. It only makes things better.

For those with shoulder issues. Seems to occur at some point for almost everyone who lifts.

There is a book called "Treat your own rotator cuff" by Jim Johnson
GET IT! Literally changed my life as I use my shoulders alot at work.

I went from barely being able to sleep thru the night my shoulders would hurt so bad to feeling normal now. Still have one shoulder thats a bit weak but it doesn't hurt. This book gives you stretches and exercises and it goes into great detail of the mechanics behind hurting your shoulder and tells you the muscles to strengthen and the way you need to hold your shoulder when performing work to prevent injury. He has tons of citations and detail.

Any of the personal trainers and people who love the details on training here should get this book. I don't give such high recommendations lightly.
I am in no way affiliated with the author

This book leads me to believe most of the pain problems lifting could be solved with the kind of detailed knowledge he provides for shoulders. I don't have resources for other movements and body parts but surely they are out there.

Last edited:
I wish my problem was an RC issue. I tore my distal bicep tendon(it's in your delt area) on a body-weight dip warmup ...extremely easy warmup...1 year into lifting. Ever since my shoulder easily gets inflamed from anything except a few exercises like Incline/Decline Smith,Incline Dumbbell Bench,1 Hammer Strength and cable flyes/side raises.

=/

I wish my problem was an RC issue. I tore my distal bicep tendon(it's in your delt area) on a body-weight dip warmup ...extremely easy warmup...1 year into lifting. Ever since my shoulder easily gets inflamed from anything except a few exercises like Incline/Decline Smith,Incline Dumbbell Bench,1 Hammer Strength and cable flyes/side raises.

=/

I am curious were you using any meds(not anabolics) prior to this and the other injuries. There is a thread on here I believe about fluroquinolone antibiotics that can basically shred tendons and connective tissues in some people. I believe there are other meds which can have major negative impacts on connective tissues and I always wonder when I hear someone describe so many problems like you are if one of these might not be the root cause.

Sigh, I wish because it would give a Damn explanation. No, I used no medications or anabolics whatsoever.

I was literally able to do Dips no problem, and one day just warmed up with easy 15-20rep warmup and boom, the absolute worst pain I have had all night long and couldn't sleep. It was terrible, couldn't believe how bad it hurt.

I really messed up my lower back (L5 is deteriorating) early on in the game...too much deadlifting/squating with back form because I was young/stupid/inexperienced. Now if I try doing either, no matter how light the weight or perfect the form, it's instantly painful, and the next day I'm practically immobile. Sitting for long periods (I travel a lot) isn't great either.

Long story short, I've found other ways. For the longest time I was down on myself because I just thought I'd never be able to grow the way I wanted due to the injury. That's a lie. There are a million ways to skin a cat. Horizontal hack squat machines and leg extensions absolutely KILL my quads. Seated leg curls and laying leg curls both do things to my hammies that I'm almost certain promotes growth better than SLDLs ever did for me. Although I've never found an exercise that seems to work everything as well as deadlifts, I've certainly found a great deal of back exercises that allow me to really isolate and stimulate my lats. I'd say the largest issue is my lower back...back extensions are about the only thing I can do for growth, and even on those I can't get too heavy without some noticeable discomfort at my lower back (bad pain, not good burn).

So much of lifting doesn't depend on exercise. Your personal focus, muscle mind connection, intensity, etc. dictate your results a lot more than chosen exercises, IMO. I'm sure the guy doing 1/4 squats with heavy weight thinks he's getting the best leg workout in the world, but I'd take burning the hell out of my quads and getting a massive pump with a leg extension over those any day of the week.

Biggest regret from the injury, though, is bent-over rows. My lower back makes those next to impossible to do, and those hit my lats in an incredible way.

Last edited:
Do Yates Rows @ approximately 70 degrees. Far more effective lat workout than bent over rows, trust me; it's scientific too. Hopefully you can do those!

I can't do hamestring curls with out my calves cramping. I can deadlift mid 400s with not belt but can hardly leg curl a few pounds or do a flute ham raise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner