over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Incline barbell presses

I know it sounds cliche, but to be a better presser you have to practice pressing.

I know it sounds cliche, but to be a better presser you have to practice pressing.

I agree with that to a certain extent for sure, but on 90% of the exercises I do everything is fine with the way my training is programmed. Some exercises I'm absolutely destroying. That tells me it works and can be done with the current volume, intensity, and frequency. This is one of the exercises I seem to need to tweak for myself and simply can't just do it the way everyone else does.

I didn't modify anything to get out of a plateau. How I'm training came out of assessing progress and recovery over the last three years.
If you are really focused on getting the max weight up youll want to use some tactics that power lifters do. Bands, partial reps, and using boards are some examples. Id get some advice from successful powerlifters on what to do. One thing I used to practice in the squat was doing the part of the squat where I was weakest at, at the bottom. So I would squat down to the lowest point and the come up only about 1/3 the way max and then go back down again. You could work the bottom of the press if youre weak there, or if you think your triceps are limiting you then do the top 1/3. etc You can also try pause reps, where on bench you could pause it at the bottom for a count of 5 seconds and then press it up. You could pause anywhere along the path the bar follows to work that part of the movement.

repeat post

If you are really focused on getting the max weight up youll want to use some tactics that power lifters do. Bands, partial reps, and using boards are some examples. Id get some advice from successful powerlifters on what to do. One thing I used to practice in the squat was doing the part of the squat where I was weakest at, at the bottom. So I would squat down to the lowest point and the come up only about 1/3 the way max and then go back down again. You could work the bottom of the press if youre weak there, or if you think your triceps are limiting you then do the top 1/3. etc You can also try pause reps, where on bench you could pause it at the bottom for a count of 5 seconds and then press it up. You could pause anywhere along the path the bar follows to work that part of the movement.

All of my chest presses are ugly in the concentric. Slow coming up, which I guess is where the issue is. I think I'll give partials a try in the form of dead stop inclines. I saw Roman Fritz doing them and they might be helpful as I need to get better at driving up without the stretch reflex.

All of my chest presses are ugly in the concentric. Slow coming up, which I guess is where the issue is. I think I'll give partials a try in the form of dead stop inclines. I saw Roman Fritz doing them and they might be helpful as I need to get better at driving up without the stretch reflex.
Banded work can really help build explosiveness on the concentric portion as well as chains

Roll your shoulders/scapula back. Start with light weight; warm up ; chest up; pause for 2 seconds at the bottom; don’t lock out on top.. elbows down like you’re bench pressing

One thing I've noticed is WARM UPS cannot be underestimated in value.... Even going nearly to the point of employing the old fashion "pre-exhaust" technique.... Can really, really help... 4-5, even more, sets with 135lbs, just getting a good feel and perfecting form, before even thinking about going up in weight.... Makes a world of differnce

One thing I've noticed is WARM UPS cannot be underestimated in value.... Even going nearly to the point of employing the old fashion "pre-exhaust" technique.... Can really, really help... 4-5, even more, sets with 135lbs, just getting a good feel and perfecting form, before even thinking about going up in weight.... Makes a world of differnce

I second this.

I can spend 10-15 mins warming up before heavy pressing. Lately I've been using the pec deck prior to any pressing movements.

As I get older (34 next month), being warm before sets going o failure is paramount. I'd rather do too much warming up than too little.

Big fan of the Hammer Strength incline press myself.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws