over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Individual Cardio Requirements in Contest Prep

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I’m often asked, “How much cardio should I do?” or “How much cardio did you do for your contest prep?” as if there is a simple answer or a single cardio protocol that will work for all individuals to get into contest condition.

To display the wide variance among competitors, I will outline how two of my clients and I approached cardio in preparation for our shows last month.

Click here for more:
**broken link removed**

I agree. There are so many different factors to consider. Metabolism, carb sensitivity, age, body type, carb intake, insulin sensitivity, etc.

amazed jamie kept such good leg mass on that much cardio. Is she a freak or do you not subscribe to cardio costing you mass in this region?

Informative article thank you.

BTW you have well and truly exceeded my expectations with what you've achieved for my mrs in just six weeks:headbang:

amazed jamie kept such good leg mass on that much cardio. Is she a freak or do you not subscribe to cardio costing you mass in this region?

Informative article thank you.

BTW you have well and truly exceeded my expectations with what you've achieved for my mrs in just six weeks:headbang:

Everyone is different. Jamie handled it well, didn't lose any muscle from it at all. So I guess she's a freak :)

One of the most interesting things you mention is that not only is every person different, but also every prep is different for each person. I have heard other top coaches talk about this also, and I have no doubt it is accurate, but I also find it amazing!

I must hire you for my next show!

very good article Shelby, I like you prefer 3-3.5 mph with no incline. if I start adding hiit and high inclines my heart rate climbs fast, I get very flat and lose muscle

That is very logical. My wife is currently using Dave Palumbo. He sees pictures once a week and makes changes accordingly. Same type of idea, I think. It depends on the individual, and how their body reacts to fat loss.

very good read. i love reading all of your threads and i have been studying your ebooks religiously. Still working on my own prep, but one day i hope to be coached by you...

So one question I have is what is the understanding behind bringing down the cardio and adding calories. How would you explain the effectiveness of this to someone as to ease them from freaking out. Intuitively this idea would make most think they would lose conditioning leading up to the show. I know many things in bodybuilding we do are counter-intuitive but they work.

I myself am about 2.5 weeks out. I always get to this point and feel tapped out on fat loss. I'll get to around 1.5 hours a day of cardio between am and a PWO session amd with at least 1.5 hours in my weight training. I will admit, that towards the end when I run my lower carb days, I will just push and see how much suffering I can take by bringing everything lower than what I would put for myself on paper. As you said in your article, I feel I am pretty darn close for 2 weeks out. I have read about your other clients where you add in more food and they continue to get leaner. I guess I too need the understanding on how this works as reassurance to myself as to make that kind of change or not at this point.

Only taking a guess at this cuz I'm no expert, but after reading over and over again I think it depends on what the calories are and it speeds the metabolism up so that fat loss continues.

So one question I have is what is the understanding behind bringing down the cardio and adding calories. How would you explain the effectiveness of this to someone as to ease them from freaking out. Intuitively this idea would make most think they would lose conditioning leading up to the show. I know many things in bodybuilding we do are counter-intuitive but they work.

I myself am about 2.5 weeks out. I always get to this point and feel tapped out on fat loss. I'll get to around 1.5 hours a day of cardio between am and a PWO session amd with at least 1.5 hours in my weight training. I will admit, that towards the end when I run my lower carb days, I will just push and see how much suffering I can take by bringing everything lower than what I would put for myself on paper. As you said in your article, I feel I am pretty darn close for 2 weeks out. I have read about your other clients where you add in more food and they continue to get leaner. I guess I too need the understanding on how this works as reassurance to myself as to make that kind of change or not at this point.

My close friend "V" that Shelby is training is doing about 2/3 less cardio than she was doing the last few years , eating more and not dreading the meals like she was before. Her previous coach is also an IFBB pro (figure)

I think a lot of people don't have their nutrition figured out and that ends up having a lot to do with needing to do a lot more cardio than needed.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws